The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 18, 2021, 10:51:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2021, 10:51:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tutorial: Resizing Pictures for Avatars (Paint Shop Pro XI, Windows)  (Read 2521 times)
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 26, 2007, 02:51:28 am »

This tutorial explains how to resize your picture for an avatar, using Paint Shop Pro XI for Windows.  If you use a different program or OS, the process will be similar, but not exactly the same (tools and menus may be different).  Click the link in any step to see an illustration.

Click here to see the sample picture.  The Avatar Guidelines state that avatar images must be 100 x 200 pixels or less, and 8 KB or less.  At 1401 x 2486 pixels and 280 KB, our picture is much too large.  We will resize the picture both in terms of pixel size and file size.

Make sure your original picture is open in Paint Shop Pro.

1. Select Image > Resize to open the Resize dialog.

2. Find Pixel Dimensions and enter the size that you want (maximum 100 x 200).  We'll be adding a border to this picture, so we'll enter 98 pixels for the width.  The height should be automatically calculated, and it is under 200 pixels, so we're all set.  Click OK.

3. Now we will add the border.  Adding a border makes the avatar look more "finished."  Select Image > Add Borders... to see the border dialog.

4. Add a simple, one-pixel black border.  Check New Dimensions to make sure we are still 100 x 200 pixels or less (and we are).  Click OK.

5. Now save your file.  I recommend always saving a new file, in case you don't like the results and want to try again.  (File > Save As...)  Don't close the image yet.

6. Now, if we go to Windows Explorer and look at our file, we can see that it is 11.7 KB.  This is too big, so we must now compress the image to make a smaller file size.  This won't alter the dimensions of the image, just the quality.  For an avatar-sized image the decrease in quality is barely noticeable.

7. Go back to Paint Shop Pro and select File > Save As... again.  Enter a new name again, then click Options....

8. In the Save Options dialog, click Run Optimizer....

9. On the Quality tab, there is a setting called Set compression value to:.  The lower this number is, the higher the quality of the picture, and thus the higher the file size.  Above the Quality tab and to the right you can see it says Compressed: 9,382 bytes.  This is too big.

10. Increase the compression value until the number next to Compressed is less than 8,192 bytes (8KB).  The two pictures in the dialog display a side-by-side comparison, so you can see what difference it makes, if any.  Click OK, OK, Save to finish saving.

11. If we go back to Windows Explorer now, we can see that our new avatar is less than 8KB, and ready to be uploaded to our favorite image host and used on TC.

Here's a look at the finished avatar.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.  If there are any questions, feel free to reply to this thread!  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 03:16:18 am by Beachglass, Reason: Added link to Avatar Guidelines » Logged

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: October 26, 2007, 08:25:45 am »

This tutorial explains how to resize your picture for an avatar, using Paint Shop Pro XI for Windows.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write up this tutorial!

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 26, 2007, 08:34:39 am »

Smiley

Any ideas for pulling layers back out of a merged image?

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 26, 2007, 08:36:07 am »

Any ideas for pulling layers back out of a merged image?

Unfortunaly not possible - when you merge an image it litterally removes anything that cant be seen in the final image.

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 26, 2007, 09:03:57 am »

Unfortunaly not possible - when you merge an image it litterally removes anything that cant be seen in the final image.

That's what I figgered.  I was hoping though that there was some kind of super secret 'undo'

:sigh:

oh well.  Smiley

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)