The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 11, 2020, 03:51:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2020, 03:51:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: researching pagan religions - why?  (Read 10383 times)
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 26, 2007, 02:21:51 pm »

Out of curiosity, how many of you began researching pagan religions/paths because of abilities that were unexplainable in your current/previous religious culture?  I notice a lot of peopple seem to come to  paganism looking for answers to 'supernatural' experiences they have or have had.

I found my pagan path independent of my energetic (for lack of a better term) capabilities, but looking back, I can see how once everything merged for me, it was a relief to have these experiences readily accepted as 'normal' instead of wierd or 'you better not talk about it' as was the attitude on my old path.
So, I was just wondering...

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: October 26, 2007, 02:35:02 pm »

Out of curiosity, how many of you began researching pagan religions/paths because of abilities that were unexplainable in your current/previous religious culture?  I notice a lot of peopple seem to come to  paganism looking for answers to 'supernatural' experiences they have or have had.

Not me, sorry.  I have no special abilities and little or no supernatural experiences to investigate, and such things are not matters of religious consideration for me personally in any case.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 26, 2007, 03:06:26 pm »

Not me either.  I came to research paganism by accident and it stuck.

Although the fact that most pagan religions that say that these sort of abilities are OK and not tricks of the devil is part of their appeal. 
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 26, 2007, 03:09:03 pm »

Not me either.

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 26, 2007, 04:50:02 pm »

It depends how you count.

I'd been aware of Paganism in a general sort of way, but not going out of my way to do research or learn things starting in the early 90s. (So, no real Web yet, not many easily accessible books in libraries, etc. Plus, the libraries I had access to were relatively inaccessible for other reasons.)

In comparison, I was interested to a level that these days would likely have resulted in a few hours web-browsing, finding some recommended reading lists for the topic, and doing some reading (plus some hanging out in online discussions or skimming some.) Then, however, since resources were less accessible, I didn't do much with it.

In college, I then had energetic experiences that left me trying to figure out a few very specific skills. While Paganism wasn't the only place I looked (I got a lot of mileage out of some specific fiction - some of it Pagan influenced, some of it not), it was the most useful for my way of learning. (To start with, there was actual *structure* for trying to learn these things, not huge amounts of reading between the lines.)

But it didn't actually influence my religious seeking for another few years, by which point it was just a "Yes, I know those resources were there, along with a bunch of others" rather than "Oh, yes, this is why I'm looking." Plus, by then, my access to serious libraries with useful collections had shifted substantially - and there was a tremendous amount of new information on the Web. Then - and still - I think that all people have those basic skills (we're talking grounding, centering, basic meditation, etc.) it's just that different religious and philosophical approaches go at them different ways. If I'd had more access to things with a more mystic Christianity approach, I might have looked there, too.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
southerngoddes
Journeyman
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 09:08:41 am
Argentina Argentina

Religion: none

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 26, 2007, 05:12:47 pm »

I found my pagan path independent of my energetic (for lack of a better term) capabilities, but looking back, I can see how once everything merged for me, it was a relief to have these experiences readily accepted as 'normal' instead of wierd or 'you better not talk about it' as was the attitude on my old path.

I haven't started my research looking for answers to supernatural experiences........I don't think I have any unexplainable ability Tongue
Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 26, 2007, 05:15:12 pm »

Not I, no supernatural abilities or experiences. Just a love for the gods, my ancestors, heritage, and land.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 09:54:20 am by TomasFlannabhra » Logged
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 26, 2007, 05:41:53 pm »

Not me.  My training as an ecologist made me more analytical than I was.  Curiosity probablly was the starting force.
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 26, 2007, 06:01:45 pm »

Not me.  My training as an ecologist made me more analytical than I was.  Curiosity probablly was the starting force.

My biggest driving force was that I was trying to "find our Mother" because it occurred to me at some point that hey, men can't give birth, only women - what gives? My church had no answers for me other than "we don't question these things", so I went looking on my own.
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 26, 2007, 08:46:23 pm »

Out of curiosity, how many of you began researching pagan religions/paths because of abilities that were unexplainable in your current/previous religious culture?

Interesting how many people felt compelled to respond that this was *not their experience (rather emphatically in some cases, it seems to me). And that was not the question at all.

Anyway, yes. I felt like a freak my whole life, had things happen that scared me and I didn't understand. Eventually I met some people and had some experiences that helped me understand what to do with those abilities and how to live life in an everyday kind of way. So now when dead people and other non-corporeal kinds of folk come and visit me when I am in the checkout line at Trader Joe's, I am prepared and know how to handle it.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 26, 2007, 08:56:47 pm »

Out of curiosity, how many of you began researching pagan religions/paths because of abilities that were unexplainable in your current/previous religious culture

Yes, that is how I began. Sourcing out info, looking for answers. Trying to find the how, why, the what of things that could not be explained. An info hound I became, for 2 or 3 years I searched and seeked. Looking for scientific reasons, looking for spiritual reasons, looking at the why me thing, and the how can I.

Energy Follows Attention
elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 26, 2007, 09:31:41 pm »

It was mixed for me. At first, I was interested because I had been raised with my mom's wonder and love of the old myths (she grew up on Greek and Roman myths, then later found the Norse myths and just fell in love. We're way too alike sometimes. Grin), and of course a semi-belief in real magic. It sort of just comes with reading too much high fantasy as a young child, I think.

I was in high school before I did any actual research though, because I'd hit a sort of glass ceiling in Christianity. I think I turned to paganish and Wiccanish material first because of my past interests in magic and myths, and I just never really stopped hanging around. But I would hesitate to say that my path is *purely* pagan, simply because there are a lot of different influences on my path, and some simply aren't pagan.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: October 26, 2007, 11:00:51 pm »

I've always been empathic, and have recently learned that I am apparently a very strong projective empath.  But that didn't have anything to do with religion or spirituality for me.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 27, 2007, 01:09:48 am »

Out of curiosity, how many of you began researching pagan religions/paths because of abilities that were unexplainable in your current/previous religious culture?

I came at it the opposite way. When I was 14, I started looking into Wicca and magic in order to get abilities and stomped off in a huff when I learned there were "rules" and a "rede" that would limit my quest for Ultimate Cosmic Power(!!!)  Roll Eyes

When I grew up a bit more, my love of Egypt started to grow in unexpected directions and my worship of the gods was one of them. I still don't have any powers but I do get the occassional break like a bus that waits for me or something like that.  Smiley
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 27, 2007, 03:33:47 am »

I came to Wicca because of inexplicable spiritual experiences. They weren't cosmic revelations or anything like that, but I had begun to practice what I would later learn is called spirit journeying, or, as Carl Jung would call it, "active imagination." The religion I'd been raised with (Catholicism) didn't really have a frame of reference for the experiences I was having (at least, not for anything that didn't involve angels or saints), and of course the secular culture at large was of the opinion that anything that happens in your head is just worthless fantasy. But the experiences seemed to be so important, and when I began reading about witchcraft and learned that this was a normal part of occult practice, I said to myself, "Obviously this is where I belong."

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)