The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 05, 2020, 08:16:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2020, 08:16:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: researching pagan religions - why?  (Read 10372 times)
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 27, 2007, 12:53:50 pm »

I found my pagan path independent of my energetic (for lack of a better term) capabilities, but looking back, I can see how once everything merged for me, it was a relief to have these experiences readily accepted as 'normal' instead of wierd or 'you better not talk about it' as was the attitude on my old path.
So, I was just wondering...

Thanks to all that replied.  I saw a mixed bag (which I expected) of replies.  Smiley  That was heartening, as when I went back I could see how I could have communicated a little clearer. 

For those who read my post a little differently, no, I was not asking anyone to claim any powers or abilities.  I claim none that are not anything anyone else can cultivate.  I just have had many unexplainable experiences in my life that Christianity or Mormonism (my former path) had no explanation for.  So I was basically taught that I needed to keep quiet about them or people would think I was wierd.  This raised questions in my own mind that my 'spiritual leaders' couldn't answer for me.

I still have to keep quiet about a lot of what I do/believe, for one reason, we live in the 'western bible belt' over here and a lot of people just wouldn't understand.  But at least my personal beliefs/path agrees with the possibilities of these things so there is no confusion in my own mind anymore.   Cheesy

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: October 27, 2007, 02:21:23 pm »

Interesting how many people felt compelled to respond that this was *not their experience (rather emphatically in some cases, it seems to me). And that was not the question at all.

If only the people who had done so answered, it would hardly give anything like an accurate impression of what proportion of people had such an experience, which was what was asked.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 27, 2007, 04:06:25 pm »

If only the people who had done so answered, it would hardly give anything like an accurate impression of what proportion of people had such an experience, which was what was asked.

I guess I read it as a positive response question, not a negative one, and it did seem that lots of negative responses piped right up. But I see from the OPers clarification I somewhat misinterpreted the question. It is not hard to find people who will say they don't have weird experiences, so it seems like finding people who *do would be more meaningful, if that is what you are trying to evaluate in yourself.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #18: October 27, 2007, 04:32:09 pm »

I think in some ways people bridle at having their religious wanderings simplified.  Examining one dimension of a very complex multi dimensional experience - that encompasses many faiths and beliefs and then expecting a consensus is a little bit black and white in a CYMK world.

I was always curious about 6th sense related things, but I never tied them into faith until long after my faith as non Christian was established.

Faith, and metaphysics have some tie ins, but even within paganism, I try to be careful to second guess my experiences.  Religious paganism often has very little to do with metaphysical paganism.

Over the years I've found more meaning, and more intensity to the experiences that do qualify as metaphysical, although I don't put much weight in them for persons outside of myself.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Julea
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 05, 2009, 11:24:16 pm

Religion: none of the above

taffy junkie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: October 27, 2007, 08:20:59 pm »

Out of curiosity, how many of you began researching pagan religions/paths because of abilities that were unexplainable in your current/previous religious culture? 

I found paganism by chance. I've never had any 'supernatural' experiences or abilities -- I've just always been really emotionally sensitive. I later learned that that was called empathy.  Smiley

Holy short attention span, Batman!
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 27, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

Out of curiosity, how many of you began researching pagan religions/paths because of abilities that were unexplainable in your current/previous religious culture?  I notice a lot of peopple seem to come to  paganism looking for answers to 'supernatural' experiences they have or have had.

Not me. I just started because I found it intellectually more satisfying than mainstream religions.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: October 28, 2007, 02:53:57 am »

It is not hard to find people who will say they don't have weird experiences,

Sometimes it doesn't seem that way on TC. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 28, 2007, 10:51:26 am »

yes, but that's what makes it so unusual and refreshing. But out in the world, even in the pagan world, it is hard to find people who don't look at one a little bit sideways when this topic comes up.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #23: October 28, 2007, 11:06:34 am »

It can be an utter chess game at times.  We can redefine weird, experience, and ability; switching perspectives as many times as necessary to make the adjustments that fit the moment. 

If you're used to it, it's not weird. (to you)

In a world of infinite possibilities, there is no experience that is out of the ordinary.  Only weighted ratios that you have up until this moment been on the other side of.

There is no experience that you will have that is anything but a human one.  You are limited by your tools of perception and thus cannot perceive other than which you are capable of processing.

You could just be absolutely batshit, or better yet drunk, and then it's all up for interpretation by relative parties.

So many ways the plinko can go.  Grin

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Tj
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2009, 01:36:26 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Daoist Shaman (I also associate the various spirits with their khemetic names).

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: October 28, 2007, 01:25:47 pm »

Out of curiosity, how many of you began researching pagan religions/paths because of abilities that were unexplainable in your current/previous religious culture?

Well, I was always a Pagan, with a Daoist look on life. I just did not know these names or labels. More importantly I did not know how all my beliefs tied in together. But nevertheless I was pagan, all my beliefs tied intogether nicely i wasn't aware. So much so, that some friends of mine some time ago thought I was pagan, one of them even asked me finally. Then I said, "huh?" "I never thought of that". I had been on a 'spiritual journey' of sorts for 6-7 years then (this was couple of months back). I did recognise that my beliefs did not tie together as far as I could see. And I was generally spiritually lost. Me being pagan, told me that my religion or spirituality revolved around nature. Which is really true, always was, I just did not notice it, strangely enough. Once I realised that, it just made sense, then I started researching into Paganism. Trying to find my little niche. I ran into Daoism compeletely by accident, through Dao Teh Ching. I read it, researched Daoism, and it made so much sense. Again, I have been trying to make sense of life for a while. What came out of it, was a Daoistic Conclusion. So all is well!!

-Tj

The earth is my home
the universe my temple
and nature: my god.
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #25: October 28, 2007, 02:01:35 pm »

Out of curiosity, how many of you began researching pagan religions/paths because of abilities that were unexplainable in your current/previous religious culture?  I notice a lot of peopple seem to come to  paganism looking for answers to 'supernatural' experiences they have or have had.

While I did have one significant supernatural experience before I started researching paganism (my then-fiancée, now-wife, unconsciously assumed my emotions in a very dangerous situation.  She was 30 miles away at the time, and this act kept me level-headed enough to act wisely), my choice to research paganism was made because I felt like there was no single, all-encompassing truth.  That the truth was fragmented and scattered, held within ALL traditions, and that remaining a Christian and claiming there was only MY truth was a disservice to myself and to all whom I encountered.  I also felt that, while Christianity held some elements of the truth, it also held a great many bald-faced lies.

Once becoming pagans, my wife and I certainly started exploring that isolated supernatural incident, and she has a much more conscious awareness and control of her empathic abilities now, but that was never a driving factor in our choice.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
tasia
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 31, 2007, 08:29:37 pm

Religion: pagan... maybe...

taking myself back

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: October 28, 2007, 10:08:36 pm »

Not me. So far I don't have any supernatural experiences or abilities. I started my research as part of a broad seeking of information about world religions, trying to find something that fits with what I believe now that it is clear to me that the Christianity I grew up with doesn't fit. I've read about all kinds of religions and I find them all fascinating but paganism, as broad as it is, makes sense to me in a way that others don't.

Tasia
a soul newly free
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #27: October 29, 2007, 11:05:28 am »

I came into paganism in a round about way that involved but did not stem from my searching for answers. When I was younger I had dealings with the paranormal and ghosts. I began to research that subject but at that time it did not involve any spiritual philosophy. It was through my search for answers for the paranormal that I came across the concept of paganism and began an off-shoot study that lead to finding a spiritual fit. However, my answers for the paranormal were found outside of the spiritual study and I could have stopped there had I chosen.

Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: November 01, 2007, 09:03:44 am »

So, I was just wondering...

I first got interested in magic for a few months when i was 13, with a friend, largely from watching charmed Embarrassed and had a lot of fun making up our own spells, trying to create storms and doing things i would hesitate to do now (i.e. trying to invoke hekate for no particular reason)... Then when i moved states i stopped all together..

I became interested again after a friends sister declared herself wiccan. I read a couple of her "witch books", the kind that are aimed at teenagers and generally arent any good, and decided to do some research of my own and here i am. The whole magic side of it doesnt interest me that much anymore, but learning about the different gods and branches of paganism really does.

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot
blue Ash
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 17, 2010, 01:16:26 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: November 03, 2007, 10:04:42 am »

I simply began to study Paganism and a variety of other religions because it interested me.
I feel studying the worlds religions can help give insight to humanity over all.
Fascinating to me really.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)