The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 04, 2020, 04:45:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2020, 04:45:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: User Names  (Read 21956 times)
skybyrd
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2009, 01:25:50 am
United States United States

Religion: Feral Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: October 27, 2007, 01:37:01 pm »

A fellow bird/sky-oriented name--cool!

The odd thing is that I've never liked birds, I hate heights and I can barely tolerate flying.  I've always been more drawn to earthy type things.  So I'm not sure why its me, it just does.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: October 27, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

Why did You choose the user name that you use?

It's been my public usename since I was fourteen or fifteen.  Standard email login, etc.

juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: October 27, 2007, 03:22:31 pm »

author=Cent link=topic=3339.msg55931#msg55931 date=1193446089

I chose Juniper many years ago as what I use with my witchy friends and online (with some variations) for just about everything. Juniper is a protective, hardy evergreen shrub (a tough survivor) ruled by Fire. I chose it as Fire is the element I need do work on the most, protection (for me and by me for others) was a main concern at the time and with my passion for herbalism, it was a perfect fit.

Three years later as a children's librarian I found a marvelous little book of that name about a witch and her ward, Wise Child. A charming story, written pro-witch, with my favorite illustrators doing the cover artwork! It confirmed I had the right name.

Link for the books:
http://www.amazon.com/Juniper-Monica-Furlong/dp/0394832205/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-6938520-7943029?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193512365&sr=8-2

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #33: October 27, 2007, 04:01:11 pm »

I chose Juniper many years ago as what I use with my witchy friends and online (with some variations) for just about everything. Juniper is a protective, hardy evergreen shrub (a tough survivor) ruled by Fire. I chose it as Fire is the element I need do work on the most, protection (for me and by me for others) was a main concern at the time and with my passion for herbalism, it was a perfect fit.

Three years later as a children's librarian I found a marvelous little book of that name about a witch and her ward, Wise Child. A charming story, written pro-witch, with my favorite illustrators doing the cover artwork! It confirmed I had the right name.

Link for the books:
http://www.amazon.com/Juniper-Monica-Furlong/dp/0394832205/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-6938520-7943029?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193512365&sr=8-2

Hey thanks...right up my daughter's alley Smiley

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #34: October 27, 2007, 04:02:10 pm »

My name is not religious, but it has become somewhat symbolic to me overtime.  I began trying to write a novel in the Summer of 2001 that has certain allegorical connections to the hell through which a church put my wife and I when we first started dating.  Naming has always been difficult for me, but many of the names in this story came naturally, and my main character was instantly "Thain."

My only exposure to this name previously was through my (British) South-African sister-in-law, whose family uses it as a second middle name in order to preserve a female ancestor's maiden surname.  I loved the name from the moment I heard it, and I discovered that it has connotations linking it to a boy/servant, but also linking it to a lord (lords in Scotland were referred to as thains or, as codified by Shakespeare, thanes, as Macbeth is the Thane of Cawdor and Glamis, Macduff is the Thane of Fife, etc...).

I stick to the "thain" spelling, rather than "thane" because the Oxford English Dictionary supposes that Thane was actually codified because Shakespeare misspelled the accepted spelling of the time, implying that, without Shakespeares "thane," the word would still be "thain."  I also stick to "thain" because I'd prefer not to be directly associated with Macbeth  Grin.

Strangely enough, even before I discovered (through the OED) that Thain had such a divergent meaning (boy/servant and king), I had already "codified" that meaning within my own book's language.

I also occasionally use Fenathen, if I am in a place where someone has already claimed "Thain."  This is just a combination of two characters from my novel, Féna, the mysterious old man working behind the scenes (his name means "messenger), and Thain.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: October 27, 2007, 04:45:18 pm »

Whoops. I've always pronounced it "Mah-ree" instead of "May-ree" Grin I dunno if I can be broken of this habit now... Sorry! Embarrassed

It happens. So now you know, and I don't have to break your fingers. Wink
Silberschein
Apprentice
Last Login:December 26, 2007, 12:03:05 pm
Switzerland Switzerland

Religion: Solitary

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: October 27, 2007, 05:16:52 pm »

My nickname "Silberschein" is the german word for "Silvershine". It has to do with my Witches/Wiccan belief. I like the silver shine of the moon, it peases away the hectic of the day and opens soul and spirit to search widsom and truth. Silberschein reminds me of the flower scented, warm summernights, we have so few here in Switzerland.

My real name is Marianne - french - but grown up in the german speaking part of Switzerland.

B.B.
Silberschein
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #37: October 27, 2007, 05:24:06 pm »

Many user names are symbolic of faith/religion/path. Course not all.
Curious where they come from. What their meaning is to the user or why you chose it?

Found there are a few... I don't think I'm pronouncing right.  Undecided
A little help with those would be great. *smiles*
Hate to think I'm reading you wrong. *pun intended* Cheesy

I'm just Mandi.  lol.

I used to have my Kraft(TM) name of Seichimat which dedicated me sooper dee dooper mother of golden light, Seichim being a healing form and a second cousin or so of Reiki.  Mat is a suffix often used to denote motherhood.

When I decided to ditch the whole Wiccanesque and copyrighted paganism thing, I decided I needed to get my feet on the ground.  Really reassess who I am without embellishment, without incorporating what I want to be, but who I am.  I had to strip everything of all the trappings of wishful thinking.

My mom always called me Mandy, and with my dad it was always Amanda.  Me as me likes Mandi.  There is no pronunciation difference, but Mandy is just too young cuddly and sweet.  My kindergarten teacher used to sing at me.  Everything's Amanda... she's my teddy bear panda... GAG! 

Mandi ends with a line.  There is no trail off, no tail to grab onto, it just is.

If I was going to appeal to the gods of my ancestry, then I had to come to them as me.  Humbly me, plain old me going back to basics, back to the beginning, applying everything I know to find out more. 

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: October 27, 2007, 05:26:11 pm »

Hyacinth Belle was the craft name that I came up with maybe six or seven years ago at when I first got into paganism.
(OMGs! That was quite a long time ago! *cracks lightbulb over her head* Damn, I should probably be doing more by now than I am!!!...)

At any rate, the hyacinth smells really really good. lol. I read somewhere that is symbolizes games and play, which I agree with. I believe it's also associated with Aphrodite, whom I like. (Don't quote me on this stuff, I found this information a long time ago!) There's also myth about the flower...
A Greek vegetation divinity who was loved by both Apollo and Zephyrus. He returned the love of Apollo, but not of Zephyrus. When he and Apollo were throwing the discus together, Zephyrus blew Apollo's discus out of its course. It struck the head of Hyacinthus and killed him. From his blood Apollo made spring up a flower, the hyacinth.

For the belle part... the bell is a tool used for calling spirits, among other things, and is associated with the feminine aspect of gender. I put the "e" on the end because it is a common name and means "beautiful," I'm 90% sure in French.

Voila! It has stuck ever since, both in my email address and a few forums. Although I have since disregarded the use of a "magickal name." My real name is Nicole.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #39: October 27, 2007, 05:26:55 pm »

As far as Genevieve Wood?  That's my real name. Cheesy

There are a thousand people out there TAKING ON Genevieve to sound more pagan and you go for Heartshadow...  DUDE.

At least I had an excuse.  Amanda sounds like a British nanny.

-LIz Pahir
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #40: October 27, 2007, 05:34:50 pm »

I am WarHorse almost everywhere on the net.  It was initially a bow to the Freisian, when I believed them to have been the first horses bred specifically as war-mounts.  (That myth has been busted. Wink)  But it is also a tribute to the uncountable horses who served without consent and often gave their lives, ultimately shaping the world as we know it today.  A personal favorite is Traveller, General Lee's mount.

There is some discussion to the line of Horses being what took the Americas.  Especially the Aztec empire.  A horse made one man like ten.(OR MORE!)  The Aztec who had aligned with Cortes would rub horses sweat on themselves before a battle to try to get a little of the horses magic on them.  Protection. 

I've always found quite a bit of magic in the concept/stories of horses who learned to fight, and react to having reins grabbed by taking a man clean off his feet and ripping his shoulder out of socket or standing over a fallen rider and keeping the enemy at bay to be valiant and rather romantic to say the least.

Even modern police horses impress me though.  Something about not spazzing out over parades, and having a hundred people touching you and underfoot requires some admiration.

-LIz Pahir
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: October 27, 2007, 05:38:34 pm »

There are a thousand people out there TAKING ON Genevieve to sound more pagan and you go for Heartshadow...  DUDE.

At least I had an excuse.  Amanda sounds like a British nanny.

yeah, but Genevieve kept getting shortened to Gen or Genny.

wanna make me froth at the mouth?  Call me Genny.  I used to ATTACK people that called me that.  (now I just ignore 'em .... Cheesy )

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: October 27, 2007, 06:26:28 pm »

Kasmira is my private spiritual name, it means both destroyer and bringer of peace depending on which source you are using, which is fine by me as I tend to embody both of those roles, depending upon the situation.

I used to be Starrywitch on here and when I finally got sick of having a username that made me cringe every time I saw it and I was sitting deciding what to change it too for some reason that I am not quite sure I understand I felt comfortable putting Kasmira down. Kasmira doesn't get used anywhere else except in my head, it is my soulname. So yeah, quite spiritual I suppose.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Elriyan
Last Login:November 01, 2007, 08:29:55 am

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: October 27, 2007, 06:36:48 pm »

I am Elriyan simply because I made up the name and it resonates with me.  I made it up as the female lead character in my fantasy novel and it kinda stuck.

Pronounciation is EL-REE-EN, with the emphasis on the first syllable.

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: October 27, 2007, 07:51:21 pm »

The Aztec who had aligned with Cortes would rub horses sweat on themselves before a battle to try to get a little of the horses magic on them.

I did not know this, but do not doubt it in the least.  Sad, beautiful, and tragic.

Sometimes I wonder if it was not the Hand of the Divine at work: an animal the perfect size (with some careful breeding) to carry a person all day, tractable enough to be tamed, swift and courageous enough to fight in battle - is this more than coincidence?

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)