The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 15, 2021, 03:13:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2021, 03:13:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Teens and Paganism (TC Project)  (Read 73556 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: October 27, 2007, 11:37:15 am »

Following up on this thread (http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=3211.msg53957#msg53957), I'm following Randall's advice and opening a Speciall Topics folder for this project.

Here's how I see it -- but I'm NOT married to any of this.  This is JUST a starting point.

I'd like to see a dedicated section on TC specifically for teens who are interested in paganism.  I see this as an "introductory" sort of section, aimed at teens who are questioning and exploring (to borrow some LGBT language).  I'm sort of envisioning an FAQ kind of site, where the user can move back and forth between topics that interest him/her, rather than having to read the whole thing, like a book.

I don't think it can be the "everything" for all the teens on TC.  Nigel and Kasmira come to mind as teen pagans who have a good deal of experience and would not need this sort of intro, and I'm sure there are others who I don't even know are teens.   Cheesy   However, this project will absolutely require their input and review in order to be effective.

I think we might want to approach this by coming up with a list of topics that we think should be covered, either becuause they're not in the 101 books or because the 101 books handle them badly.  Once we have a list, I'd like to delegate sections to people to draft, based on their own particular expertise.  For example, I can write about CR, but not about Wicca.

I think our audience is roughly 12-18 years old.  That's a really broad range, in terms of understanding.  We're going to have to be very careful with language to both make it accessible and interestng AND to avoid dumbing it down.  We might want to consider two separate sections.

Here's my list -- and, again, this is meant as a starting point for discussion. 

Also, each of these sections has LOTS of subsections.  I'm not trying to oversimplify things, just organize them.  I recognize that each section could have many subsections with lots of info in them. 

One of the major points that will come out through the answers to these questions is that there are as many answers as there are pagans (and maybe even MORE answers than pagans  Wink ).  I think it's really important to encourage critical thinking thoughout this exercise.

STARTING LIST:

What is paganism?  (Star already has a good essay on this that we can use as a starting point.)

How do I know if I'm pagan?

I was raised Christian/Jewish/Muslim, but I'd like to explore paganism.  How do I start?

Can paganism be combined with Christianity, Judaism, or the Muslim faith?

What is Wicca, and what do Wiccans actually DO?

What is Reconstructionism, and what to Recons actually DO?
* Asatru
* Celtic
* Hellenic
* Kemetic
* Others?

What is Chaos Magic, and what do Chaotes actually DO?

What is Voudon, and what to practitioners actually DO?  (Sorry, I don't know the right word for "practitioners".)

(Include other specific "What is" branches of paganism?  I'm sorry, but I'm blanking on them right now.)

Do I have to do rituals, or can I just believe in things?

What kinds of tools do I need and where do I find them?

Do I have to fit into a specific label, or can I just do what feels right to me?

I've heard about the pentagrm (pentacle?), but what other kinds of symbols do pagans use?  Can I wear one to school?

I've heard that pagans worship nature.  Is that true?

I've heard that pagans worship satan.  Is that true?

I feel like there is some kind of presence in my life, but I don't know who or what it is.  How do I find out and what does it mean?  Is it a god/dess?  Or something else?

What is magic and how does it work?

What is divination and how does it work?

What is energy work, and how do I do it?

What do pagans believe about reincarnation?

What is a "fluffy bunny" and how do I handle it if I run into one? 

What do I do if I know a "fluffy bunny" at school and s/he won't leave me alone?

I'm the only pagan I know in my school.  I haven't told anyone yet.  Should I "come out"?  What will happen if I do?

Other people at my school know that I'm pagan.  How do I deal with it when they tease, harass, or bully me?  How do I find supportive adults at school who can help me?

What do I do if my public school promotes mainstream religion?  For example, my school's chorus always sings gospel music, and the drama club is doing a play based on the Ten Commandments.  Do I have any legal rights?  Should I say anything?  If so, how?

My parents don't know that I'm pagan and would be very upset.  Should I "come out" to them?  What will happen if I do?  How can I educate them?

If I keep my beliefs secret from my parents, how can I practice what I believe?  (This is a really tough one.  I don't want to advocate lying to parents.  But sometimes, teens have to practice discretion.)

How do I find a teacher or a group in my area?  What are the "red flags" I should look for?  How do I know I'm not getting into a cult?

Where can I find more resources?
*  What are some good books/authors/websites?
*  What are some books/authors/websites to avoid like the plague?

That's my starting point.  I'm SURE I've missed things.   Cheesy  I'm looking forward to people's comments.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 06:21:01 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject Modified » Logged

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 27, 2007, 11:44:25 am »

I'm a teen, but barely. I'm 19, almost 20.

One thing I would really like to see is a section "tackling" a lot of the misconceptions found in those Wicca/Pagan 101 books. Things like "No, not ALL Pagans believe in "harm none" and here's WHY"

Your format for questions gives me an idea...perhaps we could have everyone who is interested write up an answer for each question, or as many questions as they wanted, and we could present it like those "panel of experts" you see on some websites and books (I can't think of a specific example right now). So you have a bunch of different opinions clearly presented.

Of course, we'd have to make sure that this is done in a way that's not confusing but I would really like to see it made clear that not EVERYONE is alike by any stretch of the imagination, and I can't think of a better way to make that clear.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: October 27, 2007, 11:57:01 am »

One thing I would really like to see is a section "tackling" a lot of the misconceptions found in those Wicca/Pagan 101 books. Things like "No, not ALL Pagans believe in "harm none" and here's WHY"

Actually, I was envisioning that the section on the specific "branches" of paganism (e.g., Wicca, Recon, etc.) would cover exactly those sorts of questions.  I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that.  I didn't want to lay it all out because it would get unwieldy, and this was meant as a starting point.

Your format for questions gives me an idea...perhaps we could have everyone who is interested write up an answer for each question, or as many questions as they wanted, and we could present it like those "panel of experts" you see on some websites and books (I can't think of a specific example right now). So you have a bunch of different opinions clearly presented.

Of course, we'd have to make sure that this is done in a way that's not confusing but I would really like to see it made clear that not EVERYONE is alike by any stretch of the imagination, and I can't think of a better way to make that clear.

That might be a great way to handle the wide variety of answers and to encourage critical thinking. 

I think it would be do-able -- it would just need careful editing to keep the language as consistent as possible.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 27, 2007, 12:05:42 pm »

Actually, I was envisioning that the section on the specific "branches" of paganism (e.g., Wicca, Recon, etc.) would cover exactly those sorts of questions.  I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that.  I didn't want to lay it all out because it would get unwieldy, and this was meant as a starting point.

Ah, that would work!! Just remember, though, that teens tend to read only what interests them so if there is an important tidbit hidden inside a page on Recons they might not see it. Wink (this coming from someone who has 'skimmed' a lot of textbooks in her day.)

I think it would be do-able -- it would just need careful editing to keep the language as consistent as possible.

Oh, I agree. Inconsistent language will make for a very confusing page indeed!!

On that note, we might also want to include a section on vocabulary and terms.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: October 27, 2007, 12:48:37 pm »

Ah, that would work!! Just remember, though, that teens tend to read only what interests them so if there is an important tidbit hidden inside a page on Recons they might not see it. Wink (this coming from someone who has 'skimmed' a lot of textbooks in her day.)

Yes, definitely.  Hence the need for subheadings and links.

Great idea!

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 27, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »

I thought of this a while ago...I think a really important thing for us to stick in there is a good discussion on the goods and bads of working with a group/coven, how to FIND a good one and what to watch out for.

ETA: On second thought I see you already covered this in your list. Cheesy I still think it bears mentioning again. Wink

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: October 27, 2007, 03:05:35 pm »

What is paganism?  (Star already has a good essay on this that we can use as a starting point.)

Actually, my essay is really just about why we're touchy about defining it, which while related isn't quite the same thing...  You might be better off starting from the Primer, although my essay may have some points you could use to illustrate the diversity within Paganism.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 27, 2007, 05:14:13 pm »

Wow. Great starting points, MI.

In addition to the "what do I do about fluffy bunnies" section, maybe we need to add something about... well, let's be flippant about it--"You Know You're Fluffy When..."

Or would that be too snarky? It's not my intention to be snarky. Heck, it could be a humor piece if we really wanted it.

What I'm trying to say is that there could be some kind of disclaimer or essay on logical, practical paganism. It's been proven over and over by Cauldronites that the terms are not mutually exclusive, and maybe something like that can help lessen the whole, "OMG, I think I'm being haunted because I can't find my keys!" syndrome and bring us back to a "Oh dear, I've lost my keys. I must have left them somewhere" frame of mind.

FWIW.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 27, 2007, 05:46:22 pm »

However, this project will absolutely require their input and review in order to be effective.

I would love to help out! I'm afraid that college and all has kind of left me with only just enough time to browse TC, but I am sure I can squeeze a little time in somewhere to work on this Smiley .

As far as points go I really agree with Dania on the page to cover major misconceptions put out by many of the Pagan 101s out there. I appreciate that such misconceptions will be covered in other posts and referenced from many places, but when I was first starting out I would have loved to have had somewhere that cleanly and concisely cleared up a few of those, as it was I slowly dusted them all (I hope) away over the course of reading thread upon thread from TC which, though very enjoyable, took me some time and probably slowed me down a little in my path.

Other things that have come to mind is that it would be really nice to have some "My Story" style pages, I believe that someone may have mentioned this in the earlier thread. I know that I find hearing other people's stories is a very nice way to bring everything down to earth and remind me that just because I don't know anyone who believes similarly to me and is going through similar things to me doesn't mean that those people aren't there. This would also be a possible way to add an element of fun and lightheartedness to the whole thing as I know many people have had some pretty funny experiences related to being pagan that they could share.

As far as pages I could actually help with the development of, I wouldn't really be of much use with regards to any of the major pagan paths, in fact, I probably wouldn't be the best choice of authors for pretty much any specific pagan path for the simple reason that I do not devote myself fully to any one of them. I would be happy to be of help with pages of a more general nature, such as the Do I have to fit into a specific label, or can I just do what feels right to me? page, or one of the How do I deal with parents/relations/friends/school and should I come out or not? style pages as I have had somewhat of a diverse background on that front going to a very liberal and accepting college, having been at a midline school, having parents who are accepting, but with pretty much all of my other close relatives being very strongly Evangelical, being originally from Texas, then England, then Connecticut.

Basically, I make myself available to you Moon Ivy to the greatest extent that my time commitments allow. This sounds like a very interesting project and I am very interested in helping out.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 27, 2007, 06:53:22 pm »

I'm honored that you thought of me, my 2 cents is that the list looks great. I think that is a big thing is that a lot of 101 books present Wicca Lite (no problem with that but still) so most teen pagans start out going omg wicca, and then a few start going eh wicca is that it? I have had to point many a fellow teen to other branches of wicca and other branches of paganism.

On the lying to parents thing, that is a sticky situation. I think that what should be urged is that in your teen years you have a unique opprotunity to learn as much as you can, then when you get out of the hell called your teen years you are more prepped with good knowledge about what is and isn't spiritually fulfilling to you.

Also something I would add would be, and probably major at that to me, guidelines for telling A) What books to avoid like the plauge and B) What people, groups, or types of people to avoid like the plauge. I say this because as I was starting out I fell into a bunch of crazies online, and it would be nice to see other teens not falling into that pitfall or worse into a group that the parents know nothing about, and is a borderline cult. 

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 27, 2007, 07:07:06 pm »

The ones I like best are the ones about knowing when you're pagan and whether you actually have to do the rituals to be pagan. Something else you should do is give ideas on HOW to practice, but not necessarily rituals, spells, or prayers. Like for me, I want to practice paganism, but often, I can't come up with any ideas on *how*. I don't worship any specific deities, and formal ritual isn't for me at this moment (a lot of teens probably don't like formal ritual either because we feel stupid a lot, and ritual just makes it worse.) You should also talk about striking out on your own,as a solitary of an 'official' path or on your own path.

I don't know if this is to general to even be possible, but another topic teens would be interested in is what it's like to be an adult pagan, part of the pagan community. They know what it's like when you're Christian. You go to church sundays, bible study and prayer groups other days, sometimes retreats and missionary work. What do you *do* if you're pagan?

Also, maybe you should include something about experience vs research? Again, just by going by what I have trouble with. I've done a few spells and rituals and meditations and read at least four or five different books and belong to several pagan websites, but I feel insanely inexperienced and that I know nothing about paganism and feel like a poser even though I've done all this. Does that make sense?

So maybe there needs to be a section reassuring teens that this is a perfectly legitimate path, that they can be 'real' pagans, and they will belong someday, if they can't while they're still teens.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 07:19:05 pm by Mithril » Logged

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 27, 2007, 07:24:04 pm »

Moon Ivy~ I have a bunch of essays in my blog, feel free to sort through them for any you'd like to use for this. One called "Teachers and Leaders" springs to mind.

As far as points go I really agree with Dania on the page to cover major misconceptions put out by many of the Pagan 101s out there. I appreciate that such misconceptions will be covered in other posts and referenced from many places, but when I was first starting out I would have loved to have had somewhere that cleanly and concisely cleared up a few of those, as it was I slowly dusted them all (I hope) away over the course of reading thread upon thread from TC which, though very enjoyable, took me some time and probably slowed me down a little in my path.

Oh, I would have loved to have had that too! Would have saved me the "I can't be Wiccan if I'm not Vegan or Karma is going to get me!!" phase. Roll Eyes

Also something I would add would be, and probably major at that to me, guidelines for telling A) What books to avoid like the plauge and B) What people, groups, or types of people to avoid like the plauge. I say this because as I was starting out I fell into a bunch of crazies online, and it would be nice to see other teens not falling into that pitfall or worse into a group that the parents know nothing about, and is a borderline cult.

Oh yea. I fell in with the internet crazies too. Although through that little journey I met my best friend in the world, so it's not all bad. Grin

I don't know if this is to general to even be possible, but another topic teens would be interested in is what it's like to be an adult pagan, part of the pagan community. They know what it's like when you're Christian. You go to church sundays, bible study and prayer groups other days, sometimes retreats and missionary work. What do you *do* if you're pagan?

Oh, good idea!! Cheesy

Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 27, 2007, 07:28:19 pm »

I really like the idea of including a glossary. Linking the definitions to more in-depth articles and discussions would be a user-friendly way of allowing readers to find some of the information they're interested in without having to dig too much.

Betty  Smiley
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 27, 2007, 07:31:35 pm »

That's my starting point.  I'm SURE I've missed things.   Cheesy  I'm looking forward to people's comments.

Thanks.

This sounds like a great idea! I never really read any books or looked at websites aimed at teens, because of all the reasons stated in the other thread, and I think this is a great idea.

There's a ton of information about Wicca out there, so while a section of Wicca is great, I do think that there should be a lot of focus on other area's of Paganism and being eclectic, like this board is in general. The different pages on recon stuff is definitely a *thumbs up*!

Everyone has all ready made great suggestions! I see there is a section on magic and how it works, but do you think it would be advantageous to have a bit about spells in there? Teens (especially young teens) can be, naturally, really excited about casting spellsspellsspells. A bit on ethics as well? (Even just... if you wouldn't do it in real life, don't do it with spells work.) Also, like, the difference between a spell and rituals and what a Book of Shadows is/is not. Although that could go in the terminology I suppose... Or did you see all that as included in that section?

A section on holidays (other than Wicca)?

And I know I learned almost *everything* in the beginning online... in with the "how to find a good group/coven" you could add something about how to know a good forum from a bad one. lol. Wink

I'm just out of the target age range (turned 19 in late August, got into paganism in middle school), but I'd love to be involved... I'd take on an article about "coming out of the broom closet" and maybe some general energy stuff if anyone would have me.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 27, 2007, 07:58:41 pm »

I've thought about something else. You need to include a section on what you do when you're past the 101 stage. How to research from there, and really *what* to research. You couldn't be specific of course, but it's insanely difficult to teach yourself a subject when you don't even have an overview of what you need to know.

And to elaborate about what I said earlier. I really think you should have a little paragraph at least on reassurance. Teens abandoning what they've believed for their entire lives, and probably against their parent's wishes, are very insecure. That could be dangerous because insecure teens tend to compensate in ways that are red flags for their parents and may cause them to come out of the broomcloset before they're ready. While it's true that you can't and shouldn't baby them (no 'everything's gonna be fine no matter what'), but at the same time, teens aren't adults, and do need reassurance that they're not freaks of nature. It could mean a lot to them, even if it's just an impersonal paragraph.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 08:05:34 pm by Mithril » Logged

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)