The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 15, 2021, 03:00:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2021, 03:00:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Teens and Paganism (TC Project)  (Read 73555 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #435: August 30, 2009, 09:25:38 pm »

As soon as the reviewers are finished

BTW, I think the current reviewers are:
Finn
Hyacinth Belle
Kasmira
Sunflower

Did I miss anyone?

Also, just a reminder to let me know when you're finished reviewing, so I know when I can send the doc to Randall.

Anyone who has questions, please post in this thread, or PM me.

Thanks!!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

omera
Apprentice
Last Login:November 29, 2009, 10:24:16 pm

Religion: Wicca

New and Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #436: August 30, 2009, 09:40:45 pm »

BTW, I think the current reviewers are:
Finn
Hyacinth Belle
Kasmira
Sunflower

Did I miss anyone?

Also, just a reminder to let me know when you're finished reviewing, so I know when I can send the doc to Randall.

Anyone who has questions, please post in this thread, or PM me.

Thanks!!
I'm 15.
As much as I would like to, I feel much too inexperienced to answer the questions in the first post (ones like 'What is Chaos magic?').

Harbringer of death and slaughter -
(next time round you'll be the slain)
Refuse the dying man your water -
(thirst when you come back again).
Don't spare the rod don't spoil the child -
(I hope you like to take a beating)
Feed your face while others starve -
(you'd better learn to not miss eating.) - Karma lesson from the song 'thread of evermore' by Skyclad.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #437: August 30, 2009, 10:06:15 pm »

I'm 15.
As much as I would like to, I feel much too inexperienced to answer the questions in the first post (ones like 'What is Chaos magic?').

Actually, Omera, you would be the perfect audience for this FAQ.  It was designed to answer questions that (specifically) teens have when they first start looking into paganism.  Many of the sections are appropriate for any age (such as the sections that briefly describe various branches of paganism and what practitioners do), but there are several sections that are intended to assist teens.  F'ex, we have sections on talking to your parents about paganism, pros and cons of "coming out" at school, how to find a teacher, what to watch out for when surfing paganism websites, etc.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to post it -- at least as a pdf -- within a couple of weeks.  As soon as the people who are currently reviewing it are finished, I'll be sending it to Randall to post.  After he puts it up as a pdf, he'll work on an html version with internal links.

Also, we expect this to be a work in progress.  IOW, we'll be adding sections and adding to existing sections.

So, keep an eye on this thread.  I'll make an announcement here when the FAQ is posted. 

I'll be very interested in feedback from everyone, but especially from our teen members.   Smiley

~MI

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
omera
Apprentice

New and Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #438: August 31, 2009, 02:20:04 pm »

Actually, Omera, you would be the perfect audience for this FAQ.  It was designed to answer questions that (specifically) teens have when they first start looking into paganism.  Many of the sections are appropriate for any age (such as the sections that briefly describe various branches of paganism and what practitioners do), but there are several sections that are intended to assist teens.  F'ex, we have sections on talking to your parents about paganism, pros and cons of "coming out" at school, how to find a teacher, what to watch out for when surfing paganism websites, etc.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to post it -- at least as a pdf -- within a couple of weeks.  As soon as the people who are currently reviewing it are finished, I'll be sending it to Randall to post.  After he puts it up as a pdf, he'll work on an html version with internal links.

Also, we expect this to be a work in progress.  IOW, we'll be adding sections and adding to existing sections.

So, keep an eye on this thread.  I'll make an announcement here when the FAQ is posted. 

I'll be very interested in feedback from everyone, but especially from our teen members.   Smiley

~MI

Am I asking questions that'll be added to the FAQ, or answering them?

I have some questions that might help. Not sure if it has a definite answer though.

How can I tell the difference between coincidental occurrences and ones that came to be because of magick?

(you'd better learn to not miss eating.) - Karma lesson from the song 'thread of evermore' by Skyclad.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #439: August 31, 2009, 06:12:46 pm »

I have some questions that might help. Not sure if it has a definite answer though.

How can I tell the difference between coincidental occurrences and ones that came to be because of magick?

Have you read through the thread?  I'm not totally sure if there is a section on reality-checking magic or not, or it the subject is tackled more diffusely, in sections on critical thinking and the like. 

I am hoping, once the FAQ is up on the site, we might have a new thread on subjects people would like to see added, along with volunteers for writing the new sections.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #440: August 31, 2009, 07:21:03 pm »

Some of the questions you have asked are included in the FAQ.  Once it's posted, take a look. If you have suggestions for additions, let us know.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #441: August 31, 2009, 07:23:40 pm »

Have you read through the thread?  I'm not totally sure if there is a section on reality-checking magic or not, or it the subject is tackled more diffusely, in sections on critical thinking and the like. 

I am hoping, once the FAQ is up on the site, we might have a new thread on subjects people would like to see added, along with volunteers for writing the new sections.

Absent

There is no section specifically dealing with "reality-checking magic", but there is info on magic and on critical thinking.

I love the idea of a thread to make suggestions, once the FAQ is posted.  I will try to remember to start that thread when the time comes.  Thanks for the suggestion!

omera
Apprentice

New and Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #442: August 31, 2009, 08:24:04 pm »

Some of the questions you have asked are included in the FAQ.  Once it's posted, take a look. If you have suggestions for additions, let us know.
Okies. Will do.

Bree
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2011, 07:45:11 pm

Religion: Irish Pagan - New to ADF
TCN ID: Bree

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #443: September 01, 2009, 10:14:54 pm »

Brelan has turned the project back over to me, so please send me your edits.  Thanks!

And many thanks to Brelan for picking this up and moving it forward.  We would not be anywhere close to finished if not for you!!

*blushes*  You're very welcome. I wanted to help from the beginning, but didn't feel I had enough experience/knowledge to contribute.  Sorry I had to hand it back to you - lots going on right now.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #444: September 01, 2009, 10:21:08 pm »

Sorry I had to hand it back to you - lots going on right now.

No apologies necessary.  You revitalized this project and got it to the point where I think we will actually get it posted soon!!  That would not have happened without you.

On a related note, for those keeping track, I think I'll wait until next Tuesday, September 8.  Hopefully, the people who are reviewing the FAQ will be finished by then and let me know.  (Or they'll let me know they need more time.)  If I haven't heard anything by then, I will work over the following few evenings to finish the document, format it properly, and send it to Randall.

After that, we can make additions as Randall allows.

So, reviewers, please try to either finish or contact me to ask for more time.

(I'm not trying to rush anyone who needs more time.  I'm just trying to keep this from dragging out even longer.  It's SO close to finished!  Cheesy )

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #445: September 02, 2009, 06:57:27 pm »

Just wanted to let you guys know so we're all keeping an eye out for those things.

Annnnd today I finally read through the entire thing, and did some formatting to make it pretty and streamlined, though I have no clue how/if that formatting will stay intact when it is exported to a .doc format.

I only have one request: could someone (Kemetic?) quickly do a definition of Netjer (down in the glossary) and follow the (kind of) standard we have for the other entries? I'd do it myself, but I'm afraid I'd leave something out. If no one gets to it by MI's deadline of next week, then I can quickly plug it in just using dictionary.com or the like.

Other than that, I consider it done, and give it my enthusiastic stamp of approval. Great job to the rest of the review committee!  Smiley

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
omera
Apprentice

New and Learning

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #446: September 03, 2009, 07:27:25 am »

A little off topic. I don't want to make any more threads here for a bit. I feel mine are taking up too much space.

My best friend told me I seem very calm and that even my presence is calming since I started grounding. I asked four others about it and they agree that I'm calmer than I was before.
I knew grounding helped me calm myself, but I didn't think it'd be that significant.

Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #447: September 03, 2009, 07:54:18 am »

A little off topic. I don't want to make any more threads here for a bit. I feel mine are taking up too much space.

My best friend told me I seem very calm and that even my presence is calming since I started grounding. I asked four others about it and they agree that I'm calmer than I was before.
I knew grounding helped me calm myself, but I didn't think it'd be that significant.

Omear

I Don't understand the significance of your observation or its relevence to the thread, and since you haven't indicated who you were responding too I am unable to draw a concusion.

what caused you to bring this up here? what sort of comments would you like?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #448: September 03, 2009, 08:01:31 am »

If you want comments on grounding, please take them to one of the threads you've started on grounding.  Simply hijacking threads on other things, especially something like this, is both ineffectual and rude.

HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #449: September 06, 2009, 01:04:37 pm »

So, reviewers, please try to either finish or contact me to ask for more time.

I think I've done all the editing I'm going to do. It's great that this is finally coming together Grin!

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)