The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 23, 2020, 02:35:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2020, 02:35:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How will you be celebrating Samhain?  (Read 4080 times)
tasia
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 31, 2007, 08:29:37 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan... maybe...

taking myself back

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 28, 2007, 10:05:00 pm »

This will be my first Samhain as a pagan and I'm struggling with how to celebrate it, particularly with my kids and my non-pagan but "tolerant" husband. Hearing about how others celebrate/honor this day will be helpful.

Also, how do you pronounce Samhain? I've been thinking "SAW-in" based on several online sources, but in the past few days I've spoken to 3 people who had 3 different pronunciations.  Huh

Thanks,

~tasia

Tasia
a soul newly free

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ghostwolf
Apprentice
Last Login:November 11, 2007, 09:34:52 pm

Religion: Nordic/American Indian/whatever works Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 28, 2007, 10:22:23 pm »

This will be my first Samhain as a pagan and I'm struggling with how to celebrate it, particularly with my kids and my non-pagan but "tolerant" husband. Hearing about how others celebrate/honor this day will be helpful.

Also, how do you pronounce Samhain? I've been thinking "SAW-in" based on several online sources, but in the past few days I've spoken to 3 people who had 3 different pronunciations.  Huh

Hiya, Tasia.  First off, that's the correct pronunciation, as far as I'm aware.  It's the way I say it anyway.

This Samhain, my family and I will be a little more laid back that normal.  We're just going to do a small-ish ritual to honor the season, an ancester blot (Nordic-style ancestor rite), a feast and various styles of divination in honor of the Celtic New Year.

Hailsa! Ghost
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 28, 2007, 10:30:36 pm »

Thanks,

~tasia

In my tradition, Samhain (or Hallows), is the end of the year.  It begins a rest time that lasts until the new year begins, at Solstice.

My group had a ritual to "release the past year and transform into the new", but I havent figured out exactly what I need to release and transform yet.

Another thing my group does this time of year is honor our deceased ancestors.  You might remember the good times you had together, what you learned from them, and do any forgiving that may need to yet do.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 29, 2007, 09:52:31 am »

Thanks,

~tasia

To complicate it...  Grin I have heard it pronounced Sow in. *as a female pig*
I myself pronounce it Sow een. *pig* But then, I'm a Canadian and you pronouce a lot of words different. Cheesy

I see Samhain as the year end. Somewhat like the New Year's eve and day On Jan 1st.
The year winds down and ends, time to reflect on the year passing and look towards a new beginning. Lay down steps, energy follows attention. Where your thoughts are and taking those steps to move forward. It is a time between time, where the viels between worlds are thin. I honour my ancester at this time. *like many*

As far as kids, just following the normal Halloween in todays society symbolizes. Course remove all the negative stigmas that religion placed upon it. *smiles* Let it grow from there maybe seek out some meanings of the symbolizes still used. It is one of the festivals that is easy to celebrate openly. *cept if you go to the graveyard... at the witching hour to meet with your ancestors.* Specially in the cities where unfortunately law enforcement is high due to Vandalism by disrespectful little.... *cough*

If children are small and have never had a voiceless dinner with an extra setting to invite those ancestors to join, it may not be a good idea as they may get spooked.

A few thoughts anyhow.

Energy Follows Attention
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 29, 2007, 12:35:41 pm »

Also, how do you pronounce Samhain? I've been thinking "SAW-in" based on several online sources, but in the past few days I've spoken to 3 people who had 3 different pronunciations.

Iíve also only heard it as SOW-in.

This will also be my first year celebrating Samhain as a Pagan but Iím a solitary. I plan a small ritual to welcome the new year and to also set my goals for next year. I basically plan to light a candle and do a few prayers and ask for the continued good health of my family. I plan to do this in my backyard, which backs up to woods, and wait until mid-night. I know, a bit dramatic but I want to. Iíll say my prayer to Hecate and run through my usual lines. Iíll offer some apples and a small pumpkin to Mother Earth. I also plan to do some mediation and invite messages in my dreams. I also plan to dedicate my wand on this night. Youíd be nuts not to make use of the extra energy running around this time of year.

soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 01, 2007, 12:56:50 pm »

... I also plan to dedicate my wand on this night. Youíd be nuts not to make use of the extra energy running around this time of year.

Cool.  I went with my christian S-I-L to a 'harvest festival' for a little while.  Needless to say I won't be doing that again.  What a joke. 

Then I came home and lit 2 candles for people who died during thje year that I particularly wanted to send thoughts and remembrance to.  We will be carving pumpkins and hosting a gathering this weekend.  I also decorated my altar differently this year.

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 01, 2007, 02:05:58 pm »

We pronounce it more Irish...as for the month of November..."SaahVin" kind of....but then that is a peculiarity of our personal practice, perhaps.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 01, 2007, 02:20:15 pm »

We pronounce it more Irish...as for the month of November..."SaahVin" kind of....but then that is a peculiarity of our personal practice, perhaps.

I pronounce it similarly.  The "v" is actually kind of a cross between a "wuh" and a "v", though.  Kind of a barely-pronounced-"v".  Wink

Brina
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 01, 2007, 03:04:30 pm »

I pronounce it similarly.  The "v" is actually kind of a cross between a "wuh" and a "v", though.  Kind of a barely-pronounced-"v".  Wink

Brina

Exactly!  Kind of hard to describe in 'type', isn't it?  It is a soft word....like the wind blowing leaves across cobblestones.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 01, 2007, 03:59:19 pm »

In my tradition, Samhain (or Hallows), is the end of the year.  It begins a rest time that lasts until the new year begins, at Solstice.

So you have a time between years? That's interesting.

And as to the original question, I just lit a candle and thought/meditated about the people I've known that've died. I also carved a pagan design into my pumpkin after the picture in the pagan pumpkins discussion. You can't get much more discreet than that, I think.

And I've heard people say SOW-in, mostly.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 04:04:27 pm by Mithril » Logged

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
joshuatenpenny
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 pm

Religion: Asphodel, recon-derived eclectic paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 pm »

My church had its public Samhain ritual last weekend. The first half of the ritual varies from year to year, but always ends with a "dumb supper" where we set out a table with the good china and candles and dried roses and give offerings of food and songs and gifts and tears to our ancestors and our beloved dead. On Samhain proper, my partner and my roommate and I had a small private ritual to thank one of my partner's ancestors for assistance he had given to a friend of ours. We baked sweets and made a nice meal for him. It was a surprisingly touching experience for me.

-- Joshua

phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 01, 2007, 09:38:36 pm »

Thanks,

~tasia

Hey Tasia,

I've always pronouced it SAH vin...mainly because in the Irish language text I have the consonants
'mh' in the middle of a word is pronounced as a vee and also the emphasis is almost always on the first syllable in modern Irish Gaelic.

The SOW Wen (ween) as far as I know is Scots Gaelic.

Hope this helps.

Phouka
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 09:40:33 pm by phoukamare, Reason: corrected a misspelled word cause I\'m anal. » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)