The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2021, 12:09:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2021, 12:09:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Conversations with the Gods  (Read 7567 times)
Hiketes
Apprentice
Last Login:April 20, 2008, 02:33:39 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 30, 2007, 03:13:33 pm »

For those people that have two way conversations with the Gods, I have a question, how do you know that what you are hearing is coming from an outside source and not a creation of your own mind.

I'm not suggesting that anyone would make such things up just curious.

“Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.”

Aristophanes

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Theres
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2015, 03:24:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 30, 2007, 03:54:42 pm »

... how do you know that what you are hearing is coming from an outside source and not a creation of your own mind.
the danger of 'projection' is always present during any kind of meditation, and separating this from what might be an actual communication with deity can be difficult.

i can only speak from my own experience, of course, but in my case the lines may not be as blurry.
my patron is Hekate, and nearly all of my devotions are aimed at Her. She is the main goddess of my meditations and the one i communicate with the most ("converse", if you will).

Hekate's main function in Greek myth is as a guide, and this is shown in art by Her usual depiction with two torches.
in my modern practice this to me means shining the light inwards to reveal the shadows. it is about bringing forth from the dark places all of those things which may be beneficial but hidden, or those things more malignant which need the light of day to be dispersed.
so with this in mind it matters less to me than the average person, i think, whether these communications are actually from Her or are merely projections from my psyche. in either case the torch is shining inward and things are then coming out, and hopefully in a beneficial way!

i don't know if this actually answers your question, but there you have it.

"Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed!"
~ Monty Python
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 30, 2007, 04:02:19 pm »

For those people that have two way conversations with the Gods, I have a question, how do you know that what you are hearing is coming from an outside source and not a creation of your own mind.

Sometimes when I meditate on some question that troubles me, I'll ask the Gods for a sign. When I see two crows flying together shortly thereafter, I usually take that as a good omen and I'm not disappointed.

Is that really a sign from the Gods, or just an unrelated natural occurrence? I have no guide other than my own faith.

I long ago realized that I'm a religious crackpot.  Cheesy

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 30, 2007, 04:09:21 pm »

There are a few ways I try to differentiate...One is by familiarity with the Deity in question. Once I've worked with a particular Deity for long enough, I get a "feel" for what they are likely to say or not, and if something is out of character for them, I know it.

I also try to check in some way, if possible. It's not always possible, but I can check with others who have similar experiences, or try to verify with research.

Probably the biggest clue that what I'm hearing *isn't* just "wishful thinking" is when I am told things that I don't particularly want to hear, and if it WERE "wishful thinking" I would not have chosen to tell myself that particular thing. The real, hardcore, honest, "stuff you know is true but don't want to face" heart to heart talks. Usually, I know these things are true, even though I don't want to believe it. (Difficult personal details about myself, for instance.)

Theres
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2015, 03:24:45 pm

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 30, 2007, 04:10:40 pm »

... Is that really a sign from the Gods, or just an unrelated natural occurrence? I have no guide other than my own faith.
this is an interesting predicament, and one that i dare say we all find ourselves in from time to time. but as you say at some point one just has to rely on faith, and that is something that can never be quantified.

"Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed!"
~ Monty Python
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: October 30, 2007, 06:21:32 pm »

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know that they are coming from outside myself. However, when they have happened the experience has the same feel and its a very different feel than anything else in my life. Whatever info I might get is always correct as well -- at least as far as I can understand it -- and generally has info I do not know (at least consciously).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 30, 2007, 10:48:04 pm »

There's two varieties, for me. There's stuff inside my own head, and stuff coming through invocation/drawing down/aspecting.

Inside my head
My biggest cue, originally, was that I was getting extremely strong visual images, when I normally really struggle with them. (This doesn't produce an actual conversation, though, I admit.)

My second biggest cue, therefore, is that what I'm 'hearing' or experiencing is not precisely what I'd come up with on my own. It's not drastically outside my comfort zone, or unreasonably dangerous to me (Challenging, yes. Uncomfortable, yes. A reach, yes. But not 'I'd never in a million years do that.' or against strong ethical commitments or existing oaths.) But it's also not precisely what I'd pick given my druthers.

Outside my head
When we do aspecting work, there's a consistent thing for deity work - they use a specific set of phrases or naming patterns for me, related to the name I took at initiation (which I use only in circle in more intimate settings: I don't use it in large public rituals.) It's been used even when the priest/ess doesn't know that name, or doesn't know what it means (the phrase is related to the translation of it into English.)

It's a really handy cue.

Also, there's just plain a *difference*. Difference in energy, difference in diction, difference in word choices, difference in presentation. It can be relatively subtle, or it can be really obvious, depending. The first time I saw aspecting done, I got told a *whole* bunch of stuff that was more or less verbatim from the last letter my father wrote me before he died - and which the person priestessing (my HPS) had absolutely no idea of. At that point, I went from 'this takes faith' to 'I am *so* convinced', and deity - and aspecting - stopped being a belief thing for me at all, and became a knowing thing.

Also, one of the traditional cues is that the deity won't say things that directly benefit the person hosting them/horsing them. They may make a glancing reference, but it's not going to be "My priestess deserves your X, Y, and Z". There's a bunch of other related small tests you can apply.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #7: October 31, 2007, 08:09:39 am »

I actually have a really hard time with telling the difference.  I do believe that I "hear" the Gods sometimes, but my "that's not me" filters are pretty poor, so it'll often take me a while to go, "Ooooooh, that was You!"

When I do realize it, how do I tell?  It's hard to describe...  It's just a different "feeling" than my own thoughts, I guess.   Often it'll be pushing me in a particular direction that I'm uncertain of or hadn't thought of, but not always.  If it's just telling me to go where I want to go, I tend to get more skeptical, but I don't discount the possibility of divine communication just because I like what it's saying.  Smiley

Every once in a while, too, someone else (usually Shadow) will mention getting a similar message or a similar impression of the feeling I'm getting.  If other people are getting it too, I figure it's that much more likely (although not 100% certain) that it's not just in my imagination.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Kazer
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 08, 2008, 07:33:55 am
China China

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 31, 2007, 08:40:26 am »

Personally, I always kind of worry about that. The first experience I really had was finding my spirit guide, and I could pretty much tell what was me. Usually (my interpretation) it's a sort of voice out of the back of my mind that's not mine, it sounds more open, more like when I think to myself if it's me. If I start 'talking for' a force I always go like "shit, no, that's what I want to hear!" and clear my thoughts until another back of mind thing comes. I'm also pretty damn sure I have the right spirit guide, because they were REALLY not what I expected.

Life's a witch and then you fly.
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: October 31, 2007, 09:32:10 am »

For me, I know it's outside when it isn't prompted by me. That is to say, when the words just pop into my head without me asking, praying,  or even thinking about anything particular. Unfortunately, those seem to come at weird times, like in the bathroom Tongue

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Jendielle
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 28, 2008, 11:46:07 pm

Religion: Discordian cyber-shaman

100% alive parrot

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 31, 2007, 04:14:16 pm »

How do you know that what you are hearing is coming from an outside source and not a creation of your own mind?

For me, when I am being spoken to, I "feel" a presence in my head. As though there is a slight physical pressure in a particular part of my skull, like something has been inserted there. It is not painful but very noticeable. Although I can speak over any words it says, I cannot alter them or force it to say anything.

Sometimes this is accompanied by the feeling that there is someone else in the room with me, particularly if I am dealing with a spirit or deity that I am not intimately familiar with. Sometimes I can even physically feel the presence of something else, if I put my hand on it I will feel resistance as though the air is thicker in that area, but if I push I can move through it.

Imagine a window with a grid drawn on it. We view chaos through this window and align chaos with points on this grid, and mistakenly define this grid as Reality. Different people see through different grids. Some may be more useful than others, some more pretty, but none is more True than any other.
Moloch
Last Login:November 03, 2007, 09:36:45 pm

Religion: Qadesh Syria

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 03, 2007, 06:38:28 am »

Usually my mental conversations are just me thinking of various gods and goddesses throughout the day, and I know they're not conversing with me at every hour.

Once in awhile though I may be confronted by a deity in a "psychic" vision though not in physical sight, and he seems to be speaking to me and telling me things. A few times that has happened though not recently. One was a smiling young god who's body was all shimmering gold like the sun. I wanna say it was like a Helios or Apollo figure. The other a dark shadowy goddess with black hair and eyes. She was also young. Maybe like Persephone? The god gave me a nice night but that goddess gave me nothing but nightmares! Wink

When this happens though, I have no control over the situation, they come directly to me without warning or me calling upon them and it's usually when I'm at the brink of sleep and I feel paralyzed, but I am not yet asleep or dreaming. I am in some sort of trance I can't explain. This always reminds me of alien visitations and abductions. Maybe the gods are mistaken for aliens since most have forgotten about them and who they are in this day and age? Who knows...

The only other times spiritual beings do this and come to me and speak is in dreams. None of these feel like creations of my own mind, but I can't give any definite answer to this one so I'll just say I'm not sure if they really talk to me or not.
bulletproofpotatogirl
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 14, 2008, 09:13:25 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Floating

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 08, 2007, 06:19:13 pm »

I personally believe that what I 'hear' from the gods isn't my own thoughts because I have been given answers I haven't expected. How it usually works in my meditation is that I light a candle and ask Adonis to speak to me if He will. I then go to a predesignated spot in meditation that we always meet at. Sometimes He shows up, sometimes He doesn't. When we do meet, He usually does't stay for as long as I'd like Him to. I can't prove it's really Him and not a fanatical illusion, but that is what experience has lead me to believe.
Anteros
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:38:40 am
Serbia and Montenegro Serbia and Montenegro

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Believe yourself, and no one will deceive you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 14, 2009, 06:07:35 am »

I just let the minds flow. How I know deities are speaking is because I feel shivers or heat in my chest.

The Greatest One, Slayer of evil serpent - the opponent of Majestic Ra, bless all of us...
silvercrone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 16, 2010, 08:28:04 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 14, 2009, 07:29:49 am »

This is an excellent question.  A mental health therapist who specialized in treating the severely mentally ill, I spent years with persons who were convinced that "God", the "Devil", various angels, and numerous other things including alien beings, dead relatives, and their family pets were speaking to them.  In those cases, hearing voices were not the sole indicator of severe mental illness--there were numerous other physical and mental criteria which accompanied those voices.  Perhaps if you hear a voice/voices but in every other way present as stable, the voice could be viewed as "authentic." 
In my own spiritual practice, my professional experience has colored my attitude so much that if I ever heard a diety speaking to me, I would feel greatly concerned and probably have myself professionally evaluated.  This is merely my attitude toward myself, however, and I do not judge or cast aspersions on the experiences of others who post here. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)