The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2020, 05:07:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 05:07:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Divination tools- whats your favorite?  (Read 6296 times)
PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 09:30:17 am
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 01, 2007, 07:33:09 pm »

Smiley I thought I'd ask this one because I work well with most divination tools except that I wont use a ouijah board at all. I use tarot, pendulum, crystal ball,tea leaves, runes and even  on occasion dice and dominoes. I think the tarot is what I use most, and it depends on the question and my mood which I use. I've been doing divination most of my life and am usually very accurate when I do a reading for someone else. So what is your fave and why?

healing, light and peace
White Raven

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 01, 2007, 08:26:47 pm »

Smiley I thought I'd ask this one because I work well with most divination tools except that I wont use a ouijah board at all. I use tarot, pendulum, crystal ball,tea leaves, runes and even  on occasion dice and dominoes. I think the tarot is what I use most, and it depends on the question and my mood which I use. I've been doing divination most of my life and am usually very accurate when I do a reading for someone else. So what is your fave and why?

My personal favorite is my quote deck (which I've talked about here, and also written up for a future Cauldron newsletter: I don't have a link to the previous discussion handy, but if you search on Jenett and 'quote deck', I bet it turns up.) It's a highly personalised deck of quotes from books that are particularly meaningful to me on multiple levels (all fiction - and I think right now, they're all technically fantasy or SF, though that part wasn't intentional.)

The results are snarky as all get-out sometimes, and reading for other people is tricky (because a bunch of the encoded symbology only makes sense if you have access to my brain.) but I've found it really effective for a clear read on a situation - and on useful perspectives/advice.

I also fairly regularly use Tarot - by preference, the Robin Wood deck, though I own a photographic Marseilles deck. I own the Brian Froud Faerie Oracle, but haven't pulled it out in ages. The Robin Wood deck reliably gives me thoughtful information.

A friend introduced me to a stone-casting method that I now have the nagging desire to develop, but it's going to take a while to collect the stones I want for it. (One thing I really like about that is that she casts it on a cloth that has the wheel of the year on it, which means you get some sense of calendar time attached to things, which is rather nice.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 01, 2007, 08:35:55 pm »

I've been doing divination most of my life and am usually very accurate when I do a reading for someone else. So what is your fave and why?

Same here about the oija board.  gives me the shudders.

It is funny, every other divination method I try turns out fairly successful, but since I've used a pendulum the longest I'm more comfortable with it.  .....That is, until I learned to use my finger like I use a pendulum and now no longer rely on props much at all. 
My children say 'the finger knows all' ROTFL and they're usually right.  I get a particular movement out of my right forefinger if my answer is a yes and nothing if it is a no.  Whenever I check with a pendulum or other divination method, it is usually right.

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 01, 2007, 10:13:15 pm »

So what is your fave and why?

I use cowrie shells. I enjoy trying to figure out what the patterns mean.
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 01, 2007, 11:19:03 pm »

I love tarot which is my first and only divinatory tool (unless you count brief encounters with Sight), because I love the art on the cards and the little rituals I do before reading them.  We have an interesting relationship Smiley   I am going to expand with Runes and Bowl scrying soon.

--edited for clarity--

*Síocháin*
Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 02, 2007, 03:39:45 am »

I'm currently learning the tarot - although I've gone with the Ananda Tarot, so the symbology is a little different to your average Rider-Waite deck. I seem to be doing okay so far, though I do find it difficult to be objective when the readings are too close to home. I plan to use an idea I picked up somewhere and do readings on 'current events' in the media, and try to predict the outcomes - it may be a better way of improving my skills! Plus, there's only so many readings I can do for myself...

I'm also using an animal oracle, called the 'power animal oracle cards' by Steven D. Farmer. I've found these quite useful as well, although less for predicting, and more for getting views on how I should act or things I should address.  Again, I'm still learning to work with these but like the tarot, I'm enjoying them so far!

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 09:30:17 am

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 02, 2007, 11:10:52 am »

Same here about the oija board.  gives me the shudders.

It is funny, every other divination method I try turns out fairly successful, but since I've used a pendulum the longest I'm more comfortable with it.  .....That is, until I learned to use my finger like I use a pendulum and now no longer rely on props much at all. 
My children say 'the finger knows all' ROTFL and they're usually right.  I get a particular movement out of my right forefinger if my answer is a yes and nothing if it is a no.  Whenever I check with a pendulum or other divination method, it is usually right.

I like that. I don't have to use the props either all the time. a lot of times I just do a cold read on someone, not even looking at their palm, just looking at their aura. I have a friend who uses a blank deck of index cards, not sure how he gets meanings from them but he does. Almost anything can become a tool or a way of seeing meanings, like the clouds, a handful of sand, wherever your spirit leads when you do a divination

healing, light and peace
White Raven
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: November 02, 2007, 04:33:27 pm »

I like that. I don't have to use the props either all the time. a lot of times I just do a cold read on someone, not even looking at their palm, just looking at their aura. I have a friend who uses a blank deck of index cards, not sure how he gets meanings from them but he does. Almost anything can become a tool or a way of seeing meanings, like the clouds, a handful of sand, wherever your spirit leads when you do a divination

I've divined in spaghetti.

involuntarily.

it's amazing what our minds can do with random patterns.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 02, 2007, 06:43:10 pm »

Smiley So what is your fave and why?

I've tried Tarot but even though I'm visual, I didn't make a lot of headway.
I have lovely quartz runes that I seemed content to sit and work with some.
But a fave would have to be my Witches Stones which I use in combination with sight, to see the answers and meanings in the cast. I tend to get spontaneous images about the now (real time and space) and future events or happenings. So I don't sit with my stones as much as I should.

Perhaps it is time to add study and working more with them, for this new year.
I do like my tools, I should... take them out more often. Re-charge them and work with them more.
True tools can be a crutch if you let them but can also pack a punch in workings.
Some of my large raw quartz *2 handed size, dug out of my gardens* are for storing energy for need, not only do I find them useful, I tend to use these more often than any of my other tools.

Energy Follows Attention
SapphireMoon
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 10, 2007, 07:59:51 pm

Religion: Dianic Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 03, 2007, 09:44:30 am »

I'm also using an animal oracle, called the 'power animal oracle cards' by Steven D. Farmer. I've found these quite useful as well, although less for predicting, and more for getting views on how I should act or things I should address.  Again, I'm still learning to work with these but like the tarot, I'm enjoying them so far!

MM,
I use these cards too. It is great for giving guidance for me. I do readings for others also along with a shamanic journey to "see" more & talk more with the animals. I also use the Goddess Taro deck.

SapphireMoon
Lilith
Last Login:November 04, 2007, 06:26:05 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 03, 2007, 01:47:45 pm »

I've been reading tarot cards even before i'd ever heard of the words Wiccan or Pagan. And it seemed to come second nature to me. I was really good at it and often had friend who would come to me and my cards for advice.

I've tried a pendulm before to and it does seem to have some effect.
sacredherbals
Apprentice
Last Login:January 04, 2008, 01:09:04 pm

Religion: Wiccan witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 07, 2007, 01:04:05 pm »

I dont do much divination, but when I do I usually like to use smoke scrying. Its very peaceful to me and it just works for me. Theres something mysterious about looking at the smoke rising to me. I've tried tarot cards but never really liked them much.  Grin

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 07, 2007, 06:53:12 pm »

Hmm... it sort of depends. Different questions need different things, I think.

For creative work (stories mostly), I like to use tarot because it's very visual (duh) and I can see the story process within the cards (I have a Lord of the Rings deck which is quite appropriate for my writing work).

For more straightforward displays of what energies are present or what exactly is going on, I will use runes, though more and more often I'm turning to the ogam, as it seems to be working very well for me, though they have a slightly different "feel" than runes.

For guidance and uncovering "hidden things," I'm going to say ogam, which I've been learning and practicing for a couple of months now. They just give great guidance, and generally are very clear in what they have to say. More and more, like I said, I've been turning to them when I want to ask a question, and I've gotten a lot of help from it.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 07, 2007, 07:38:56 pm »

My favorite are my Runes. I get good insight from both the Runes and the Tarot but the Runes give more in the way of actual useful advice, while the Tarot just tells what's going on and why. Both have their place, but for most things, I use the Runes.

Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 08, 2007, 10:42:52 pm »

But doesn't that imply that you already knew the answer (consciously or not)? Or is whatever it was that was moving the pendulum is now moving your finger and you have absolutely no control over it?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:45:29 pm by Mithril » Logged

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)