The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 30, 2020, 08:05:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2020, 08:05:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding Time for Religion?  (Read 7336 times)
Gwen
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 12, 2007, 08:41:52 am
United States United States

Religion: eclectic Pagan with Dianic Wiccan tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 05, 2007, 08:47:53 am »

Spirit always has time for all time is Now, so stay in spirit and you will find tiome for what you want to do.

This is really beautiful, and is going in my Green Book (BoS-cum-spiritual-journal).

I've gotten into the routines of praying for a minute or two when I get up and before I go to sleep, as well as taking a moment to say a silent grace whenever I eat or drink anything that isn't water (and sometimes that too).  It's taken me a year of self-badgering to make those little things routine, but I'm really grateful that I have.

Actually my morning/evening prayers are two-part: the flexible part that's in my words, and a short reading from a prayer book.  This year it's been the wonderful compilation Earth Prayers.  During the semester I try to read a few pages of some Pagan-related book as my post-class, pre-homework break.

"Love, and do what you will" -St. Augustine

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

southerngoddes
Journeyman
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 09:08:41 am
Argentina Argentina

Religion: none

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 05, 2007, 10:14:51 am »

This is really beautiful, and is going in my Green Book (BoS-cum-spiritual-journal).

I've gotten into the routines of praying for a minute or two when I get up and before I go to sleep, as well as taking a moment to say a silent grace whenever I eat or drink anything that isn't water (and sometimes that too).  It's taken me a year of self-badgering to make those little things routine, but I'm really grateful that I have.

Actually my morning/evening prayers are two-part: the flexible part that's in my words, and a short reading from a prayer book.  This year it's been the wonderful compilation Earth Prayers.  During the semester I try to read a few pages of some Pagan-related book as my post-class, pre-homework break.

I work several hours per week, I don't have children but I have to manage a home, take care of a husband, family, pets, friends and many hours of driving to get work. But i don't demand myself to have a religious routine.I think I try to do something from time to time, every time I feel I should, I always get the moment for that.

I think the only thing I fallow its the phases of the moon, if I can, for example  every Friday,( which I consider the day of the Goddess, Venus,)I like to have a cleansing, and take a  saltwater bath. I think it's a good way to keep balance.
sacredherbals
Apprentice
Last Login:January 04, 2008, 01:09:04 pm

Religion: Wiccan witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 05, 2007, 12:57:07 pm »

I dont have alot of time either. I started to do little meditations and such while I was taking a bath after work! That way I'm killing two birds with one stone. Besides that, the bath is very relaxing so it helps me to reach a meditative state. Other than that I just make time for it. I guess it needs to be somewhat of a priority in your life. Maybe you dont have time everyday like most of us. But you set aside a little time for it whenever you can!  Grin

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 05, 2007, 07:12:03 pm »

(They're mostly not religiously explicit - but I'm fond of digitalblasphemy.com, which has some stunning nature and planetary computer designed images that make me think.)

I've been collecting the images from his free gallery for probably close to eight years now.  One of these days, when I have the money available, I'll get a subscription.

If you like spacescapes I've found some great ones over at deviantART Spacescapes.  In fact, there's a number of great images just in the scenes main folder.

Other than that, in reference to the OP, I'd just have to say make small steps.  A good friend of mine is fond of reminding me that journeys begin with a single step (I tend to want Boots of Leaping and Bounding...).  Also, recognize and celebrate your successes.  Light a candle for a few minutes each morning and have breakfast with deity.  Spend five minutes in the car before heading into work to ground and center yourself.  The little things will add up and make the difference you're looking for.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Libris
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 26, 2011, 08:21:17 pm

Religion: ADF Style Druidry/Kitchen Witchery

Flowing Like Water

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 06, 2007, 09:22:44 am »

It seems no matter what stage of life your at, there are always more pressing things than religious practice.  When I was in college, I had tests to worry about, now that I'm a stay at home mom, I have a one year old and a house to take care of.  So it isn't easy to find time, but there are definitely ways to make time.  As others have said, if it's important to you- you'll make time for it.

Cooking and taking care of hearth and home is an important part of my practice.  So when I do 'mundane' things like cleaning out the fire place, crocheting or sewing, washing the floors or making dinner, I meditate on my relationship to Brigid, her relationship to hearth and home and what my work means to both.  When my daughter takes a nap, I read, work on things for the ADF dedicant program or wander pagan message boards.  In the evenings, when she's going to sleep, my husband and I read aloud- often from mythology and history books.  Finding time to meditate has always been the hardest thing for me, I'm really not very good at sitting down.  Honestly, I'm such a multitasker it's very hard for me to concentrate on just one thing.  The only way I've ever been able to meditate is to set aside a bit of time during the day, each day at a specific time.  I like to meditate to music, it helps focus my mind and keep it from wandering over my to-do list.

Libris

"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." ~Theodore Rubin

ADF Dedicant Journal
Browse My Library
JuicyCrone
Last Login:November 12, 2007, 04:28:22 pm

Religion: wiccan/pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 06, 2007, 10:28:35 am »

It seems no matter what stage of life your at, there are always more pressing things than religious practice. 

How very true. I always thought that once I retired, I'd have all the time in the world to pursue my practice. The conflict is I'm trying to start a small farm, and run a house and husband which consumes most of my time. Like you, I do incorporate bits and pieces throughout my day, which is easy because I'm out in the green world all day, tending my gardens, and animals. I don't have horses, but I like the idea here that caring for them could be part of a mediatative practice. Other ideas I thought were great; using daily events, like a bath or cooking, or sitting in your car for ritual. I also found the quote about Spirit always being there quite inspiring and comforting. Perhaps the best idea overall is to relax and not criticize yourself.

I haven't done any kind of "formal practice" in over 10 years. First it was kids and marriage, a demanding job and wicked commute that got in the way. Now I'm retired and it's the same story! Lately though I long to return to a deeper connection. Part of the problem with getting there, is I'm no longer sure what I believe, if I'm Wiccan anymore. I confess to feeling self critical about myself, but now feel the tide turning. I've started taking those baby steps, which include joining this forum.

I do a quick mantra in the morning; the Gayatri, which involves not just words, but taking the sun's rays into your heart, and then radiating that energy back out into the world. It takes but a second, but I feel it deeply. I'd like to find something for the evening moon that moves me as much. Like others here, I find moments in my daily routine that are opportunities to connect with the divine, be it ever so humble. Stirring a bit pot of soup clockwise, and envisioning health and well being to all who partake of this blessed meal. Be well!

Libris
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 26, 2011, 08:21:17 pm

Religion: ADF Style Druidry/Kitchen Witchery

Flowing Like Water

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: November 06, 2007, 12:34:46 pm »

I haven't done any kind of "formal practice" in over 10 years. First it was kids and marriage, a demanding job and wicked commute that got in the way. Now I'm retired and it's the same story! Lately though I long to return to a deeper connection. Part of the problem with getting there, is I'm no longer sure what I believe, if I'm Wiccan anymore. I confess to feeling self critical about myself, but now feel the tide turning. I've started taking those baby steps, which include joining this forum.

It's funny, I find it easier to do ritual on set days (like Samhain) than incorporate religion into my daily life.  That was one of the hardest things for me; extending religion from those special times to permeate the rest of my life.  I recently passed through a period of being very self critical and doubting, so I can relate.   I'm starting a mini-farm too, so I can relate to you there as well.  It's so much work, but so very worth it.   

And I so agree, it would be very neat to have a horse!  That would be a good opportunity to meditate on horse related deities, like Epona. 

Libris- who if is ever blessed with pony will name him/her Fatty Lumpkin Cheesy

Libris

"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." ~Theodore Rubin

ADF Dedicant Journal
Browse My Library
Magpie
Apprentice
Last Login:January 30, 2011, 03:50:05 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox

Gravatar

Dice and Diamonds

Blog entries (0)

the_magpie

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 09, 2007, 07:20:16 pm »

But, how did you as a young (or even later in life) find time in your hectic life to truly figure out your religion, to read and to actually do things such as your first casting?

I'm 19, and I know where you're coming from about being busy. I'm coming up to finals in university, work is starting to pile up, papers are looming and so forth. When I first began practicing, I was a junior in high-school in all Honors and advanced classes. I didn't start with drastic practices - I did a lot of what was described to me as 'moving meditations'. I would walk home from school, all the while focusing on my actions and being mindful of myself and the world around me. I would schedule formal rituals into my life only occasionally, taking the view that the Divine, Whoever it was, would understand that I only had so much time as a busy student.

I agree with what Libris said about meditating on domestic activity - sometimes the easiest way to find the Divine is in the Mundane. I had one of my most profound religious experiences just walking home from school, and another sweeping my dorm room. I don't think the issue is so much finding time for religion as it is finding religion in that which takes up our time - if that makes sense.

More than once I've done no more than open a bottle of water and pour out a few drops for my ancestors onto the ground outside. It takes not even a few seconds to pour the water, and a brief moment to pause and reflect on my ancestors and quietly announce the offering. It is one of the most profound things I do, and it takes the least amount of time. I also keep a small stone bowl on my desk at school with a bottle of water next to it for similar offerings on days when I don't have as much time to venture outside.

Of course, these are just my experiences. I hope they helped. Your mileage may, as always, vary. Smiley

"The gods care not if you rage and thrash your breast. They hear not words but thoughts. They speak not to ears. Be silent then and let them speak to the god within. Be quieter still and let the will speak through you."
Awakening Osiris - Normandi Ellis
Armagh444
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2010, 07:16:15 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: November 11, 2007, 03:11:02 am »

So, here I am in front of the computer. I'm nearly 20, wanting to venture into my religion more and more each day but not having the time to do so. I should, but I don't.

Why? I work like the rest of the (American) world, 45 hours a week. On top of that, I watch my close friends daughter quiet often as we live together. If I do have any time, my body is often going "DO NOTHING! REST!" at me, which I have to comply (Cheesy).

But, how did you as a young (or even later in life) find time in your hectic life to truly figure out your religion, to read and to actually do things such as your first casting?

I think one of the problems we have in this society is that we have drawn a hard line between the spiritual and the secular.

No, I am not advocating the dismantling of the Wall of Separation between Church and State.  I am far too deep a respecter of the Bill of Rights and of the Founders to suggest something that silly.  What I am suggesting, however, is that those of use who are religious don't need to separate our religious life from the rest of our lives.

Perhaps I should reference my own way of dealing with this to clarify things a bit.  For me, there is little separation between sacred and not.  Yes, there is a time for ritual, but religious practice does not require constant resort to explicitly religious ceremonies.  For me, every act is a part of my faith.  When I wake in the morning, it is a religious act, because how I greet the day is informed by my religion.  When I go to work, it is a religious act, because how I perform in my profession is informed by my religion.  And the list goes on as I move through my day.

Admittedly, I would enjoy having more time for ritual, and I wouldn't mind finally getting around to starting to work on spellcraft, but the fact that the time is lacking doesn't trouble me much as I know that my faith is always with me, and that every act is a gift to the High Ones, the Ancestors, and the Land Spirits, because nothing I do is without being mindful of all or at least one of them.

Three things from which never to be moved: one's Oaths, one's Gods, and the Truth. The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty. Three candles that illuminate every darkness: Truth, Nature, and Knowledge.
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: November 11, 2007, 10:48:25 am »

I think one of the problems we have in this society is that we have drawn a hard line between the spiritual and the secular.

That's exactly what I think. When I pause outside and marvel at the trees, that's a five second religious ceremony. Religion is a way of life, so every second lived is a religious act.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Ravendas
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 01, 2008, 09:22:19 am

Religion: Pantheistic Agnostic w/ Pagan Leanings

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: November 12, 2007, 04:07:47 pm »

Your life sounds alot like mine! And I struggled with it as well until I've recently come to the realization that examining and practicing your beliefs really don't take any time outside your schedule...it's jsut a matter of shifting your perspective.

After all, religion is more than just reading a book, or casting a circle, or any number of activities...it's a way of life, a thought process. Sometimes it's no more difficult than walking outside for a moment to breathe the fresh air and experience the beauty of nature....or mentally working out an aspect of your beliefs while you're in the shower...or meditating while you're on the bus (or other transportation...just not too deeply if you're driving!).

I'm slowly coming around to appreciating all of this myself...so I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

Whether we name divine presence synchronicity, serendipity, or graced moment matters little. What matters is the reality that our hearts have been understood. Nothing is as real as a healthy dose of magic which restores our spirits.
Nancy Long
Neriandal Freit
Master Member
Last Login:May 22, 2011, 10:34:22 am

Religion: Pagan

Dancing under the moonlit stars

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: November 12, 2007, 07:25:04 pm »

Your life sounds alot like mine! And I struggled with it as well until I've recently come to the realization that examining and practicing your beliefs really don't take any time outside your schedule...it's jsut a matter of shifting your perspective.

After all, religion is more than just reading a book, or casting a circle, or any number of activities...it's a way of life, a thought process. Sometimes it's no more difficult than walking outside for a moment to breathe the fresh air and experience the beauty of nature....or mentally working out an aspect of your beliefs while you're in the shower...or meditating while you're on the bus (or other transportation...just not too deeply if you're driving!).

I'm slowly coming around to appreciating all of this myself...so I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

I'm actually finding my self more and more to the understanding many of you have posted, although admittedly it'd be nice to do more a bit often.

After reading Earth Power by Cunningham, and having this topic going for everyone, it's really help set me into the "It doesn't have to be big, it can be small and every second and it's ok." mind set.

It's awesome Cheesy
TheAmityvilleGhost
Last Login:November 28, 2007, 01:57:42 pm

Religion: Yezidic polymonohenopantheist, worshiper of Melek Ta'us

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: November 17, 2007, 03:38:50 pm »

When I was living in the city and going to university, I literally had no time for rituals or anything.  So, I started praying under my breath on the way to school and work every day.  I would take five or ten minutes for prayer during my lunch breaks.  And somehow, I always found time to pray real quick while the teachers were handing out the tests!

When one is truly involved in one's spiritual life, one will always find time for it, no matter how busy one might become.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."  - Gandhi

The Peacock's Nest
http://www.geocities.com/amityvilleghost

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)