The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 10:31:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 10:31:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Post Your Spring Training/Fitness Goal Here!  (Read 15229 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 20, 2007, 01:07:05 pm »

Always wanted to lose some weight? Longing to look a bit more like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie?

It’s the spring equinox, so what better time for a new beginning in fitness training and for a better balance between our spiritual and physical selves? So here's a call for all those who want to set a fitness/training goal, so that we can lend each other support, advice, and accountability. We could make the summer solstice (June 21) our target date for achieving the goal—that’s 3 months away (and just in time for swimsuit season here in the Northern Hemisphere)—and we can check in periodically, like the beginning of each month.

The key is to set something achievable. So here’s mine: I want my 30-inch waist back that I had in high school (a loooooong time ago). I’m at 34 inches now, so it’s not utterly outlandish, but considering I’m somewhere between a mesomorph and an endomorph—my body loves to pack on muscle but hates to strip off fat—it could be tough.

O.K., who else is in?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: March 20, 2007, 01:13:59 pm »

O.K., who else is in?

I'm not in for weight loss (not while I'm preggers--quite the opposite in fact!), but I'm in for the general idea of keeping fit.

My goals are fairly simple and come in two parts.  One, I want to keep walking 30 minutes three days a week, and do some prenatal yoga one day a week.  (Not more specific there because how much is going to change as I move through different sections of the DVD I have.)  Two, I want to eat healthier.  I already do eat a lot of healthy food, but I've also been eating a lot of candy and deep fried food, which makes me feel good in the short term but guilty in the long term.

Overall, my goal is to be a healthy mommy and gain weight at a healthy rate over the course of my pregnancy, then lose it after Baby is born.  Mostly what I need to work on here is the diet; the exercise plan is more or less what I'm already doing, so I just need to maintain that.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 20, 2007, 01:19:21 pm »

O.K., who else is in?

*grumbles*

*sighs*

OK.  Fine.

My daughter and I just started an eat-healthy campaign, and I could use the extra support.  I guess I'll try to add some exercise into that.  Maybe walking every day when the headaches aren't trying to kill me...

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 20, 2007, 01:24:41 pm »

O.K., who else is in?

Okay, I'm game. Wink

I'm working on lifestyle changes, and developing a regular workout schedule is part of that.  It's been difficult for me since I turned 25, feeling my metabolism slow down, not being able to get away with crap I used to do.  It's inevitable, I know it, but . . . I am turning into my mother.   Shocked

Which, quite honestly, if I have to grow up to look like anybody, I'm glad it's going to be my mother.  She's a very beautiful woman!  My mom's cool people.  But she is apple shaped, and my pants are fitting a little tighter around the waist than they used to.

Eating healthier - check.  Drinking water - check.  Skin and hair beauty regime - check.  Lose the stress and drama - check.  Regular fitness routine - not so much.  I get going good, then something happens and I stumble: I catch a cold, I pull a ligament in my knee (stupid, stupid, stupid!), I make commitments to friends and family and have to put off going to the gym in lieu of taking care of other life things.

June 9th is my boyfriend's brother's wedding.  So my spring fitness goal is to get back to work flattening my poochy belly so I don't have to go out and buy a new dress for the late spring wedding.  I have this adorable little vertical-striped jumper dress that looks positively cute on me.

I haven't gone up a size in 15 years.  I know, getting older, it's inevitable.  But I intend to fight this tooth and nail. 

Here's to not having to go dress shopping!!

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 20, 2007, 01:59:15 pm »

O.K., who else is in?

I'm in.  And, being me, I'll publically post the following info.

5'6.5" tall
145lbs
30" waist
38" hip
39" bust
33" under bust
large bone structure (2.75" at the elbow)
22.7 BMI
approx lean body mass is 112lbs

My weight is actually spot on for my goals.  Now I'm only working out to get the muscles fit and to shape the body.  My goal is to whittle the waist down to 28", flatten out the abs some, strengthen my back and core, and give myself a bit of a butt lift naturally.   Wink

To give the background, on April 2nd of last year I weighed in at 207lbs.  My waist was at 35" and everything else was also proportionately larger.  I have shed all that weight simply by removing all junk food from my diet, cutting out 90% of the soda and light workouts.  Now that I'm at my goal weight, I'm working on building the muscles.  Because of the way my own body works, I had to shed the fat first or I would've ended up turning into SheHulk, which isn't my goal at all. 

My workout is 15 minutes on the bike at cardio heart rate, then 10 reps on each of the resistance machines at the weight where I can feel the burn mildly in the targeted muscles, followed by two full laps of the pool (which is Olympic length, just not depth).  I try to get in three times a week minimum, though if I'm going to be doing certain physical work, such as the heavy spring cleanup we're working at the cabin right now, I will skip on those days because I'm going to get enough of a workout doing those tasks.

I also make sure to stay properly hydrated with 8-8oz glasses of water daily in addition to my coffee, tea, etc.  I do NOT eat fast food at all, avoid fried, greasy foods, minimal red meat, a serving of yogurt daily, which helps my body to cope with certain issues.  On off days, I try to be sure to get in at least 20 minutes of moderate activity in the form of dance.  I'm also going to be taking yoga at least once a week, if not twice, to help maintain my flexibility.

So, that's my goals and current status.

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 20, 2007, 03:00:03 pm »

O.K., who else is in?

*groan* I'm in. I don't want to be, but...if I don't start making being healthy a habit now, I'm going to have problems down the road. So:

1) I want to get my ass to the gym (as soon as this bronchitis goes away...). My best friend wants to get back too, so we're planning to do every Sunday. I want to add at least one more, if not two more, days to that.

2) Drink more water! I drink way too much Sprite.

3) Eat better. This means learning to cook, probably, so I'll have to pick up a Cooking for Morons cookbook. I'll do something manageable, like cooking dinner for me & the parents once a week. Like Saturdays, where Mom's around in case I screw up. Smiley

4) Remember to take my multivitamin every day. I never remember it.

I think that's good enough for now...

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 20, 2007, 03:44:45 pm »

Im in

and being the obsesive I am my goal schedual

End march - able to do standard class warmup and still move
End April - back in class twice a week
End May - Actually working out as well as classes

(class being budjikan tiajutsu and actually working out being endless reps of pressup situp squart and strech)

Edit to add - Im actually slightly ahead of schedual atm, but not quite back to class

Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 20, 2007, 09:21:36 pm »

O.K., who else is in?

This is slightly a longer term goal, but I'd like to weigh 60kg when I go back to America in August.  I'm using it as an excuse to throw away all my clothes and buy a nice wardrobe, so I'm trying to have a nice body to match.  I have to lose 6-7kg, but I think it's doable.

Last week I started a calorie diary, not really restricting, but just to keep me from eating 18 chocolate chip cookies in a row, which is the sort of thing I tend to do in front of the TV when I'm not paying attention.  Roll Eyes

Exercise I need to work on.  I used to belong to the gym here, and I did go every day ... but only to the attached sauna and hot tubs.  Cheesy  I'm testing this thing called Podfitness where you download an audio workout and iTunes mixes it with your own music, it's interesting so far (but a little expensive -- maybe will be a motivator as well!).

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 01, 2007, 07:49:33 am »

So here's a call for all those who want to set a fitness/training goal, so that we can lend each other support, advice, and accountability....and we can check in periodically, like the beginning of each month.

It's April 1: Check-in time!

So, how's everybody doing with their goals? It hasn't been that long--slightly more than a week since we laid out our training/fitness goals--so nobody should expect any major transformations. But it's a good time for us to help each other stay (or get back on) track.

I'm pleased so far. I'm on the verge of dropping a belt notch (my goal: to drop from a 34-in. waist to 30), and it hasn't been too painful.

But I know the initial loss is the easy part; I expect it will get progressively harder to get cut. Plus I'm worried I might lose muscle mass if I do this too quickly; yesterday was my arm training day at the gym, and doing triceps I felt like I should have been able to handle more weight. And I kept thinking my arms look small. (I'm sure this is psychological; mild case of "bigorexia," methinks.)

Anyway, I'm glad we're doing this. A couple of times when sweets have tempted me, I reminded myself of our June 21 target date and kept walking.

[modified to cut down quote and shift the boldfacing]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 07:51:41 am by Altair » Logged

Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: April 01, 2007, 07:56:23 am »

.and we can check in periodically, like the beginning of each month.

Im On target - and slightly ahead. I can do the warm up excersises for my old dojo. They wont let me back in due to the whole you aint a student anymore, but ive found another dojo and will be starting there next week

Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 01, 2007, 10:32:23 am »

I'm doing pretty well over here.  I actually broke down and bought a scale, and it turned out I wasn't quite as heavy as I thought, which is encouraging.  I didn't realize it, but apparently just having to stand up for a few hours a day makes a huge difference.  So going back to school after two months of vacation must have helped.  Also, shockingly enough, the school lunch is pretty healthy here, certainly more than the junk I was eating at home.

I'm still keeping the food diary, and it has the added benefit of helping my Korean, since I have to look up that food on a Korean site.  (The site itself is frighteningly named 47kg.co.kr!  Shocked)

Exercise is going along as well.  The first few days I was unbelievably sore, but I kept telling myself it was ridiculous for a person my age to get that sore from a little workout, and after a few days I did feel better.  Smiley

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 01, 2007, 06:30:19 pm »

O.K., who else is in?

I'm in, though my goal isn't really weight-loss.

I'm gardening professionally again, so even if I do nothing but bike into work and work (squatting, standing, leaning, bending, digging, shovelling, lifting, raking... you get the picture) five days a week I'll be in pretty good shape.

What I really want to do is build my abs and other muscles that support my lower back.  I've had periodic lower back pain ever since I fell down the basement stairs at my parents' three years ago, and I'd really like to give my spine better support, especially since I'm going to be doing fairly heavy work, and I'm relatively small. (5'4", 115 to 120 lbs).  I tend to build muscle from my extremities inwards, for some reason. I have super-strong hands, strong calves and forearms even with minimal activity, strong thighs, glutes and upper arms with lots of excercise and weight-bearing activity, and wimpy flabby abs.  That's got to change, because a constant sore back is going to make it impossible for me to do my job.

I also tend to develop B-vitamin deficiencies if I'm working my body really hard, so I'm going to make sure I take my supplements religiously this year.  I bought adult chewable ones because I'm more likely to remember to take them if I associate the taste with the end of a meal.

So my goal is a stronger back, and no malnutrition.

Betty  Smiley
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 01, 2007, 07:09:24 pm »

Welp, I'm down 7 pounds, already, but it's not a good thing.  I came down with a super severe cold slash flu thing, which knocked me down and out for one full week.  It's been nearly two weeks and I'm still recovering.

But!  I'm staying positive with this, despite the still-coughing and still-weakness.  My appetite is slowly coming back, so I'm being careful to fill my sensitive belly with healthy, fresh foods instead of junk.  I know when my appetite comes back, I'll be hungry enough to quickly gain back what I lost.  So if I eat healthy calories with good vitamins and minerals, I should be able to put those pounds back where I'd rather they be, plus fortify myself against coming down with something else.

In the meantime, my boyfriend bought himself a Creative Zen Vision M (MP3 player).  I brought up the topic of joining the local YMCA to utilize the gym features so I can get a more full-body workout, and he seemed excited about the idea.  His school has a gym, but he's too self-conscious to work out there because he doesn't want to run into any of his students - which would be inevitable.  So joining the YMCA down the street would be a great benefit for the both of us.  I get a workout buddy, and he gets to use his Creative Zen Vision M! Smiley

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 01, 2007, 07:54:27 pm »

No real set goal, other than just losing a little weight, keeping myself flexible, and working on improving my endurance and speed for my next 5K. On the advice of a friend, I set up a two-pronged approach: speedwork and endurance training. Two days of each, alternating.

Lately I've been lagging behind on the speedwork. Used to be my top speed would hit around or slightly above 8 km/h (so close to 5 mph - not very fast, but then I'm no sprinter).  At most now, though, I can hit around 3.1 km/h.  Not sure what's going on, as my endurance training suffered a slump when snow fell and it was too dangerous to run, but i've been getting better.  So rather than give up running altogether for a while, as that would be easier said than done, I'm going to try adding fartlek to the mix and see what happens.  It might also be time to see how I do with running for 30 minutes straight, as working up to that was how I trained for my first 5K.

It's amazing what a few simple exercises minus any complicated gym equipment can do for your abs.  I've lost quite a bit of the extra tummy i had, not to mention my waistline has shrunk a bit.  I'm not aiming for rock hard abs, but would like them flatter and more toned.  I don't care about putting on lots of muscle anywhere anyway.

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: April 01, 2007, 08:06:20 pm »

mrrrr.  maybe if I post this I'll be more accountable.

Due to a number of life stresses and getting sick, I got REALLY bad about exercising.  and boy oh boy do I need that muscle tone!

So I'm going to try, regardless of how much swuggy runs me around, to do my pilates three times a week.  cardio I'm good on .. chase the baby. Cheesy  but I need muscle tone.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)