The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 11:37:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 11:37:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Post Your Spring Training/Fitness Goal Here!  (Read 15230 times)
hassMysteria
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2007, 05:59:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: Solitary Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: June 01, 2007, 04:05:14 pm »

O.K., who else is in?

I'm in! I've been back in on the health game for about a year now and have lost a total of 30 pounds....still need to lose more to get to my goal. All I really have been doing is cutting out the junk (not been to good about that lately...grrrr...twizzlers are evvvvil!!!!) and cutting out oils and butter, stufr like that, and limiting soda intake Tongue

I am also quitting smoking, but am not worried that I'll gain weight from that b/c I've been informed by a doctor that if I continue to workoutout and not eat more and just monitor my calorie intake a little bit to keep sure I'm not eating more than I was before I quit, then I'll be fine b/c she says weight gain from quitting smoking is due to wanting to eat more and feeling more hungry.....so I'll have to watch that

any others quitting smoking?

My goals to reach by June 21st would be to lose the next 6-8 pounds or so...2 lbs a week has been my normal mini-goal....so hopefully this post will help me mentally keep on track a bit better than I have been as of late  Cheesy

"envy is ignorance; imitation is suicide"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: June 01, 2007, 05:48:09 pm »

O.K., who else is in?

I appear to have GAINED 15 pounds.  *grumble*

I don't want to go crazy losing it, but I think it is a sign I need to re-examine my food choices and see if I can drop down a bit again.  My pants are starting to get tight, and I don't wanna buy new bigger ones again!

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #32: June 01, 2007, 05:56:45 pm »

*groan* I'm in. I don't want to be, but...if I don't start making being healthy a habit now, I'm going to have problems down the road. So:

1) I want to get my ass to the gym (as soon as this bronchitis goes away...). My best friend wants to get back too, so we're planning to do every Sunday. I want to add at least one more, if not two more, days to that.

2) Drink more water! I drink way too much Sprite.

3) Eat better. This means learning to cook, probably, so I'll have to pick up a Cooking for Morons cookbook. I'll do something manageable, like cooking dinner for me & the parents once a week. Like Saturdays, where Mom's around in case I screw up. Smiley

4) Remember to take my multivitamin every day. I never remember it.

I think that's good enough for now...

Well, I still haven't remembered my multivitamin, and I've been too busy with school & now work to get to the gym (besides the fact that I'm really lazy), but I've cut soda almost completely from my diet, and I've been eating a lot healthier (though I haven't been cooking). I haven't had fast food since the post I'm quoting (yay!)

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: June 01, 2007, 06:38:26 pm »

We could make the summer solstice (June 21) our target date for achieving the goal...and we can check in periodically, like the beginning of each month.

T-minus 3 weeks to the solstice!

So here's the call for first-of-the-month check-ins. I have to say, from reading all the posts, that folks are really making the effort, which I think is magnificent! Even those who have been held back by the Random Developments of Life, there's still time for us to refocus our mental energy and make some inroads.

My status: About the same as May 1. I haven't gained any more waistline, nor lost. After withdrawing from the normal human world to immerse myself in the spring songbird migration, I'm back at the gym, so for the next 20 days I'm trying to sprint to the goal (30-inch waist; I'm about a 32 now, but I was 34 when all this started, so hey, I can't complain) while simultaneously packing some of the muscle back on that I shed during my month away from the gym. That's tough to pull off simultaneously, but I'm willing to give it my best.

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: June 01, 2007, 07:17:40 pm »

Always wanted to lose some weight? Longing to look a bit more like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie?

Neither.  I just want to be a little more cardio-healthy.  It's hard for me because I have exercise-induced asthma and a monster case of rosacea.  I'm doing my best to counter these (fan and inhaler at the ready), while doing 45 minutes a day at least 5 days a week on my stationary recumbent cycle...upon which I can knit and sweat whilst watching Buffy reruns.  Wink

Brina
hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: June 01, 2007, 10:42:53 pm »

Neither.  I just want to be a little more cardio-healthy.  It's hard for me because I have exercise-induced asthma and a monster case of rosacea.  I'm doing my best to counter these (fan and inhaler at the ready), while doing 45 minutes a day at least 5 days a week on my stationary recumbent cycle...upon which I can knit and sweat whilst watching Buffy reruns.  Wink

Brina

a stationary recumbent bike sounds like a good idea *ponders*

Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #36: June 01, 2007, 11:27:56 pm »

So here's the call for first-of-the-month check-ins. I have to say, from reading all the posts, that folks are really making the effort, which I think is magnificent! Even those who have been held back by the Random Developments of Life, there's still time for us to refocus our mental energy and make some inroads.

Still keeping up over here, though the weight loss had kind of stalled.  That's a bit discouraging, but on the other hand, I can now do about 1100 jump ropes in 15 minutes, almost have my heels on the floor in downward-facing dog, and will need to buy some heavier dumbbells soon.  And a few people who didn't know I was doing this have told me they see a difference.  So I'm putting the scale out of my mind and saying I've made good progress.

Sadly, life has interfered with the 100-Calorie-Brownie experiments.  But you can't have everything.  Cheesy

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #37: June 07, 2007, 03:38:08 pm »

I appear to have lost a bit more in my waist, as well as gained some muscle.  During my run yesterday, I also found that I've gotten to where I can go 2.5 or 3 minutes of jogging before doing 45 seconds of running (here  I used "jogging" to denote an easy, slow pace and "running" to mean a pace that's faster).  Huge improvement.  Unfortunately, my gym membership is up next week, so now's the time to find out how to get to the university so I can use the gym there for free.

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: June 07, 2007, 06:00:35 pm »

a stationary recumbent bike sounds like a good idea *ponders*

Love.  It.

I wish I'd gotten one years ago.  It's got magnetic resistance, so it's super quiet (means Brina can watch stupid television whilst pedaling).  It's not a high-end model, but it doesn't need to be for the hubby and I.  It's the first exercise machine comfy enough for me to use daily...and I have been!  Smiley

Brina
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: June 09, 2007, 10:09:43 am »

Still keeping up over here, though the weight loss had kind of stalled.  That's a bit discouraging, but on the other hand, I can now do about 1100 jump ropes in 15 minutes, almost have my heels on the floor in downward-facing dog, and will need to buy some heavier dumbbells soon.  And a few people who didn't know I was doing this have told me they see a difference.  So I'm putting the scale out of my mind and saying I've made good progress.

Absolutely forget the scale. Between the jump rope and dumbbells, it sounds like you're not just losing fat, but gaining muscle (which is exactly what you want to be doing)...and muscle weighs a lot more than fat. I weigh (or at least I did, before this spring challenge of ours began) 205 lbs, and at 5 ft 9 in, that made me obese according to the body mass index charts; but with a 34-in. waist, I definitely wasn't obese. Muscle throws conventional scale usage out the window.

I had a similar experience to yours last week: I had dinner with a bunch of friends I haven't seen in a few months, and one said to me, "You look good; like your features are more defined." I told her it was a by-product of having shed some fat, in my pursuit of the 30-in. waist I haven't had since senior year of high school. "Getting back the waistlines we had in high school, at our age?? Impossible!" one of them harrumphed.

We'll see about that!

Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: June 09, 2007, 10:17:24 am »

Well, I've dropped a pants size, and my arms are more toned than they have been in years. My abs are in much better shape than they were over the winter, but I'm still getting minor lower back pain if I spend any amount of time using a weed wacker or operating a riding lawnmower. It's not nearly as bad as it has been in the past, though. I'm probably always going to have some pain as a result of the old injury.

Must. Use. Pilates. Ball.

Betty  Smiley
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #41: June 09, 2007, 12:19:37 pm »

Absolutely forget the scale. Between the jump rope and dumbbells, it sounds like you're not just losing fat, but gaining muscle (which is exactly what you want to be doing)...and muscle weighs a lot more than fat.

I hope so.  Cheesy  I did weigh at 60kg the other day, so I guess the weight-loss fairy was on vacation.  I do try and keep muscle vs. fat loss in mind though; I really do need to buy new weights as the current secondhand set is very light and I hear that it's not helpful to use too light a weight, even if you do a lot.

Anyway, I'm quite happy now as I get to eat a bit more... the new challenge will be to keep up the fitness program as well as to not eat back the entire 6 kilos in American food when I get home!  Wink

I had a similar experience to yours last week: I had dinner with a bunch of friends I haven't seen in a few months, and one said to me, "You look good; like your features are more defined." I told her it was a by-product of having shed some fat, in my pursuit of the 30-in. waist I haven't had since senior year of high school. "Getting back the waistlines we had in high school, at our age?? Impossible!" one of them harrumphed.

It was really easy for me to just attribute being out of shape/heavier to getting older.  I know in my case, I just considered the slow rise from 120 to 145 pounds part of growing, until one day size ten pants were getting small and I considered why I should have grown 25 pounds heavier but only one inch taller since high school.  But I was so used to being a bit heavier every year that it hadn't even registered until then.

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #42: June 09, 2007, 12:21:58 pm »

It's April 1: Check-in time!

I've not really been posting on here...  but most days Im doing about 120 push ups and 300 sit ups.  At one point I was doing double that daily, but I took a break, and now Im planning to ease back up to that.  I'm pretty pleased with the results.  My bf noticed, and he generally notices nothing like that. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: June 09, 2007, 02:21:39 pm »

Muscle throws conventional scale usage out the window.

Which is why I don't weigh myself...ever.  I don't see the point.  It creates false goals and makes me feel worse about myself.  I measure my success in the way I feel, not what the scale reads or my pants size.

I'm doing 45 minutes of cardio on my recumbent bike six days a week, by the way.  Yea, me.  Wink

Brina
hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: June 09, 2007, 03:35:01 pm »

My goals to reach by June 21st would be to lose the next 6-8 pounds or so...2 lbs a week has been my normal mini-goal....so hopefully this post will help me mentally keep on track a bit better than I have been as of late  Cheesy

ok, so I hadn't weighed myself in awhile whenever I first posted this, but I weighed myself the other day and I had already lost 5 more pounds since the time before I weighed!! Cheesy so I'm going to try for another 3 pounds before the 21st Cheesy

**bouncy!!**

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)