The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2021, 10:45:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 10:45:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Books on ancient ritual and ceremonial magic  (Read 3533 times)
sacredherbals
Apprentice
Last Login:January 04, 2008, 01:09:04 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 05, 2007, 01:05:43 pm »

Anyone know of any good books on ancient ritual or ceremonial magic? I'm interested in the way ancient pagans conducted their rituals but I'm having a hard time finding a good book on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: November 05, 2007, 01:20:18 pm »

Anyone know of any good books on ancient ritual or ceremonial magic? I'm interested in the way ancient pagans conducted their rituals but I'm having a hard time finding a good book on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Smiley

Sacredherbals,

I've split this request out into its own thread for you.  You're more likely to get a good response that way than if it's buried in another thread.  Wink  I would suggest, also, that you might want to be more specific about what you mean by "ancient pagans"; that's a very broad field, and we'll be able to make better suggestions if you're more specific.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: November 05, 2007, 01:23:28 pm »

As far as I know, *ceremonial magic* means something fairly Judao-Christian based.  I don't think there *is* an ancient Pagan "ceremonial" magic, though various cultures may well have had magic that had a great deal of ceremony.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: November 05, 2007, 02:58:28 pm »

Well, you probably won't find a single book on the subject because each culture/religion would have approached ritual differently. And even similar actions could have dissimilar meanings.

If you can narrow down your culture, you'll have better luck, I think. There are some on Greek ritual structure and ceremony, but if you're interested in, say, the Celts, it's not going to be a bit of help.

And I guess I'm not clear what you mean by ceremonial magic. You'll find a lot of modern works on it, but like Shadow said, it's going to have distinct Judeo-Christian overtones, so if that's not what you're looking for, you might be a bit more specific in the direction you're wanting to go.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 05, 2007, 04:44:29 pm »

You might be interested in Aaron Leitch's "Secrets of the Magickal Grimoires", which is an overview and in depth discussion of Solomonic classical texts.  It provides an introduction to the relevant texts such as Solomon's Key, Agrippa's "Of Occult Philosophy", Ars Notoria, etc. etc.

http://kheph777.tripod.com/indexsecrets.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738703036/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/103-9106146-4102218

Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 05, 2007, 05:07:41 pm »

You might be interested in Aaron Leitch's "Secrets of the Magickal Grimoires",

Oh, and Manly P Hall's The Secret Teaching of All Ages and Lectures on Ancient Philosophy are each large tomes that go over a wide range of occult subjects such as mystery religions, pagan symbols, etc.  These are discussions of theory though, not practical workbooks.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: November 05, 2007, 05:21:20 pm »

Anyone know of any good books on ancient ritual or ceremonial magic?

Ceremonial magic is a fairly modern (and Western) invention -- middle ages and later. Most ancient cultures with a magical tradition had some form of ritual magic, but I'm not aware of any good "Overview of Ancient Ritual Magic" book.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
sacredherbals
Apprentice
Last Login:January 04, 2008, 01:09:04 pm

Religion: Wiccan witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 09, 2007, 02:50:30 pm »

Sacredherbals,

I've split this request out into its own thread for you.  You're more likely to get a good response that way than if it's buried in another thread.  Wink  I would suggest, also, that you might want to be more specific about what you mean by "ancient pagans"; that's a very broad field, and we'll be able to make better suggestions if you're more specific.

I actually just now noticed that you did that! Thanks. I'll try to be more specific. I guess I'm just kind of bored with all the same reading. There seems to be tons of beginner books out there on magic, witchcraft etc. But I'm having a hard time finding any advanced books. I guess what I'm looking for is something a little deeper than a beginner book. Something on ancient magic, mostly celtic. Someone said that I probably wont have any luck finding that so I'm also interested in ancient Roman and Egyptian ritual/magic. I just want to learn more about what the ancients practiced and how they performed magic/ritual. Hope thats a little better of an explanation! Thanks for the replies so far.

Rain: I will check out those books that you recommended. Thank you again!  Grin

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 09, 2007, 03:59:24 pm »

Something on ancient magic, mostly celtic. Someone said that I probably wont have any luck finding that so I'm also interested in ancient Roman and Egyptian ritual/magic. I just want to learn more about what the ancients practiced and how they performed magic/ritual. Hope thats a little better of an explanation! Thanks for the replies so far.

For ancient Egyptian ritual and magic:

The Ancient Gods Speak edited by Donald B. Redford

The Priests of Ancient Egypt by Serge Sauneron

Wine and Wine Offerings in the Religion of Ancient Egypt by Mu-Chou Poo

The House of Horus at Edfu: Ritual in an Ancient Egyptian Temple by Barbara Watterson

A Guide to Religious Ritual at Abydos by Rosalie David

The Mechanics of Ancient Egyptian Magical Practice by Robert Ritner

Magic in Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Pinch

Amulets of Ancient Egypt by Carol Andrews

Reading Egyptian Art by Richard Wilkinson

Symbol and Magic in Egyptian Art by Richard H. Wilkinson

J. D. Ray. "Ancient Egypt" in Oracles and Divination edited by Micheal Loewe and Carmen Blacker. Pages 171-190.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Armagh444
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2010, 07:16:15 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 11, 2007, 03:34:23 pm »

I actually just now noticed that you did that! Thanks. I'll try to be more specific. I guess I'm just kind of bored with all the same reading. There seems to be tons of beginner books out there on magic, witchcraft etc. But I'm having a hard time finding any advanced books. I guess what I'm looking for is something a little deeper than a beginner book. Something on ancient magic, mostly celtic. Someone said that I probably wont have any luck finding that so I'm also interested in ancient Roman and Egyptian ritual/magic. I just want to learn more about what the ancients practiced and how they performed magic/ritual. Hope thats a little better of an explanation! Thanks for the replies so far.

Rain: I will check out those books that you recommended. Thank you again!  Grin

Not so much an advanced text on magic as a precis on Celtic cosmology (something that, I think is necessary if you're planning to construct advanced rituals in a particular context) . . . Celtic Heritage by Alwyn and Brinley Rees.  It's a bit on the dry side, but well worth the effort.

Three things from which never to be moved: one's Oaths, one's Gods, and the Truth. The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty. Three candles that illuminate every darkness: Truth, Nature, and Knowledge.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.