The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 06:13:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 06:13:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking For a Deity...  (Read 6947 times)
PhoenixRising
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 03, 2008, 08:58:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 05, 2007, 10:02:00 pm »

I hope this is in the right thread, still kinda new here. I was wondering if anyone might have some info on a specffic type of diety that might be able to help me. I guess I should explain what I mean. I have alot going on in my life mostly stress and I was thinking about doing a personal ritual to ask for help to be able to find peace and not feel so stressed all the time. I'm aware that magic isn't a cure all or anything like that and I am doing things in my everyday life to help with stress but I really could use a little help. So any Dieties that you think might be able to help would be reaaly helpful for me. I've got what I need for my ritual now I just need the right Deity!

Blessings and Thanks,
   Phoenix
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 10:21:48 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject modified » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 05, 2007, 11:00:55 pm »

I was wondering if anyone might have some info on a specffic type of diety that might be able to help me. . . I have alot going on in my life mostly stress and I was thinking about doing a personal ritual to ask for help to be able to find peace and not feel so stressed all the time.

I'm not sure how you feel about Catholicism, but St. Francis of Assisi (patron saint of animals, the environment, and peace) has helped me through many stressful times.  His writings are truly inspirational and praying to/meditating on him always makes me feel better. 

On a more pagan note Smiley, you might consider Irene (Greek goddess of peace).  Regardless of the deity you chose, consider the worship style specific to his/her pantheon, and be sure to give something in return (offering, devotions, or whatever is appropriate).     
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 06, 2007, 02:02:59 pm »

I hope this is in the right thread, still kinda new here. I was wondering if anyone might have some info on a specffic type of diety that might be able to help me. I guess I should explain what I mean. I have alot going on in my life mostly stress and I was thinking about doing a personal ritual to ask for help to be able to find peace and not feel so stressed all the time. I'm aware that magic isn't a cure all or anything like that and I am doing things in my everyday life to help with stress but I really could use a little help. So any Dieties that you think might be able to help would be reaaly helpful for me. I've got what I need for my ritual now I just need the right Deity!

Why do you think that you need a Deity's help at all? Why do you want the aid of a deity? (there are a lot of different rituals you could do which do not require the aid of a specific deity which could be helpful).

It seems to me like you are trying to pick a deity out of mythology who you think will help you just because they "have the right traits" and you call on them. This, in my not-so-humble opinion, is a Very Bad Idea. IME the deities all have personalities very much like we do, and most don't seem to appreciate being called on simply because they "are a goddess of 'whatever'", especially if you have little or no intention of working with them ever again.

Been there, done that. Wink Just trying to save you some trouble.

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 06, 2007, 02:31:19 pm »

It seems to me like you are trying to pick a deity out of mythology who you think will help you just because they "have the right traits" and you call on them. This, in my not-so-humble opinion, is a Very Bad Idea. IME the deities all have personalities very much like we do, and most don't seem to appreciate being called on simply because they "are a goddess of 'whatever'", especially if you have little or no intention of working with them ever again.

I completely understand Dania's POV here. However, my belief differs to this as I could be regarded by some as a duotheistic Pagan (ie; I believe in one God, and one Goddess). Yet I do believe that the God and the Goddess have many different faces- soft polytheism perhaps? Consequently, I would say that it doesn't matter which Name you choose to call upon as long as you honour them geniunely and correctly, as all Names are aspects of the one God/ Goddess. But of course this is just my opinion, and yours may completely contrast it and that's absolutely fine. Just giving another angle to look at.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
PhoenixRising
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 06, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »

Dania,
      I'm understand what your saying I guess I put the question out in hope that I would get some help and that's what I'm getting and I'm greatful for it. I'm not new to Paganism but I am to the whole doing a personal ritual. I belong to a great Circle but I'm still just begining my path and I feel like I need some help so I guess I had the wrong idea about calling a Deity when I should have asked for help from the God/dess and not anyone in particular. I haven't chosen or been chosen by a Deity yet so I will most defienlty hold off on calling anyone. Do you know where I could find a spell that would help with my situation. I would be most greatful.
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 06, 2007, 04:39:56 pm »

I completely understand Dania's POV here. However, my belief differs to this as I could be regarded by some as a duotheistic Pagan (ie; I believe in one God, and one Goddess). Yet I do believe that the God and the Goddess have many different faces- soft polytheism perhaps? Consequently, I would say that it doesn't matter which Name you choose to call upon as long as you honour them geniunely and correctly, as all Names are aspects of the one God/ Goddess. But of course this is just my opinion, and yours may completely contrast it and that's absolutely fine. Just giving another angle to look at.

Ah now see I believe and work as a hard polytheist. That "all gods are one God" thing does *not* make sense to me; not knocking anyone who uses that model, really. I just can't understand it as it is so far outside of the way I experience things.

Dania,
      I'm understand what your saying I guess I put the question out in hope that I would get some help and that's what I'm getting and I'm greatful for it. I'm not new to Paganism but I am to the whole doing a personal ritual. I belong to a great Circle but I'm still just begining my path and I feel like I need some help so I guess I had the wrong idea about calling a Deity when I should have asked for help from the God/dess and not anyone in particular. I haven't chosen or been chosen by a Deity yet so I will most defienlty hold off on calling anyone. Do you know where I could find a spell that would help with my situation. I would be most greatful.

What kind of 'spell' exactly are you looking for? I don't do spells, exactly (I don't call them that at any rate LOL) but I have a few things lying around that I think would be helpful, if I knew what you were looking for specifically.

PhoenixRising
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 06, 2007, 07:13:01 pm »

The whole all gods are one God" thing doesn't work for me either. What I'm looking for is something to get rid of  and banish negative emotions and energy. I have so many things going on home, work and emotionally that I'm so wore out and stressed that I'm physical sick all the time. I stay feeling sick to my stomach and can barely eat, if I even smell food I have this bad need to throw up. I originally was going to write all the things that where bothering me down on paper and then burn them under the light of the moon. Something easy but with feeling behind it.
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 06, 2007, 07:24:06 pm »

I originally was going to write all the things that where bothering me down on paper and then burn them under the light of the moon. Something easy but with feeling behind it.

That would work!!

I have a ritual that might help you. I'll PM it to you. Smiley

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: November 06, 2007, 07:37:17 pm »

Phoenix, please use the quote function when replying.  Thank you.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
PhoenixRising
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 06, 2007, 07:45:20 pm »

Phoenix, please use the quote function when replying.  Thank you.

like this? I'm still trying to figure it out, sorry! Cheesy
PhoenixRising
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 06, 2007, 07:48:19 pm »

That would work!!

That would be great, I'm most greatful!! Do you have to call the quaters to make a circle is there an simpler way?
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: November 06, 2007, 07:50:16 pm »

like this? I'm still trying to figure it out, sorry! Cheesy

That's perfect, thanks! Smiley

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 06, 2007, 07:52:33 pm »

That would be great, I'm most greatful!! Do you have to call the quaters to make a circle is there an simpler way?

I don't do either. What I sent you was basically a ritual bath. Wink

I really, don't use a circle OR quarters, most of the time. Well I don't call quarters *ever* I do use a "circle" on occasion.

PhoenixRising
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 06, 2007, 07:54:22 pm »

That would work!!

Thank you so much! I will give that a try for sure! What oils and herbs would you suggest? Also is there a stome, gem or crystal that I could possiblly care with me to help??
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 06, 2007, 07:57:41 pm »

Thank you so much! I will give that a try for sure! What oils and herbs would you suggest? Also is there a stome, gem or crystal that I could possiblly care with me to help??

I have a huge crystal collection but I don't use them for much. As for oils, I wouldn't recommend essential oils unless you know what you're doing some can burn your skin.

Loose herbs also work, in a hot bath they make a sort of "tea". Lavender is supposed to be relaxing, of course I am allergic so I don't find it very relaxing at all. One of my favorites is chamomile for relaxation. Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)