The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 07:01:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 07:01:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Looking For a Deity...  (Read 6942 times)
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 07, 2007, 07:59:54 am »

I have a huge crystal collection but I don't use them for much. As for oils, I wouldn't recommend essential oils unless you know what you're doing some can burn your skin.

Loose herbs also work, in a hot bath they make a sort of "tea". Lavender is supposed to be relaxing, of course I am allergic so I don't find it very relaxing at all. One of my favorites is chamomile for relaxation. Smiley

Chamomile is relaxing.  Valerian Root is good too.  Mint too, imho.  You could brew up some chamomile tea and pour it into a bath.  Also, I will take loose herbs and put them into a coffee filter, and tie it up with string and throw it into a bath tub and let it steep in hot bath water and then soak in it for a ritual bath.

Now see I like to take a bath with my crystals when I am doing a ritual bath or need a little boost/cleansing. Wink

But be careful, not all stones are meant to be bathed with!

Crystals are okay.

I will set up candles around the tub, in colors appropriate to whatever I want to accomplish (blue and green would be good for calming for instance).  Add the herbs, sometimes I will add my own bath salts.  Do the crystals and candles, and meditate.  I am a hard polytheist, but do believe there is an overall Divine Force that is above and beyond even what we consider Gods that we all came out of, including the Gods.  When in doubt, I call upon the Divine.   If you are not sure what Deity, you can do this, or just generally meditate.  I love meditating in a bathtub Smiley

Btw I repeat the oils warning.  Some are not meant to be used directly, and are to be used sparingly even if you make your own oils.  (add the essential oils to oil I mean) I like Scott Cunningham's book on bathsalts and essential oils in general.  It is a good guide for this sort of thing.

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 07, 2007, 02:13:10 pm »

Mint too, imho. 

Mint IS very relaxing, but I would use spearmint or field mint, not peppermint. If you use peppermint, and you use essential oils, a word of caution: peppermint oil is stimulating, NOT relaxing!! Grin

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 07, 2007, 02:24:51 pm »

Thank you so much! I will give that a try for sure! What oils and herbs would you suggest? Also is there a stome, gem or crystal that I could possiblly care with me to help??
Lemon balm is another wonderfully soothing herb.  I personally prefer it in a bath to tea - it has this beautiful lemon-y scent, but tastes a bit like grass - though a friend of mine drinks the tea regularly.  (She's an elementary school teacher.  She needs all the serenity she can get!)

For me, valerian is more of a sleep aid than a relaxant.  Great if one of your symptoms is insomnia. For my sweetie, it's just a mild relaxant, though.  So it depends on your personal chemistry.

Kava could be good if you can find some.  AFAIK, it hasn't been officially banned by the FDA, but their studies made many stores nervous enough to pull it from the shelves.  (There's some question of it's effect on the liver.  I'm perfectly comfortable taking it, but I've found the studies unconvincing.  You'd have to make your own call.  Though I'd definately recommend not taking it if you already have liver problems.)

As for stones, blue lace agate and rose quartz are very soothing for me.  Hematite is very grounding, so it might be useful if your stress, like mine, manifests as agitation and an inability to focus on anything.
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 14, 2007, 11:30:01 am »

As for stones, blue lace agate and rose quartz are very soothing for me.  Hematite is very grounding, so it might be useful if your stress, like mine, manifests as agitation and an inability to focus on anything.

I'd also suggest to carry a black tourmaline with you, all the time, to repel all the negative energies around you, and absorb your own negative energy.

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 14, 2007, 12:12:27 pm »

Mint IS very relaxing, but I would use spearmint or field mint, not peppermint. If you use peppermint, and you use essential oils, a word of caution: peppermint oil is stimulating, NOT relaxing!! Grin

I use candy mints to cure headaches...
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 14, 2007, 08:41:42 pm »

I've heard that peppermint oil in bathwater is a bad idea.  I want to say the person that tried it found it to feel VERY cold, even in the hot water.  I've never tried it myself though.  Anyone want to experiement?

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: November 14, 2007, 08:53:25 pm »

I've heard that peppermint oil in bathwater is a bad idea.  I want to say the person that tried it found it to feel VERY cold, even in the hot water.  I've never tried it myself though.  Anyone want to experiement?

It is so menthol-like that it does make you feel as if you are cold.
Personally I would never recommend peppermint in bathwater, as it doesn't do well with the umm...more delicate parts of the body.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 15, 2007, 01:53:29 pm »

It's probably not the best idea, however I have used it with no complications. I'm talking a few drops in an entire bathtub full of water. Yes it does feel cool on your skin; sometimes that's a good thing! Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)