The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2019, 01:34:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2019, 01:34:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Moral codes  (Read 18888 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 06, 2007, 12:25:58 pm »

Hello all,
A while back I was having a conversation with a (typically non-judgemental) Christian friend of mine who said to me that she believed a religion could not truely be a religion unless it had a set of moral codes. She said her moral codes were the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus in the New.
Consequently I am wondering, in your own religion do you have any moral code(s) that you try to stand by?

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 06, 2007, 12:44:30 pm »

Hello all,
A while back I was having a conversation with a (typically non-judgemental) Christian friend of mine who said to me that she believed a religion could not truely be a religion unless it had a set of moral codes. She said her moral codes were the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus in the New.
Consequently I am wondering, in your own religion do you have any moral code(s) that you try to stand by?

FlameKeeping says: The Universe is Divine, and it is our place to try and improve the Universe.

Beyond that, most of it is personal interpretation.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 06, 2007, 12:49:33 pm »

ma'at, ma'at, ma'at.  Smiley try to uphold ma'at, try not to be, as it was termed here, sand in the wheels of life.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 06, 2007, 12:51:03 pm »

Well, I'm studying ADF Dedicate program and they have the nine virtues which I am meditating on and trying to incorporate into my life.  The nine virtues are:

1) Wisdom
2) Piety
3) Vision
4) Courage
5) Integrity
6) Perseverance
7) Hospitality
8 ) Moderation
9) Fertility
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 06, 2007, 01:49:58 pm »

Hello all,

Nope.  My ethics and code of behavior is entirely non-religious.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 06, 2007, 01:55:29 pm »

The third Core of Belief and Practice:

"The third and final “core” of belief and practice is the acceptance of personal responsibility. This means considering the consequences of your choices before taking action, and also taking responsibility for all that you say and do (even when the results are not what you intended). It means understanding that every choice we make affects ourselves and maybe those around us; and that inaction is as much of a choice as a particular action."

I also have my own personal Code of Ethics/Honor which is a part of my path, but everyone who walks the path will have one which is slightly different.

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 06, 2007, 05:23:11 pm »

I follow the Wiccan Rede: An it harm none, do what you will. Now, this does not mean the same thing as "do not ever hurt anything." It's really more complex than that. I can do what I want as long as I don't cause harm (and I define harm as something deliberately damaging... an action with premeditated intent to do damage).

That makes it a very personal moral code -- what I think will cause harm may not be what you think may cause harm. But it's also very freeing, because there's no one ELSE who can tell me what to do. On the other hand, it's a difficult moral code to process for people who WANT to be told what to do, which is why I think so many Wicca 101 books simplify it down into "Harm None"... and then proceed to equate harm with hurt. But it's impossible to live and not hurt anything, and I don't believe equating harm with hurt was what the original framers of the idea meant.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 06, 2007, 05:52:18 pm »

I follow the Wiccan Rede: An it harm none, do what you will. Now, this does not mean the same thing as "do not ever hurt anything." It's really more complex than that. I can do what I want as long as I don't cause harm (and I define harm as something deliberately damaging... an action with premeditated intent to do damage).

I have the same kind of mentality as you do Karen, and I also try to follow the Wiccan Rede. I often find people telling me that it is impossible to live by and therefore a stupid moral code to have, but I find that it is a good thing to have at the back of my mind when analysing whether decisions will cause harm or not.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 06, 2007, 05:55:22 pm »

I have the same kind of mentality as you do Karen, and I also try to follow the Wiccan Rede. I often find people telling me that it is impossible to live by and therefore a stupid moral code to have, but I find that it is a good thing to have at the back of my mind when analysing whether decisions will cause harm or not.

I think it's a silly thing to aspire to in the modern form of "harm none" however in it's original form I think it's actually a very good guideline. Smiley

AlfrFiter5
Apprentice
Last Login:December 12, 2007, 08:54:06 pm
Greece Greece

Religion: Searching for One

We are all One

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 06, 2007, 07:10:47 pm »

Although I am not following a specific religion at the moment, I still have a set of moral codes I try to live my life by. The moral way I live my life has one religion it comes from, rather, it is many religions "codes" that I do my best to uphold. Here are my three biggest ones:

1) Honor
2) Selflessness
3) Love for others

"Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell. I was alone, forgotten, without escape on the hard horn on the world."
J.R.R. Tolkien
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 06, 2007, 10:34:05 pm »

Doesn't Jesus's coming in the NT kind of cancel out the OT laws? .. Eh. Nevermind. My head hurts. Lol.

My moral code is pretty simple.. and crude.

1) Don't harm or kill people.
2) Don't have sex with those you shouldn't.
3) Don't put things in your mouth if you don't know what they'll do to you (mentally, physically, etc.).
4) Take responsibility for your actions.

Its not entirely religious-based, mostly just own personal.. motto?

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 07, 2007, 01:34:23 am »

Although I am not following a specific religion at the moment, I still have a set of moral codes I try to live my life by. The moral way I live my life has one religion it comes from, rather, it is many religions "codes" that I do my best to uphold. Here are my three biggest ones:

1) Honor
2) Selflessness
3) Love for others

Mine are similar, but I know exactly where they came from: shamelessly cribbed from William Kauffman's The Faith of a Heretic. They are: courage, honesty, humility (or, as he says, humbition), and love. I combine this with the Kemetic concept of upholding Ma'at and with a code-of-honor worldview derived from many too many kung fu movies.

I think sometimes it's difficult to articulate a moral code ... it can be like a capital-M Mystery, where you either grok it or don't.
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 07, 2007, 06:49:41 am »

* snip *

I think sometimes it's difficult to articulate a moral code ... it can be like a capital-M Mystery, where you either grok it or don't.

I've always liked Marcus Aurelius' quote (I'm paraphrasing here) about us humans only having two obligations in this life: To see things as they truly are, and to try to make the world a better place. I also like many of the Delphic Maxims.

The problem is, I sometimes find it incredibly difficult to live up standards like those...and I often don't, unfortunately.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 07, 2007, 08:09:44 am »

Hello all,

Iactually to some extent disagree with her, because moral codes are not necessarily religious.  Many atheists do just fine with nonreligious moral codes.  Now many religions have similar moral codes to what some atheists have, but the moral code itself is not intrinsic to the religion.  What the deity wants is intrinsic to the religion, but that may be different than a moral code. 

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 07, 2007, 10:12:50 am »

A while back I was having a conversation with a (typically non-judgemental) Christian friend of mine who said to me that she believed a religion could not truely be a religion unless it had a set of moral codes. She said her moral codes were the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus in the New. Consequently I am wondering, in your own religion do you have any moral code(s) that you try to stand by?

Now, I disagree. Yes, most religions come with a moral code but it’s the same moral code that common sense would naturally develop in any civilization. “Thou shall not kill” and “Thou shall not steal” would develop in any ordered and civilized society. What most people are speaking about here, in my opinion, is dogma. That which is specific to that religion such as dietary habits, how to pray, social details, etc. To me, a moral code really shouldn’t have anything to do with religion. It’s interesting that no matter which religion you are looking at they have a moral code that looks similar to each other in some fashion. A moral code develops out of society, not religion.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)