The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 23, 2021, 06:12:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2021, 06:12:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's the Point?  (Read 12261 times)
Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 08, 2007, 12:39:01 am »

Why is religion important to you?  Why do you need it in your life?  How exactly does it relate to every day tasks such as doing your job or shopping for groceries?

I really like it when people ask these kind of basic questions. Sometimes you need to slow down and be a little more critical about the big picture. Smiley

Personally, I like the feeling of closeness with something I see as bigger than me. I'm the oldest of 3, the loudest one in most of my groups, the one with the oddball opinions on everything. I like the feeling that there's Someone Else in charge, seeing what I can't and maybe looking out for my best interests when I want things that aren't good for me.  Wink

Now, I know that athiests could point out that this is all in my head and an outgrowth of some psychological need that I'm lacking but so what? I'm not hurting anybody; I'm not letting the supernatural dictate my life; and I'm not trying to convince anyone else that what I'm doing is right. Live and let pray.

As for the mundane parts of my life, it means doing things to uphold ma'at. Hold open a door for someone; run after a person who's left something on the bus; stop people who try and shoplift from my store. Do whatever seems handy to make the world a little easier on others.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

skybyrd
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2009, 01:25:50 am
United States United States

Religion: Feral Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 08, 2007, 11:15:36 am »

Why is religion important to you?  Why do you need it in your life?  How exactly does it relate to every day tasks such as doing your job or shopping for groceries?

I'm still working on what it means to me be a hard polytheist instead of pantheist, and how it will fit in my life.  I still haven't told my husband, because he is an agnostic leaning towards atheist (which is odd, because according to Artio, he's one of Hers).  I can't say that I currently have a religion.  But, religion isn't defining factor for me, it is *faith* that is important.  What faith has done for me is to take away the smaller worries, it lets me live my life free and unfettered.  It affects things like grocery shopping or getting gas for the car by letting me relax and get what I need, without obssessing over the state of world.  My husband is constantly worrying about things he has no control over, things like gas prices increasing food prices, so in three months, we won't be able to afford to feed ourselves or he won't be able to go to school cause he can't afford the gas.  My faith has freed me from those worries because I *know* that I have help in my corner, that should things get bad, I'm not alone.   

sile
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 12, 2008, 03:28:39 pm

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 08, 2007, 06:03:57 pm »

Religion/spiritual practices are important to me because they provide some structure in my life.  I'm a bit impulsive by nature.  On the natch my mind is more active than I'd like it to be.  I've been told at times that if I didn't slow down I was going to think myself to death.

So I found my way onto the paths I currently practice.   The meditation and energy work I do calm and center me.  I can live without practicing, but when I practice I'm more at peace, and when I'm in that space I'm more likely be a social being.  It's awfully easy for me to hermit away if I'm not doing my spiritual thing.

Shopping for groceries?  Ever hear of Domino's?  They like me a lot when I'm not practicing.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 08, 2007, 06:26:54 pm »

Today I was journaling on the Earth element, coming up with all sorts of meanings and correspondences, and feeling like I was doing really well.
Then a little voice interuppted my bliss to ask, "so...how is this at all relevant to spirituality?"
Which then snowballed into, "How is this spirituality relevant to anything?"

SHOCK!!

No wonder I've had such a hard time actually practicing religion (though I'm good at studying it).  I've not figured out how religion fits into everyday life.  I know some people use religion to set their moral code, but I lived for over 20 years without religion and didnt steal anything or kill anybody.  So I guess I dont need it for that.

These are the questions I guess I need to answer myself, but I would like to hear your responses.  And for those of you athiests hanging around, why DONT you need religion?  All points of views would be greatly appreciated.

Long story short, it helps me get what I want in life.  It is an effective tool for coping with being a spiritual being having a human experience. 

The more connected you are to the nuts and bolts of what is important to you and what makes you feel then the better you can facilitate yourself feeling the way you want to feel, and responding to situations in ways that leave you feeling in control rather than a victim of circumstance.

I consider religion a Graphical User Interface to better work with my life.  I could go DOS, but why?  Why limit myself to command lines and C prompts when I can right click, left click and have a desktop that matches my mood any day of the week?

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 08, 2007, 08:57:20 pm »

One of the first people I came across on my way to here told me to take the time to write down on paper what religion was to me and spirituality and what I wanted out of my path.  It really helped me to ground myself and really give me a map, not that it won't change as I go along, but it helped me see where I am vs. where I was and where I want to be.

I have yet to draw my map, but I have at least figured out the destination.

I don't believe that anything I do in this lifetime will affect me after I die.  Therefor, I am simply living for this lifetime, for the sake of living!  I've decided while I'm here I might as well have a good time!  My journey is to have a lot of fun and few regrets.  I'm not exactly sure how that relates to spirituality in the way people usually think of it, but that is what my journaling on spirituality has boiled down to.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 09, 2007, 07:47:59 am »

I have yet to draw my map, but I have at least figured out the destination.

I don't believe that anything I do in this lifetime will affect me after I die.  Therefor, I am simply living for this lifetime, for the sake of living!  I've decided while I'm here I might as well have a good time!  My journey is to have a lot of fun and few regrets.  I'm not exactly sure how that relates to spirituality in the way people usually think of it, but that is what my journaling on spirituality has boiled down to.

It sounds like you're trying to take the moral/ethical systems out of faith.  Which is all fine and well, you can do that.  But at the same time there are actions that will for you as a person make you feel cheapened or degraded in the day to day living stuff.  These things wouldn't be a positive direction to take the portion of yourself that reflects upon your existence as being more than the sum of your parts.

For me ethics are primarily a civic contract.  The things I do to best facilitate going where I want to go and doing what I want to do.  Car wrecks and incarcerations and people who in general hate you don't create open doors for the most part.

Deific relationships don't always come with moral strictures, but I've found that to get where I want to go, it helps to work with the 'most desirable behavior' model.  Even though that is not absolute, or objective and changes from unit to unit.

Which is why I think  people seem to want to put their moral values in a container outside of themselves.  (Deity) It allows them to put their values in a frame that makes them 'absolute' relatively speaking.  lol.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #21: November 09, 2007, 08:35:28 am »

It sounds like you're trying to take the moral/ethical systems out of faith. 

I'm not trying to do that.  Morals and ethics will be built upon my foundation of bliss.  It's just that I'm starting out with a belief like, "I have to abstain from sex and swearing and eating too much chocolate, or I won't get into heaven when I die."  I agree with the Wiccan rede, "harm none and do what you will", but not because I'm afraid of retribution in the next life.

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 09, 2007, 10:52:16 pm »

I consider religion a Graphical User Interface to better work with my life.  I could go DOS, but why?  Why limit myself to command lines and C prompts when I can right click, left click and have a desktop that matches my mood any day of the week?

That's the metaphor I often use for religion.

The only problem with it for me is that it sounds so mechanical, when my spirituality is anything but. It's profound; paganism brings me a deep sense of connectedness to the whole damn universe.

Whiterabbit
Apprentice
Last Login:April 14, 2008, 07:19:18 pm
Sweden Sweden

Religion: Cottage/Green/Hedgewitch-mix

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 07, 2008, 08:44:53 am »

To me everything is Divine and there for a reason. Life is a spiritual journey, a quest and an adventure. So this means to mess less noble things (like having an argue or a hang-over) is great spiritual lessons, and shopping for grocery is being connected to the farmers and producers and in the end the God and Goddess, the land, and what can be more life-affirming than eating? I think the grocery-part is important to me, cause I want to buy organic, ecological food thats done less harm to Mother Earth in the process.(If I can. Its not always easy to know where it comes from...)
I think my faith is everywhere. Religion to me, any religion, is about human experience. Humans left traces everywhere for us to pick up. I do feel the presence of the Divine a little bit easier if I'm not trying so hard, searching so hard - but instead look at simple things that is always nearby. Stars, clouds, water, my own hands, a tree. When I feel this is difficult cause I'm all wrapped up in doing laundry and paying bills, I think about cave-people. They looked at what was around them and at some point it became magical and religious to them.(I imagine I feel what they felt, not knowing of course) Doing laundry and paying bills are some of things that sustains me and my family, hence sacred and deeply meaningful.
Its one big ritual! Life!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:08:17 am by Whiterabbit » Logged
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #24: April 07, 2008, 09:49:24 am »

Whiterabbit,

Just a couple of quick notes...  First, I notice you edited your post about 25 minutes after posting it.  If it's been more than 2-3 minutes and you need to add or correct something, you need to make a new post to do that rather than editing.  This is because the forum is busy enough that after 2-3 minutes people have already read it, and those who have will miss your corrections.  (If you were just doing something minor like correcting a misspelling, that's absolutely fine to do at any time, but you need to leave a note in the post letting people know that's all you were doing.)

Also, could you please put blank lines between paragraphs in your post (by hitting Enter/Return twice instead of once)?  It breaks up the text so that it's much easier for most people to read.

Thank you!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 07, 2008, 10:32:06 am »

Its one big ritual! Life!

It great that you think about life that way.  I am working on keeping mindful all the time.

Chaotic Equilibrium
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 16, 2008, 07:18:42 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Discordianism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: April 13, 2008, 02:09:15 pm »

The way I view my beliefs, my religion is not so much as something I think about or do. It's just something that I am. I never 'found' my religious beliefs, they've always been with me, they merely developed as I grew up and eventually found some ways to classify them. With actual names etc. The beliefs, the feelings and what my 'religion' is, merely is what I myself am. It's just another part of me.

So, perhaps you could say that it doesn't affect things in relation to what I do from day to day life but then, it does because it's shaped who I am. All my decisions are brought on by who I am and as my religious and philosophical beliefs are brought on through out my entire life and have developed with and as a part of me through out my life. They play in that respect, just as much a part in every decision and act I perform through out my life.

As they say, life's not about the destination, it's about the journey. I tend to view religion and my beliefs the same way, it's not so much about the destination, the classification or 'what it is you believe.' It's about that part of my life and how they've developed and grown with me in my own journey and forever will grow and develop.

When one realises that the more we know about the universe;
The more confused we seem to be.
It's perhaps time that we consider the fact;
That the universe, is smarter than we are.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #27: April 13, 2008, 03:53:40 pm »

Also, I don't think religion or magic represents the world as it actually is, and encourages people to engage with delusions.

Just to play devil's advocate, psych research shows that for many folks, mild delusions actually improve their quality of life.  For example, folks that maintain "rose-colored" glasses in a relationship tend to be happier.  (Note that I'm talking mild delusions here, not "he beats me 'cause he loves me" nonsense.)  I'm willing to accept that my religious beliefs could indeed be delusional, but as long as they don't interfere with normal functioning and make me feel happier, I'm willing to indulge them.

Sperran
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #28: April 13, 2008, 05:50:15 pm »

I'm willing to accept that my religious beliefs could indeed be delusional, but as long as they don't interfere with normal functioning and make me feel happier, I'm willing to indulge them.

That's pretty much my take on it too.  Could I be completely making this all up just to make myself feel better about the world?  Yeah.  Is it hurting anything or interfering with my ability to live a normal, functional, otherwise healthy life?  Nope.  So...  Meh.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: June 14, 2008, 01:39:11 pm »

Religion is not my aim; it is not synonymous with spirituality. I do not see anything particularily divine about mundane activities yet this is my view. Like EverFool I do not believe in deities and whatever I experience came from myself, not some symbol representing something else.

I am beginning to even wince at the word "magic" because we, as humans, often call that which we cannot explain as either magic or miracles. To me the power of intent is just that..the power of intentional action..not magic. Candles are great..in fact I frequently light them myself but if I need a job or am looking for something then searching the papers does more than lighting a candle, incense and reciting Shakespeare.

Spirituality comes from within, it doesn't come from worshiping a statue of Gonesha,Shiva or Bast..they're cool statues but that is all they are...they are great focal points but in the end they are just formed chunks of resin,stone or clay.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)