The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 05:20:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 05:20:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Religions imposed morals and society?  (Read 1874 times)
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: November 10, 2007, 07:24:17 am »

There has been a lot of discussion about religion and morals, I was wondering...

How do religiously imposed morals or behaviours effect society nowadays when there is Very little consistency in the religious beliefs of a community?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 10, 2007, 08:05:22 am »

How do religiously imposed morals or behaviours effect society nowadays when there is Very little consistency in the religious beliefs of a community?

Even in the US, they only seem to have a great deal of effect if the local community is mostly of one specific religion or if the moral rules under discussion are extremely common (that is, found in most religions and cultures -- things like don't murder, don't steal, etc.).  Here they often shape the political debate, however.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 10, 2007, 07:58:16 pm »

There has been a lot of discussion about religion and morals, I was wondering...

I agree with what Randall said, but also I think that as far as the younger generations are concerned many aren't even aware that some of the morals imposed upon them have come indirectly from a religious source. A lot of people whom I went to college with felt like they were rebelling against 'society' when they stole, or had pre-marital sex, or were disrespectful to their parents. The fact that these morals come from a religious, Christian, background didnt matter, as society had taken them onboard. Consequently I feel like the society in which I was bought up in had dropped religion, but kept its morals.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: November 10, 2007, 08:16:15 pm »

I agree with what Randall said, but also I think that as far as the younger generations are concerned many aren't even aware that some of the morals imposed upon them have come indirectly from a religious source. A lot of people whom I went to college with felt like they were rebelling against 'society' when they stole, or had pre-marital sex, or were disrespectful to their parents. The fact that these morals come from a religious, Christian, background didnt matter, as society had taken them onboard. Consequently I feel like the society in which I was bought up in had dropped religion, but kept its morals.

I would argue, actually, that they didn't have the morals they claimed - they were deliberately transgressing against /mores/, but not /morals/.  If you asked them, they probably had a reason why this was "moral" .. and they were probably also doing in public what they at least believed people in their parent's generation were doing and getting away with in private.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)