The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 03:08:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 03:08:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Parent/Child relationship/respect in Paganism  (Read 13871 times)
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #45: November 13, 2007, 10:31:54 am »

Reminds me of a monologue from the play that Dad just wrapped up directing for the civic theater.  One of the characters is an elderly gentleman who came to America in his mid-teens.

Very nice story, Star, thanks for posting that Smiley

I have a hard time condemning most parents who want their kids to not practice certain religions because I think mostly they do honestly believe that they're just keeping their child safe, even if I disagree about whether Paganism is something they really need to keep their child safe from.

I agree. If a parent is in a religion that they believe in, why would they not want to pass that along to there children? It only makes sense that they are trying to protect their children. I mean, if a parent truly believes f'ex that Christ is the only salvation, it would almost be seen as harming the child in their eyes if they don't do whatever they can to keep them where they are.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #46: November 13, 2007, 10:50:31 am »

Very nice story, Star, thanks for posting that Smiley

Wish I could take credit; I only paraphrased it.  I forgot, in my excitement, to mention the play's title; it's Over the River and Through the Woods by Joe DiPietro (sp?).

I agree. If a parent is in a religion that they believe in, why would they not want to pass that along to there children?

I agree with you, too, for the most part, but the way this is phrased makes me want to throw in my two cents on the other side.  Wink  Consider a split-religion household in which one parent belongs to a well-established, organized religion with a large community in the area, whereas the other belongs to a smaller, more obscure religion with no one else in the area and is still discovering their path themselves.  In such a situation, if the second parent is perhaps more concerned about passing on values and morals than their specific religious beliefs, and they believe that the first parent's religious community will provide instruction that is compatible with their values and morals even if the beliefs are different, they might be comfortable with (and even supportive of) their children being raised in the first parent's religion, rather than trying to pass on an ill-defined and ill-supported religion even if they believe in it very strongly.  (Says she whose daughter is being baptized on Sunday...  Grin )

But that's not the sort of household we're usually talking about in discussions about lying to one's parents about religion, so I should probably shut up about it.  Wink  In single-religion households where the beliefs are considered to be very important, which is normally what's meant in this context, I would agree with you.  I find it perfectly natural that they want to pass on their religion to their children, and would be somewhat surprised if they didn't.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #47: November 13, 2007, 10:57:55 am »

But that's not the sort of household we're usually talking about in discussions about lying to one's parents about religion, so I should probably shut up about it.  Wink 

I'd have thought split religion households actually make up a small but noticeable enough minority - I know there are a sprinkling of them just on TC - and that's just the ones I'd make an educated guess at from either what I know or from things people have said in posts. And yes I'm counting myself - which means I'm probably defining "split religion" more loosely than some people might Smiley

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #48: November 13, 2007, 11:08:52 am »

I'd have thought split religion households actually make up a small but noticeable enough minority - I know there are a sprinkling of them just on TC

Probably, yes.  But when we're talking about lying to one's parents about religion, here on TC at least, it's usually "I can't tell my parents I'm Pagan", which usually (though perhaps not always) has little to do with which parent is passing on what in a mixed-religion household, especially most of those represented on TC.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: November 13, 2007, 11:27:11 am »

I do feel like making big religious decisions like conversion requires a certain amount of maturity, and I don't feel like just because a child is capable of recognizing that other choices exist necessarily means that they're ready to make that choice. 

Before I officially left christianity, I was attending Mother of Preschoolers, and there were several conversations about young children (4-7) being saved, knowing Jesus, and how great that was.  I never gave an actual comment because the idea that a child that young could actually understand what was happening seemed to me to be assuming too much.  So when my daughter at the age of 6 -8 wanted to go to church with a friend to the kind of church that has saving at every service, I made her promise me not to go up. I told her,  Not that I didn't want her, well, really I don't want her to be a fundamentalist christian, but I won't stop her if she makes that decision as an adult, but I don't want her making that decision until she understands what;s going on.  And that is later teens to me, at least.  If she wants to go up and be saved then, I won't stand in her way.  In the meantime she needs to learn about different religions.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #50: November 13, 2007, 11:53:30 am »

Probably, yes.  But when we're talking about lying to one's parents about religion, here on TC at least, it's usually "I can't tell my parents I'm Pagan", which usually (though perhaps not always) has little to do with which parent is passing on what in a mixed-religion household, especially most of those represented on TC.  Wink

Using TC was a bad example on my part - it was just that I was guessing that split religion households in other non pagan combinations would also make up a noticeable minority. Which I guess leads us back to the "which religion do you raise your child?" which I know has come up before. I'll shut up now Wink

Although there's also the flip side of kids with pagan parent(s) wanting to become  (f'ex) Christian...

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #51: November 13, 2007, 02:13:57 pm »

I'd have thought split religion households actually make up a small but noticeable enough minority - I know there are a sprinkling of them just on TC - and that's just the ones I'd make an educated guess at from either what I know or from things people have said in posts. And yes I'm counting myself - which means I'm probably defining "split religion" more loosely than some people might Smiley

My parents didn't really have a religion, and they were careful to raise me without religion and let me make my own choices. That's one thing they DID do right IMO. (That didn't stop a certain family member from wanting to have me committed for my Pagan beliefs...but that's another story.)

I was 'saved' in a fundamentalist church when I was about 12 or 13 years old. My parents' response was "well one of us ought to be!" I left the church about a year after that though.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #52: November 13, 2007, 08:01:18 pm »

Consider a split-religion household in which one parent belongs to a well-established, organized religion with a large community in the area, whereas the other belongs to a smaller, more obscure religion with no one else in the area and is still discovering their path themselves.  In such a situation, if the second parent is perhaps more concerned about passing on values and morals than their specific religious beliefs, and they believe that the first parent's religious community will provide instruction that is compatible with their values and morals even if the beliefs are different, they might be comfortable with (and even supportive of) their children being raised in the first parent's religion, rather than trying to pass on an ill-defined and ill-supported religion even if they believe in it very strongly.

My house, largely. Thus the UU for us, which is a pretty good place for multi-faith families.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: November 13, 2007, 10:11:34 pm »

My house, largely. Thus the UU for us, which is a pretty good place for multi-faith families.

Have to disagree.

It's good for your family, but it wouldn't work for many others.

UU is Protestant, in a very "light" friendly fashion since they still do Christian communion. I don't see it as a decent compromise between say Jewish and Pagan.  It's neither any form of pagan (despite the existance of CUUPS) and nor any form of Jewish, nor any form of eastern Orthodox.

rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #54: November 13, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

Have to disagree.

UU is Protestant, in a very "light" friendly fashion since they still do Christian communion. I don't see it as a decent compromise between say Jewish and Pagan.  It's neither any form of pagan (despite the existance of CUUPS) and nor any form of Jewish, nor any form of eastern Orthodox.

*shrugs* lots of all of the above at our church, but we are in SF CA, which is certainly not representative of the UU church at large, in this regard, I am sure.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: November 14, 2007, 11:05:53 am »

Have to disagree.

It's not necessarily good for jewish and pagan (although the widowered jew I know who goes there might disagree), but it functions for any mainstream or liberal christian and anything else.

Jokes from a UU site

Last time I heard god mentioned at church was when the janitor fell down the stairs.
WHat's the definition of a UU?  An atheist with children.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: November 14, 2007, 12:03:30 pm »

Jokes from a UU site

Last time I heard god mentioned at church was when the janitor fell down the stairs.

I heard one once that went: How do you run a UU out of town? Put a ? in their yard.
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #57: November 14, 2007, 07:33:27 pm »

hee....love it...or in our case a Southern Baptist and a witch...teaching sunday school is really fun, though. That's my favorite part.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #58: November 14, 2007, 07:59:59 pm »

[quote ]
[/quote]

To thread, have I ever mentioned that I love you guys.  Sorry, sorry, Seriously though.  Back to your regularly scheduled thread.  You all crack me up.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)