The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 09, 2020, 12:14:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 09, 2020, 12:14:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reading too much into everyday things  (Read 9007 times)
Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 13, 2007, 09:53:10 pm »

One reason why so many people suddenly see everything as a sign may well be because they've just learnt about such things as 'deities sending messages via mundane reality', and therefore are looking more at things that 'might' be more than simple coincidences.

I know after reading a book on animal magic, I've suddenly been noticing things that, frankly, I wouldn't have before. I walk to work, and suddenly I keep seeing feathers dropped all over the place (not necessarily unusual, it's mating season for the magpies here - territory battle time!).

On the other hand, in my personal works, I'm feeling rather drawn to the Egyptian pantheon, Bast in particular. Now if I wanted to, I could read a lot into the fact I've been drawn here. In RPG gaming in the past on the net (when I was younger), I constantly found myself playing Egyptian Deities, notably Taweret, Wepwawet and Bast. I've always had an insatiable appetite for anything Egyptian, I love reading novels about Egyptian times, I would love to visit. Recently, I've been seeing cats everywhere. My cat refuses to go near anyone when I'm not around, even if they attempt to bribe him with chicken. I've been schmoozed by strange cats while walking home from work. Just this morning, I was flicking through a jewellery catalogue, and (somewhat unusually, actually), there were two rings that jumped out at me. One was a gold, Egyptian-themed one, the other, a gold cat-themed one. I've never seen similar rings in any other jewellery catalogue before.

Now, I could call all that signs from the gods. Or, I could look at things realistically, and break it down. I love reading about ancient cultures in general, although Egypt is my favourite. That fact that I love ancient cultures probably influenced my RPG Characters, and also the desire to visit Egypt. Seeing cats everywhere - I may just be paying more attention than I used to. My cat not approaching strangers without me - well, he's a rescue cat, and generally will follow me everywhere when I'm home. I walk by the same route every day, so the strange cats may well have just got used to me and saw me as an easy mark for a cuddle (probably less wary than my cat). The jewellery catalogue? Still unusual to see these designs of rings, however I haven't actually seen any catalogues by this same company before either. And again, I may just be paying more attention, particularly in light of recent happenings.

I don't necessarily see this as a sign, but I'm open-minded enough to want to follow up with meditations on Bast, given that I feel drawn to her, Taweret and Wepwawet at this point anyway. I figure if one of the gods wants my attention that badly, they'll find an obvious way of doing things. I view what's been happening as being changes more within me than anything. I'm studying about gods, and drawn to a particular few. I see something ordinary that reminds me of them, or seems 'obvious' or 'out of place' and it brings them to mind.

I'm becoming a little more spiritual in my daily practice, and just being reminded of my spirituality by everyday things more than when I knew none of this.

A sign from the gods for me would be one appearing on my TV screen and saying: "Oi! You! Get over here and devote yourself to me!" Grin

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sile
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 12, 2008, 03:28:39 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 14, 2007, 01:24:21 am »

What's the excuse when you were born into a non-religious family in a non-religious area and just woke up one morning 'knowing' that a certain form of Paganism was the one for you?

It's not an excuse.

It's an example of the lengths we'll go to in the process of finding our "spiritual selves."  Most intuition has a basis, be it a magazine article, a TV show, or a cartoon.  When I get honest with myself, I have to admit that there were some pretty mundane stimuli behind most of the spiritual big deals I've lived through.

There are a "bazillion' belief systems around the world because every early societal group needed to come up with a religion to explain their existence and to fit their particular wants, needs, and imaginations.  We're not really all that different from them today.  Put 100 of us with absolutely no spiritual background into a spiritual vacuum and we're going to come up with some kind of weird spiritual path because as a group we seem to need one.  There'd be unbelievers, alternate paths and the whole nine yards in the group.  All from 100 members.

There's nothing new or unique under these stars, but we've all got our mystical moments.  Even me.

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: November 14, 2007, 01:41:00 am »

this topic makes me think of the "mother mary virgin" that was recently found in a pizza box or some such thing

That kind of stuff happens a fair bit.  Well, not an actual figure.  But it's a recorded phenomenon that people see specific (and sometimes 'directed') images, sounds, etc, in extremely vague stimuli.  Like St Mary in  some tree bark.  Or Satanic lyrics on backwards heavy metal (I actually heard one of the infamous examples.  You couldn't hear any said lyrics until you were told what they were supposed to sound like.).  Now, this doesn't apply to everyone, all the time.  Plenty of people *don't* see Jesus in ever damn random bit of cloud of tree bark.

But there are people who do make these connections, and once they have, are unwilling to imagine that they are seeing things.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
sile
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 14, 2007, 02:59:58 am »

this post is a tangent from my post entitled "peacock feathers to Hsi Wang Mu" in the Gods, Goddesses, etc " discussion area. I know once you read it you, like many others, might think I am silly or finding things where they are not....I kind of regret posting it.......but I was in all honestly at a loss of what to think because what was happening seemed unusual and different than other such things I have experienced to be false or just mundane events, etc.....I don't normally look into anything such as that...I just thought the discussion board would be a better outlet than what I have available to me offline.

read. laugh. reply.  Cheesy

all in good nature ofcourse Smiley

You shouldn't regret posting the thread, it was nifty.  Like I said in my last post, I have my mystical moments too, they're just few and far between.  I'd put something up here about the energy I've been dealing with from Orisha Worshipers lately but I haven't figured it out myself yet.  I don't know that I'm all that much into hanging out with  wild African warrior gods with me being a pale white guy and all.  I also don't know that I'd do as good a job handling the heat as you did when some of our regulars started being their normal lovable selves regarding your experience.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: November 14, 2007, 07:06:22 am »

That kind of stuff happens a fair bit.  Well, not an actual figure.  But it's a recorded phenomenon that people see specific (and sometimes 'directed') images, sounds, etc, in extremely vague stimuli.  Like St Mary in  some tree bark.  Or Satanic lyrics on backwards heavy metal (I actually heard one of the infamous examples.  You couldn't hear any said lyrics until you were told what they were supposed to sound like.).  Now, this doesn't apply to everyone, all the time.  Plenty of people *don't* see Jesus in ever damn random bit of cloud of tree bark.

But there are people who do make these connections, and once they have, are unwilling to imagine that they are seeing things.

And it's pretty easy to see a face in random things.  I can see faces in any random bit of stuff if there's three dots in a triangle that mimics eyes and a nose.

Doesn't mean every tree is looking at me - means I've got an overgrown case of pattern recognition!

(I also used to play tetris with random shapes on the wall and saw Starcraft wraiths on the bathroom floor in the mornings in the dorms.  I sincerely doubt there were cloaked warships following me in the bathroom!)

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 14, 2007, 07:30:54 am »

I saw the Eye of Horus in a slice of soy bacon once -LOL!  No it wasn't a sign. The human mind is wired to find sight/sound connections. I think we all remember the rather famous photo from the World Trade Center were people saw the face of Satan.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/962839/detail.html
hassMysteria
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2007, 05:59:40 pm

Religion: Solitary Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: November 14, 2007, 08:22:50 am »

And it's pretty easy to see a face in random things.  I can see faces in any random bit of stuff if there's three dots in a triangle that mimics eyes and a nose.

Doesn't mean every tree is looking at me - means I've got an overgrown case of pattern recognition!

(I also used to play tetris with random shapes on the wall and saw Starcraft wraiths on the bathroom floor in the mornings in the dorms.  I sincerely doubt there were cloaked warships following me in the bathroom!)

that is interesting you say that because there is something called 'matrixing' which causes us humans to see faces and the like in vague patterns and such....much of which makes up ghost faces in phtographs...not all..but many of them are because of this phenomena.

"envy is ignorance; imitation is suicide"
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 14, 2007, 12:06:13 pm »

that is interesting you say that because there is something called 'matrixing' which causes us humans to see faces and the like in vague patterns and such....much of which makes up ghost faces in phtographs...not all..but many of them are because of this phenomena.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Apophenia is the experience of seeing patterns or connections in random or meaningless data. The term was coined in 1958 by Klaus Conrad, who defined it as the "unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness".
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: November 14, 2007, 02:01:10 pm »

I saw the Eye of Horus in a slice of soy bacon once -LOL!  No it wasn't a sign. The human mind is wired to find sight/sound connections. I think we all remember the rather famous photo from the World Trade Center were people saw the face of Satan.

Actually I think this is the first I've heard of that 'face.'  Maybe it got less play here in the UK.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
hassMysteria
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2007, 05:59:40 pm

Religion: Solitary Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: November 14, 2007, 02:06:13 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Apophenia is the experience of seeing patterns or connections in random or meaningless data. The term was coined in 1958 by Klaus Conrad, who defined it as the "unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness".

this is what I was talking about : Matrixing: a process by which we humans continually organize, order, align, or standardize, the un-organized, un-ordered, mis-aligned, or non-standardized, allowing us to manage the chaos around us into something that is more beneficial to us.

"envy is ignorance; imitation is suicide"
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: November 14, 2007, 02:10:50 pm »

Actually I think this is the first I've heard of that 'face.'  Maybe it got less play here in the UK.

Probably so.....it was all over our less then distinguished newspapers at the time.
sile
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: November 14, 2007, 02:54:25 pm »

The first you've heard of Satan's face in the smoke during the WTC Towers collapse?  Some folks build a little parody around it.  If you're not one that treats the event like a sacred totem you'll probably like it.  Of course you'll have to view all the pics to see the parody. You just want the devil, look at the first link and leave.

http://www.amuseyourself.com/scare-yourself/osama-wtc-guy-bert-is-evil/page011.html
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #27: November 20, 2007, 11:59:48 am »

this post is a tangent from my post entitled "peacock feathers to Hsi Wang Mu" in the Gods, Goddesses, etc " discussion area. I know once you read it you, like many others, might think I am silly or finding things where they are not....I kind of regret posting it.......but I was in all honestly at a loss of what to think because what was happening seemed unusual and different than other such things I have experienced to be false or just mundane events, etc.....I don't normally look into anything such as that...I just thought the discussion board would be a better outlet than what I have available to me offline.

read. laugh. reply.  Cheesy

all in good nature ofcourse Smiley

Trust me, I've seen much worse. I know the forum where fiamma's comment on the "dog turning 7" thing came from.

Ugh. *headdesk*

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: November 27, 2007, 05:08:32 pm »

Trust me, I've seen much worse. I know the forum where fiamma's comment on the "dog turning 7" thing came from.

Ugh. *headdesk*

I don't know where you saw it, but I saw it on TC.

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #29: November 29, 2007, 06:02:37 pm »

I don't know where you saw it, but I saw it on TC.

Ehh.. oops. I worded it wrong.

I meant that I know WHERE the "dog turning 7" thing came from.

Oops. Embarrassed

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)