The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 15, 2021, 04:10:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 04:10:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Support for non-locality of the universe - maybe  (Read 1314 times)
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 13, 2007, 12:36:23 pm »

...Now, Jacob Dunningham from the University of Leeds and Vlatko Vedral from the University of Leeds and the National University of Singapore have modified Hardy’s scheme, publishing their results in a recent issue of Physical Review Letters. By eliminating all unphysical inputs, their scheme allows for a real experiment, and ensures that only a single particle exhibits nonlocality. Plus, Dunningham and Vedral’s scheme not only applies to single photons, but to atoms and single massive particles, as well.

Complete article

I thought this was interesting. It turns out they have not actually DONE the experiment, just designed it, but in theory it unites entanglement and superposition as being one and the same. It supports non locality (what you do here effects something instantaneously way over here) as being a closer model of reality.  That at the point of origin (Big Bang) everything was connected and to differing degrees remains connected in teeny tiny ways. Maybe.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 13, 2007, 05:55:07 pm »

I thought this was interesting. It turns out they have not actually DONE the experiment, just designed it....

It lloks like this experiment could be done -- at least in theory. In practice, I'm not sure we have the technology to actually do it in a convincing manner.  But it is very interesting, nevertheless.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 13, 2007, 10:58:23 pm »

It lloks like this experiment could be done -- at least in theory. In practice, I'm not sure we have the technology to actually do it in a convincing manner.  But it is very interesting, nevertheless.

Yes, just what I thought. Not sure about it and will try and monitor the reaction from various Big Guys, but it is an interesting theory. It would be great to get actual experimental results. I was all excited about it at first, but then on closer reading I understood they had not actually performed it, but I thought a few folks here might be interested.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: November 14, 2007, 08:17:36 am »

I was all excited about it at first, but then on closer reading I understood they had not actually performed it, but I thought a few folks here might be interested.

I definitely am interested. The fact that an experiment has been designed that answers the objections to previous experimental designs at least shows that this type of non-locality can't be ruled out.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)