The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 06:30:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 06:30:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner Gods and Goddesses?  (Read 11639 times)
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 14, 2007, 03:21:17 pm »

Hello again all,

I was thinking again, always a dangerous past-time, and I thought about the children of pagans and how they were introduced to the worship of different deities. Would you introduce them to your own gods? Or find them one that agreed with their intrests? Are there any you would forbid them from messing around with?

For those of you without children, who would you reccomend to a beginner?

------------------------ ------------------------- ------------------------- --------------

I myself have always pushed Hermes as a good first relation; he's easy going and forgiving, and isn't likely to ask for anything a beginner would be unable to provide. Unless he's just in a weird mood. Though Athena might be right for the more studious individual.

I also think that if someone's genuinely attracted to a certain deity then that's who they should work with, though I'd preach moderation if it were a deity like Ares or another violently tempered god/dess.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 06:02:45 pm by RandallS, Reason: Reduced length of line of dashes and broke it up to allow word wrap » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

ErickaJo
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 27, 2008, 05:11:22 pm

Religion: mishmoshmillymosh

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 14, 2007, 03:51:44 pm »

Hello again all,

I am loathe to break down any pantheon into a coloring book.  Perhaps you shouldn't pick and pan your deities by ease of absorption.  Maybe teach the gods that you want to teach, but do it in a simplified manner.  Calculus is heavy stuff, so we start with algebra.  You can always delve into them in greater depth later.

Do you want to keep them from the Kali and the Morrigan?  That's up to you.  I don't think deities should be broken down as beginner/intermediate/advanced.

ErickaJo
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 14, 2007, 03:53:05 pm »

Hello again all,

I was thinking again, always a dangerous past-time, and I thought about the children of pagans and how they were introduced to the worship of different deities. Would you introduce them to your own gods? Or find them one that agreed with their intrests? Are there any you would forbid them from messing around with?

Didn't do much in the way of religion with my kids. Just letting them find their own paths. I did have to set them straight on some of the odder Chirstian stuff they picked up from other kids though.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 14, 2007, 03:59:48 pm »

I'm not a fan of approaching a god/goddess just "because they're easy to work with" or "because their name appears on a list next to X trait" (I'll save you my rant on this subject! LOL)

I think that if a deity has taken an interest in you, go for it! If that's what you want. I also think that if you have a nagging interest in a particular deity for some reason, go for that as well. Keeping in mind, of course, that ALL deities can be "dangerous" even the "benign" ones (and some of the "bad" ones aren't nearly as bad as everyone says, either.) Also keeping in mind that one person's experience with a particular deity might be completely different from someone else's, so beware going by one person's experience only.

I think the best thing that you can do, before helping someone to contact a deity (any deity) is to help them to know where their boundaries are, and make sure they have the 'guts' to enforce those boundaries. Also make damn sure they understand what personal responsibility means, and what commitment means. Because any commitments that they make to deities are going to be way harder to get out of than their mortal counterparts!!!

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: November 14, 2007, 04:01:50 pm »

It seems to me that rating deities by how easy they'd be...  Well, I dunno.  It sounds to me like something one might do if you believe they don't have their own reality as such.  (imagine recommending friends to someone based on how 'easy' they'd be for a social beginner.)

Not that I have a problem with not believing in deities of course. Cheesy

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: November 14, 2007, 04:05:34 pm »

Hello again all,

I find that an inherently weird question.

What friend would you recommend a child approach first?  Would you start with English or math?

These things are holistic - you can't just pick the bits that you like.  You can't take the gods that are "easy" and ignore the rest.  That's just asking for trouble, IMO.

There are ideas and paths of approach I might recommend, or not, based on the person.  But I can't say "this god's easy, go talk to him".  That would be asking for trouble, IMO.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
ErickaJo
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 14, 2007, 04:11:28 pm »

I find that an inherently weird question.

There are ideas and paths of approach I might recommend, or not, based on the person.  But I can't say "this god's easy, go talk to him".  That would be asking for trouble, IMO.

*snort*

*imagines the "what do you mean, I'm easy?!" response.

ErickaJo
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: November 14, 2007, 04:13:24 pm »

*snort*

*imagines the "what do you mean, I'm easy?!" response.

There is one goddess who immediately came to mind when I read this.  A cookie for whoever can guess her.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 14, 2007, 04:15:09 pm »

(imagine recommending friends to someone based on how 'easy' they'd be for a social beginner.)

If you had a friend who had a tendency to be aggresive or expected complete commitment would you introduce them to someone who's never met another person? Or would you introduce that person to someone who's kinder and willing to be patient as long as it takes?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know I'm being subjective, and I stated in my first post that if they were drawn to someone you shouldn't try and change that.

However, I've had people ask me, who do you think I should worship? What do I tell them? "You should definitely go poke Ares, and when you're done their go pledge yourself to the Morrigan and call Kali up just to chat." No way, that would be stupid and irresponsible. And even potentially dangerous.
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 14, 2007, 04:15:48 pm »

There is one goddess who immediately came to mind when I read this.  A cookie for whoever can guess her.

It's Aphrodite. Is the cookie chocolate chip or peanut butter?
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 14, 2007, 04:18:31 pm »

Keeping in mind, of course, that ALL deities can be "dangerous" even the "benign" ones (and some of the "bad" ones aren't nearly as bad as everyone says, either.) Also keeping in mind that one person's experience with a particular deity might be completely different from someone else's, so beware going by one person's experience only.

Believe me I've got that down, I work with Ares.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 14, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »

However, I've had people ask me, who do you think I should worship? What do I tell them? "You should definitely go poke Ares, and when you're done their go pledge yourself to the Morrigan and call Kali up just to chat." No way, that would be stupid and irresponsible. And even potentially dangerous.

If someone asks me "who do you think I should worship" My answer would be flat out "I cannot tell you who to worship." It's true. I CAN'T. I have no idea even where to begin. I wouldn't even try to answer that.

It's Aphrodite. Is the cookie chocolate chip or peanut butter?

I would have thought Morrigan. She would give a sneering reply like that. Grin

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: November 14, 2007, 04:20:14 pm »

I wouldn't answer that with a name.  I'd answer that with questions.

Give the person a map, but let them find their own way.  Giving someone an answer at that point strikes me as crippling.

if someone comes up to you and says, "I need to find a new friend", do you say "go talk to Mike" or do you help them learn how to make friends on their own?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 14, 2007, 04:22:38 pm »

if someone comes up to you and says, "I need to find a new friend", do you say "go talk to Mike" or do you help them learn how to make friends on their own?

Very good points Dania and Shadow.

ErickaJo
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 14, 2007, 04:22:51 pm »

However, I've had people ask me, who do you think I should worship? What do I tell them?

I'd have to hit the brakes if someone were to ask me who to worship.  That is, right at its core, one of the most personal decisions you can make, and it should not be made for you.

You cannot tell someone who to worship.  You can recommend who they should learn about, and then, armed with that knowledge they can go forward.  Or you can just point them to the library.  You shouldn't be guiding anyone towards a certain deity.  You can give them the tools and the knowledge, and they can guide themselves.

Giving someone a book is a lot less explosive them giving them a religion. 

ErickaJo

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)