The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2020, 04:58:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 04:58:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner Gods and Goddesses?  (Read 11646 times)
Magpie
Apprentice
Last Login:January 30, 2011, 03:50:05 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox

Gravatar

Dice and Diamonds

Blog entries (0)

the_magpie

Ignore
« Reply #30: November 18, 2007, 12:56:42 pm »

-snip-
    For those of you without children, who would you reccomend to a beginner?
-snip-

I don't have any children of my own, but I do have a 4-year-old little sister. My parents, being open-minded and "more spiritual than religious", as they like to say, seem to be raising her to be open to God in whatever form It chooses for her. It's not a big issue for her right now, as she's still too young for formal religion in our eyes,  but she has seen my altar, and she has heard her father and myself talking about religion. If I were raising my own child, I would tell them that there are many Gods, and you should approach Them all with respect. I get the feeling that my child will grow to know his or her own gods by experiencing me with mine, and my acquaintances and friends with theirs. Always, though, as he or she explores these gods, I will make sure that he or she knows that the most important thing with any deity is not the deity's disposition, but the respect with which you treat Them.

As for a beginner, I would mostly stress the same thing - respect all the way. I would advise the beginner to research deities and allow himself or herself to find one that he or she feels called to. Of course, this won't always indicate the deity (if any) who want to claim or walk with the individual, but it's a good jumping point to get used to working with the divine. I wouldn't advise a beginner to attempt to approach any deity without doing extensive research into Unsubstantiated Personal Gnosis as well as historical information. With adequate knowledge and more than enough respect, any deity may be suitable for a beginner. There are a few deities I wouldn't advise - such as Loki or Aset - but those are just through my own personal experiences, your mileage may vary. Then again, if a beginner truly feels like either Loki or Aset is calling them, I would encourage them to do all of their research.

In summary: it's all a matter of respect. There's no real 'beginner deity', as far as I can tell - there are some less suited for beginners, but none specifically suitable for them. If someone has done enough research and uses enough respect, they will have reasonable success communicating with any deity.

As always, that's all just my $0.02, your mileage may vary, and so on and so forth. Smiley

"The gods care not if you rage and thrash your breast. They hear not words but thoughts. They speak not to ears. Be silent then and let them speak to the god within. Be quieter still and let the will speak through you."
Awakening Osiris - Normandi Ellis

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)