The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 29, 2020, 01:07:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 01:07:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Holiday Recipe Exchange  (Read 16309 times)
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 18, 2007, 04:57:10 pm »

'Tis the season for me to be in the kitchen and I'm getting tired of making the same four side dishes every year.  The ubiquitous green bean casserole is just plain getting on my nerves.  Undecided

Would anyone be interested in exchanging favorite recipe ideas for holiday meals (or for that matter, any meal this time of year)?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aisling
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 18, 2007, 05:01:48 pm »

Would anyone be interested in exchanging favorite recipe ideas for holiday meals (or for that matter, any meal this time of year)?

Since I've started this, might as well be the first to share!  This is one of my own creations, perfect with chicken or ham.

Rosemary Potatoes

6 small red potatoes, sliced thick
1 medium sweet potato, sliced thick
1 medium sweet onion, sliced thin
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons dried rosemary
1 teaspoon salt
teaspoon white pepper

Pour olive oil into the bottom of a baking dish.  Add all ingredients and toss until coated with oil.   Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes, turning occasionally until potatoes are tender.

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 18, 2007, 05:34:38 pm »

'Tis the season for me to be in the kitchen and I'm getting tired of making the same four side dishes every year.  The ubiquitous green bean casserole is just plain getting on my nerves.  Undecided

We redid the green been casserole as asparagas casserole with parmegiano cheese, and while it was "different" something was just missing.  I for the most part aside from every now and again like the traditional.

One year I brined a turkey - which I might do again sometime.  By soaking it in salt water and herbs, it comes out stew meat tender.  For the most part because you've filled it with a saline soloution.  The only down side was the salt. (too salty)

The thought of frying a turkey icks me out on principle.

I do like stuffing though but we're pretty classic and boring.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 18, 2007, 05:35:14 pm »

This is a desert, but it is beyond the beyond of yummy, and nice change from pumpkin pie

Pumpkin Bread Pudding Per the Oct. 07 issue of Gourmet

1 C heavy cream

3/4 C. solid pack pumpkin

1/2 C. whole milk

1/2 C. Sugar

2 large eggs, plus one egg yolk

1/4 t. salt (but I never include this) 2 t. pumpkin pie spice, or 1/2 t ground cinnamon 1/4 t ground ginger 1/8 t. allspice pinch of cloves

5 C. cubed (1 inch) day old baguette, or crusty bread

3/4 stick unsalted butter (but I used a whole stick)

Preheat oven to 350, with rack in the middle whick toghether cream, pumpkin, mikl, sugar, eggs, yolk, salt and spices in a bowl.

toss bread cubes with butter in another bowl, then add pumpkin mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to an ungreased 8' square baking dish (or whatever seems like it will fit) and bake until custard is set, 25 or 20 minutes.

I think it would be really good with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, but we ate it warm and plain, yum.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: November 18, 2007, 05:47:54 pm »

I wanted a sweet potato dish that had marshmallows, but I did NOT want that sickeningly sweet one that seems to show up every year. So I came up with this one late this summer, tried it, and it will be on our Christmas dinner list.

Whipped Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole

3      Sweet potatoes, large, peeled and diced
4 tbsp   Margarine
1/2 cup   Apple juice
1/3 cup   Brown sugar
2 tsp      Cinnamon
1 tsp      Allspice
1/2 tsp   Nutmeg
2      Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/4 cup   Milk
Cooking spray
Marshmallows to top

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large stockpot filled with enough boiling water to cover potatoes, add sweet potatoes and cook until completely tender (about 18-20 minutes). Remove from water and drain. Place in a large bowl and mash lightly. Set aside

In a saucepan, melt margarine and add brown sugar and spices. Mix well and add apple juice. Add diced apple and simmer for about 5 minutes or until apples are very tender. Mix the apple mixture into the drained sweet potatoes along with the milk. Mix well using an electric mixer.

In a 9 x 13 dish coated with cooking spray, spread sweet potato mixture and top with marshmallows.

Bake about 20 minutes or until heated through and marshmallows have melted and begun to brown.

Serves 6-8

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Aisling
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 18, 2007, 06:12:09 pm »

One year I brined a turkey - which I might do again sometime.  By soaking it in salt water and herbs, it comes out stew meat tender.  For the most part because you've filled it with a saline soloution.  The only down side was the salt. (too salty)

I usually brine my turkeys, just so I don't have to baste them as they cook. 

What kind of salt are you using?  I usually go for kosher salt or something with larger salt crystals and that seems to keep it from getting too salty.  A friend tried brining using a very fine sea salt instead of kosher salt and that turkey was practically pickled after an overnight bath in the brine!

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: November 18, 2007, 06:21:56 pm »

What kind of salt are you using?  I usually go for kosher salt or something with larger salt crystals and that seems to keep it from getting too salty.  A friend tried brining using a very fine sea salt instead of kosher salt and that turkey was practically pickled after an overnight bath in the brine!

I brine mine before I smoke it and use 2/3 cup kosher salt in with a whole bunch of different spices, water and ice cubes.

Are you discarding the skin? That would be one thing you'd want to do.

Ashtarot
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 21, 2010, 11:33:13 pm

Religion: still finding my way

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 18, 2007, 06:53:24 pm »

This is considered a dessert pudding but I like it without the whipped cream to go with the turkey.

Cranberry Dessert

1 pound fresh cranberrys
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch

Boil the cranberries briskly in 1 3/4 cups water until the skins burst.
Rub the cooked berries though a sieve. Return the puree to the pot and add the sugar.
Mix the cornstarch with a little water and stir into the puree. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce
the heat, and cook until it thickens.
Put in a serving bowl and chill. Can serve with whipped cream.

It says that it serves 4 to 6 but with my hoard I have to double this to serve 6 to 8.

I is soo much better that canned cranberries.

If you have a problem with cornstarch then you can use potato flour instead.

There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.
Douglas Adams
Ashtarot
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 21, 2010, 11:33:13 pm

Religion: still finding my way

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 18, 2007, 07:05:39 pm »

Forgot to add that you can take the pulp that is left over and add to muffins. My favorite is spiced orange and cranberry ones.

There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.
Douglas Adams
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 18, 2007, 07:10:22 pm »

That might have been where I went wrong.  I grind my salt (sea salt) in a mortar and pestle to a really fine powder before putting it in.  I wonder what that does to the whole thing that makes it so salty.

-LIz Pahir
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: November 18, 2007, 07:26:24 pm »

That might have been where I went wrong.  I grind my salt (sea salt) in a mortar and pestle to a really fine powder before putting it in.  I wonder what that does to the whole thing that makes it so salty.

You end up using more if you're not measuring it out before you grind it.

Aisling
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 18, 2007, 07:45:53 pm »

Basically, what Lyric said! Smiley

Honestly, I can't remember the exact science behind it, but it goes something like this...  The greater the mass of salt you put in a given volume water, the more saline it will be.  A pound of salt, regardless of type, should produce a similar salinity in a gallon of water.

The problem is that recipes tend to measure by volume rather than weight, which is why you had a salty turkey.  A cup of table salt is going to weigh a lot less than a cup of finely ground sea salt.  This means that a cup of table salt will make a less salty brine than the ground sea salt. 

The key, if you're using a salt other than table salt, is to measure by weight rather than volume.  A cup of table salt weighs about 10 ounces.  If you're substituting sea salt, don't measure it by the cup... weigh it out instead and use 10 ounces for every cup called for in the recipe.   This should help you avoid pickling your turkey!

(This concludes our food science lesson for today... LOL!).

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: November 18, 2007, 08:01:51 pm »

Whipped Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole

You know, it's funny, my first thought was to post a sweet potato-apple casserole I found this year and am taking to the usual round of Thanksgiving stuff.  It's not the same as yours, though; it's layered and involves leeks and doesn't have marshmallows on top.  I'll post it in the morning if I remember.  (We tried it yesterday.  It's not, like, the world's best casserole, but it was good enough, and an interesting change from the usual sweet potato stuff.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 19, 2007, 09:28:02 am »

Basically, what Lyric said! Smiley

Honestly, I can't remember the exact science behind it, but it goes something like this...  The greater the mass of salt you put in a given volume water, the more saline it will be.  A pound of salt, regardless of type, should produce a similar salinity in a gallon of water.

The problem is that recipes tend to measure by volume rather than weight, which is why you had a salty turkey.  A cup of table salt is going to weigh a lot less than a cup of finely ground sea salt.  This means that a cup of table salt will make a less salty brine than the ground sea salt. 

The key, if you're using a salt other than table salt, is to measure by weight rather than volume.  A cup of table salt weighs about 10 ounces.  If you're substituting sea salt, don't measure it by the cup... weigh it out instead and use 10 ounces for every cup called for in the recipe.   This should help you avoid pickling your turkey!

(This concludes our food science lesson for today... LOL!).

HA!  upon thought, that was an utter DUH maneuver.  Well whaddayaknow.  We may end up trying the brine, take two this year.

-LIz Pahir
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: November 19, 2007, 09:32:30 am »

I'll post it in the morning if I remember. 

Right.  Here it is.  The original recipe said 1/4 lb sweet potato, but I changed it to 1 1/4 because...  that has got to be a typo.  I don't know if I can even find a sweet potato that's only 1/4 lb, and if I could it wouldn't be nearly enough for this recipe.  I bought one that was 1 1/4 lb for my first attempt at this and it was just right, though.

SWEET POTATO & APPLE BAKE   

INGREDIENTS:   
1 large (1 1/4 lb) sweet potato   
3 medium Golden Delicious apples   
1 teaspoon lemon juice   
1 large leek   
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened, divided
1/4 teaspoon Salt   
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper   
1/4 cups apple juice   
2 tablespoons unseasoned bread crumbs   
1 tablespoon brown sugar   

DIRECTIONS:   
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Peel and thinly slice sweet potato.  Peel, core, and cut apples into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place apples in bowl and add water to cover; add lemon Juice. Trim off top of leek 1 inch above white; discard top and root end. Cut leek lengthwise in half and clean well under running cold water. Thlnly slice leek crosswise. Drain apples well; pat dry.

Grease 1 1/2-quart casserole with 1 tablespoon butter. Place one third of apples in bottom of casserole; top with one third of leek slices and one third of sweet potato. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat to make 2 more layers. Dot top of casserole with 2 tablespoons butter; pour apple juice over all.   

Cover tightly with lid or aluminum foil and bake 45 minutes.   

Meanwhile, to make topping, in small saucepan, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; stir in bread crumbs and brown sugar until well combined. Uncover casserole and sprinkle with topping. Bake uncovered 10 to 15 minutes longer or until potato slices are tender. Serve immediately.   

Yield: 6 Servings

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)