The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 02, 2020, 02:15:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 02:15:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Have you done anything risky for your faith?  (Read 3505 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Topic Start: November 19, 2007, 10:36:57 pm »

Hi folks,

I was recently involved in a discussion where folks were talking about the usefulness of blood oaths and such and wondered if any of you have ever done anything dangerous or risky for your faith.  It could be mildly dangerous (like blooding your ritual tools) or really risky (like moving across the country on the authority of your deity). 

I guess the most dangerous thing I've done for my faith is just being open about my faith.  I don't consider it an extravagant risk, but even today, just being a Jew can pose a certain amount of risk.

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #1: November 19, 2007, 11:04:08 pm »

if any of you have ever done anything dangerous or risky for your faith.

I once caught three coy-dogs in an abandoned gravel pit so the wild-vet could neuter/spay them, then released them again.  The pit will stay rural for their lifetimes most likely, but urban sprawl would catch the next generation. 

It was an act of kindness so these three sibs would have a good life in the wild without leaving progeny to get twisted up with advancing civilization.  (advancing civilization always wins)  They have rabbits and other natural prey there and lots of den spots for the next several years.

It was a little risky, even with good traps, but I needed a favour and this was the price. Cheesy

Absent

(edited to add:  favour from my deity, not from the vet

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 20, 2007, 10:46:47 am »

I was recently involved in a discussion where folks were talking about the usefulness of blood oaths and such and wondered if any of you have ever done anything dangerous or risky for your faith.  It could be mildly dangerous (like blooding your ritual tools) or really risky (like moving across the country on the authority of your deity).

I'm pretty sure my move from Boston to Minnesota was deity inspired somewhere in there - I just didn't know it at the time. (A bunch of things coordinated in a way that still amazes me, and also, I just had to be out here.)

I've done a number of things in ritual that many people describe as dangerous. That said, most of them were *more* safe (in terms of effective safety precautions, etc. even if I wasn't fully aware of what precautions were taken) than two things I did regularly as a pre-teen and teenager (competive Pony Club and 4-H riding, and downhill skiing on substantial New England mountains.)

It sort of puts my ritual experiences in perspective because I'd grown up knowing that there are risks to many things that matter to me, and it's a matter of what precautions, awareness, and education are part of the picture. (Also trust.)

The one that was probably hardest for me (though actually one of the safer ones in absolute terms) involved being bound in a way that triggered my 'argh, I can't breathe' response due to constricting material at the neck. (It could have been removed within 5 seconds or less if such had actually been needed, and a number of other precautions were also taken to avoid things like the potential for falling, etc.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 20, 2007, 10:58:27 am »

I was recently involved in a discussion where folks were talking about the usefulness of blood oaths and such and wondered if any of you have ever done anything dangerous or risky for your faith. 

Lately I've been doing a lot of traveling alone (up to distances of 300 miles away), and usually involving night time stuff. As a young girl, that's probably not the brightest thing to do, but I've been led to do it, and I have thus far been perfectly safe (and have learned a lot of interesting lessons in the mean time).
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 20, 2007, 02:03:31 pm »

I use blood quite often, actually. Smiley

I think most of the risks I take in terms of my faith are purely psychological (I have done many things that put me at a rather big risk of losing my mind, but not so much a physical risk. Grin)

Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 20, 2007, 02:17:18 pm »

Hi folks,

I guess the most dangerous thing I've done for my faith is just being open about my faith.  I don't consider it an extravagant risk, but even today, just being a Jew can pose a certain amount of risk.

Sperran

I don't know exactly what constitutes a risk, to be honest.  Some feel I have done risky things; tho' it doesn't necessarily feel that way to me.  I have used blood....cut myself to bleed and so mark and "hallow" the main artifact of my spiritual practice.
But that doesn't seem 'risky' in and of itself to me.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 20, 2007, 02:24:10 pm »

In the only very mildly dangerous category, I've done some traveling as part of an ongoing, multi-stage pagan pilgrimage. The most dangerous leg thus far was traveling to east Africa by myself (albeit with guides for most of the time). I fretted beforehand a bit about various possible dangers (from diseases, wildlife, other humans), but all was well...in fact, it was a fantastic experience.

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 20, 2007, 02:25:24 pm »

I guess the closest thing I've done is move from CA to AZ based partly on divination.  But there were mundane factors involved to, the cards just kinda tipped the scale.

I don't consider pricking my finger to get some blood particularly risky, since the tools I use are clean and infection is unlikely.  Maybe if a larger wound was involved, but I've never felt the need to go there.

(OTOH, I've done many things that felt risky, even though there was no real threat involved.  I'm a very timid person by nature, so conquering my fears a major area of work.)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: November 20, 2007, 03:51:26 pm »

I've done something that feels personally risky - I started doing the essays on my website that had my personal views and answers to the questions.  (I need to get back to that.  argh).

It's not risky in that it's going to get me hurt physically or anything - but it is exposing a part of myself that I like to keep well-hidden.  And I think it helps to have that view on the essays .. but I DON'T like doing it.  I'd much rather be private about that sort of thing.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 29, 2007, 10:18:45 am »

It could be mildly dangerous (like blooding your ritual tools) or really risky (like moving across the country on the authority of your deity). 

I'm so boring, I've done nothing even mildly dangerous.

The only blood I've ever spilled was for Ares' knife for my altar, which was dumb of me because I tried to use a dull (And rather unclean) pocket knife. But no harm, no foul; though it took me almost 15 minutes to even get a drop of blood, mainly because I'm a wuss.

I've also snuck over to the local "psychic" and the gem store, to look at prices and buy my runes, but that's not really risky either.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)