The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 07:25:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 07:25:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Question about meditating  (Read 2269 times)
Mizri
Last Login:December 13, 2007, 10:45:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan-eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 21, 2007, 04:19:58 pm »

I have a question about mediating.  I've meditated before and gotten visions, most are not too vivid.  I meditated yesterday and got a very vivid vision that is troubling me.  In this vision, I was at a farmer's market of sorts, looking at fruit.  The fruit I was looking at was similar to a canteloupe, but smaller, a tad bigger than a peach.  It smelled very sweet, like a canteloupe does.  As I picked up the fruit, each piece was more rotted than the previous.  As it went on, the smell went from sweet to very musty and rotten.  I picked up a small sack of these fruits, with 6 pieces in it.  I looked at the bag and all 6 pieces were completely rotted and covered in fruit flies.  I dropped the bag and heard a man laughing at me from somewhere.  It was then that I was thrown out of my meditation. 

I have no idea what this can mean and I'm still bothered by it.  I was given some sage earlier to cleanse my house of bad spirits, which I have done already.  I haven't meditated again yet.  I wasn't sure where to post this, so if I'm in the wrong place, I'm sorry. 

Thanks for any help/insight.

~Mizri

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 22, 2007, 03:21:15 am »

In this vision, I was at a farmer's market of sorts, looking at fruit.  The fruit I was looking at was similar to a canteloupe, but smaller, a tad bigger than a peach.  It smelled very sweet, like a canteloupe does.  As I picked up the fruit, each piece was more rotted than the previous.  As it went on, the smell went from sweet to very musty and rotten.  I picked up a small sack of these fruits, with 6 pieces in it.  I looked at the bag and all 6 pieces were completely rotted and covered in fruit flies.  I dropped the bag and heard a man laughing at me from somewhere.
Not sure if this is of significance for you, but on a Christian backround that would be common vanitas-imaginery. You'll also find that in all sorts of arts, especially from the early 20th century if I'm not mistaken. For example a painting with a woman who is beautiful and seductive on one side, but a rotten sceletton on the other. Or take poems from Gottfried Benn where you have romantic imaginery combined with stuff about death and graphic displays (entrails of the human body etc.). (I also think that plays a role in Deathly Hallows when the snake comes out of Bathilda's body and Harry discovers that she's dead.)

Vanitas in the Christian tradition doesn't just mean to be overly proud. Vanity in the sense of being proud is just one meaning of the word that is connected with the basic meaning of something being of no significance and being transient. If someone is overly proud for mundane achievments and concentrates only on mundane pleasures he/she forgets that he/she will die and loose that, thus vanity also means being delusional and striving for senseless goals instead of concentrating on religious matters.

In a Christian interpretation your fruits would be the decieving mundane pleasures, while finding them rotten would be descovering the vanity of them and being reminded that every physical thing on earth has to go (memento mori).

I'm telling you this because it's such a common feature of art and you may have picked it up somewhere even if you don't come from a Christian backround. Now you just have to find out what this means for you. I hope this info helps you in some way.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 22, 2007, 09:43:52 am »

I'm telling you this because it's such a common feature of art and you may have picked it up somewhere even if you don't come from a Christian backround. Now you just have to find out what this means for you.

This is an important point with meditation. Most of the time, I find that the imagery that comes up for me is about my subconscious and my Higher Self giving me important information; sort of a waking dream. I would not immediately assume icky creatures with bad intent, although I think it is always a good idea to cleanse the space and set energetic boundaries before you meditate, especially if you are a natural traveler. When I get puzzling imagery during meditation, I try other ways into the meaning of it...journaling, asking for an explanatory dream, or divination.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 23, 2007, 03:26:45 am »

Most of the time, I find that the imagery that comes up for me is about my subconscious and my Higher Self giving me important information; sort of a waking dream.
I had a second thought about this. Vanitas and memento mori imaginery can come up when you have to part from something old. Maybe those rotten fruits are telling you that something that was nourishing you in the past isn't so anymore and you have to go on and look for different 'fruits'. The laughing man could be the part of yourself that knew this for a while, but you never listened to so you can decieve yourself to hold on to your loved old 'fruits' a bit longer.

I hope that helps. I'm just guessing though, so don't take it serious if you see no relevance for your situation.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)