The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 23, 2019, 02:52:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 02:52:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Beads  (Read 3923 times)
Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 22, 2007, 05:49:12 pm »

Ok, just a quick question about prayer beads. Roll Eyes
  • Do you use them in meditation? why? why not?
  • How do you use them?
  • Are they helpful?

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 22, 2007, 06:28:39 pm »

Do you use them in meditation? why? why not?

I don't for several reasons. First, I don't have a deity that I pray to right now. Second, when I did, I found repeating the same prayer over and over again was meaningless and distracting. Third, it seemed just too Catholic. I don't like adapting things that were meant for another religion into mine. And fourth, I kept dropping them. Smiley

When I did use them, I went through a prayer set, one prayer for each bead. I had three different colors, so I did a prayer for each color.

So I didn't really find them helpful, in the end. That might not hold true for you, though.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 22, 2007, 06:49:24 pm »

. Third, it seemed just too Catholic. I don't like adapting things that were meant for another religion into mine.

my understanding is that several religions use the repeating prayer idea, with the beads for counting, not just catholics. Hindus  ANd the catholics may not have been the first.  Apparently there is a gospel ban on 'vain repetitions". 

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/114/story_11442_1.html

not that this counters any other reason why you may not use them, including they don't work for you, but just pointing out that they aren't just catholic.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 22, 2007, 07:25:29 pm »

not that this counters any other reason why you may not use them, including they don't work for you, but just pointing out that they aren't just catholic.

But since most of my associations with prayer beads are with catholicism, it still just doesn't feel pagan enough to me. *shrugs*

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 22, 2007, 08:02:32 pm »

• How do you use them?
  • Are they helpful?

I agree with Mithril that prayer beads just feel too Catholic for me. However, I use something very similar with the same concept behind it. I bought myself some regular old cord and then put different things onto it, to make a sort of necklace/bracelet type thing. The things I put onto it mean a lot to me- such as a crystal for protection, the first pentacle I ever bought from a little market in Germany, a heart shaped piece of wood...you get the idea. I use this as a sort of meditation technique, just by running the different objects through my fingers over and over. I find it very relaxing, and an easy way to get into a meditative state.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 22, 2007, 11:31:45 pm »

Do you use them in meditation? why? why not?

There's two different ways I've been taught to use them.

I was first taught to use them during training, as a way of measuring distractability during meditation work. You have a string of beads (it can have a symbolically appropriate number, but it doesn't have: the only requirement is that the beads are large enough to count easily between the fingers.) Meditate. Each time your focus fades, move your fingers one bead down.

This both gives you a measure of (hopeful!) improvement over time - you can see far more clearly that, say, a month ago, you had 10 distractions in 10 minutes, and this week, you have 3. But it also teaches you to stay in trance state with something in your hands, and with a certain level of conscious movement. (I've parlayed this into having a pen and paper in my lap during personal work: I keep my eyes closed, but am good enough at writing/sketching stuff I can get useful notes down on paper even so.)

The other one - and the one I'm slowly working on collecting beads for - uses a bead for each different prayer. The construction method I'm interested in heavily influenced by Donald Engstrom's work. There's an example of one of his prayer bead strings (and he has multiple ones) in _The Pagan Book of Living and Dying_  but there's another person's interpretation with some quotes from that book here: http://kalimountain.tripod.com/circlebeads.html online.

Basically, you have a bunch of beads (and unless you want the same prayer repeated, use different beads.) You have one (short: one line is common) prayer for each bead. So, for example, some strands I've seen basically set up a circle at the beginning, by inviting the elements or quarters, then specific allies, deities, etc. I've seen strands to remember beloved dead, for daily prayers, for ongoing long-term workings. For everything except the daily ones, it's common to *not* use them every day - but maybe every week, or new and full moon, or whatever else seems appropriate.

I'm not currently doing this, but it's been an ongoing project to collect beads for it, and I'm pretty sure it'll turn into actual practical work sometime in the next year or two.

Neither of these uses feels particularly Catholic to me : they're different methods of using small round objects to organise one's prayers. You don't have necessarily the same straight repetition of either Catholic rosaries or Buddhist prayer beads; there's a lot of design potential for what structures matter most to you.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 23, 2007, 12:12:18 am »

The things I put onto it mean a lot to me- such as a crystal for protection, the first pentacle I ever bought from a little market in Germany, a heart shaped piece of wood.

Thats a really nice idea, i like the thought of personalizing it a bit.

Basically, you have a bunch of beads (and unless you want the same prayer repeated, use different beads.) You have one (short: one line is common) prayer for each bead. So, for example, some strands I've seen basically set up a circle at the beginning, by inviting the elements or quarters, then specific allies, deities, etc. I've seen strands to remember beloved dead, for daily prayers, for ongoing long-term workings. For everything except the daily ones, it's common to *not* use them every day - but maybe every week, or new and full moon, or whatever else seems appropriate.

Neither of these uses feels particularly Catholic to me : they're different methods of using small round objects to organise one's prayers. You don't have necessarily the same straight repetition of either Catholic rosaries or Buddhist prayer beads; there's a lot of design potential for what structures matter most to you.

Thats sort of what I'm thinking of doing with the beads now, so thanks for the explanation (it helped clear things up Smiley)...

I was wondering before if prayer beads, in a pagan context, were basically the same as rosary beads and it sounds like they can be as different or similar as i choose, so yay Cheesy

Thanks everyone

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 24, 2007, 08:51:39 am »

• How do you use them?
  • Are they helpful?
I use beads and I make them. I love the meditation that the beads allow me to fall into and I love the feeling of safety I get when they are on. I suppose it helps that I spent a great deal of time choosing the beads for them and making them, it makes them a part of me as opposed to just a set of beads. I also make beads for others, but they come to me with any beads they already have and they come with me to the store and explain what numbers and concepts are important to them so I hope that those beads also hold a piece of them in the way that mine hold a piece of me.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 09:30:17 am

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 24, 2007, 09:54:36 am »

• How do you use them?
I use them and make them. I have a couple of necklaces of prayer beads I made that all the beads have specific meanings to me and I use them to remind me of the things I have lived through to get where I am and to stay focused on spirit in meditation
  • Are they helpful?

healing, light and peace
White Raven
Allstar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2009, 03:05:02 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 25, 2007, 02:28:51 am »

I was first taught to use them during training, as a way of measuring distractability during meditation work. You have a string of beads (it can have a symbolically appropriate number, but it doesn't have: the only requirement is that the beads are large enough to count easily between the fingers.) Meditate. Each time your focus fades, move your fingers one bead down.

This both gives you a measure of (hopeful!) improvement over time - you can see far more clearly that, say, a month ago, you had 10 distractions in 10 minutes, and this week, you have 3. But it also teaches you to stay in trance state with something in your hands, and with a certain level of conscious movement.

I loved this idea so much that I just made myself a string of beads to use for this purpose!  Thanks.  Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)