The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 24, 2020, 07:38:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2020, 07:38:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Sexuality  (Read 4292 times)
nevar07
Permanently Banned
Apprentice
Last Login:November 28, 2007, 11:24:45 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 23, 2007, 02:08:13 pm »

Have any of you ever pondered the subject of Celtic sexuality? Or wonder if it even exists? I know the concepts of sacred sexuality and sex magic, but recently I have become interested in the idea that maybe the Celts had particular views towards sexuality in general. Now, I am talking of pre-Christian Celts of course. Did sex or sexuality have any role in tribal Celtic society? Did it have any resonance in Druid magic? Do any of you have any suggestions or musings of your own to add to this question? Thanks, Frank

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Armagh444
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2010, 07:16:15 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 24, 2007, 12:30:33 am »

Have any of you ever pondered the subject of Celtic sexuality? Or wonder if it even exists?

Well, the Celts were humans, and as such, the fact that they had some particularized notions about sexuality pretty much goes without saying.

Did sex or sexuality have any role in tribal Celtic society?

Naturally, both had a role in tribal Celtic society.  But I don't think that's really what you're asking.

Did it have any resonance in Druid magic?

Based on the studying I have done to date, there certainly wasn't a form of sexual magic akin to that practiced in Wiccan traditions (or at least akin from what I've been able to gather of Wiccan traditions).

Honestly, Nevar, this question would be a lot easier to answer if you could be more specific with regard to what sort of information you are trying to glean.

Three things from which never to be moved: one's Oaths, one's Gods, and the Truth. The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty. Three candles that illuminate every darkness: Truth, Nature, and Knowledge.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: November 25, 2007, 12:42:49 pm »

This is NOT the appropriate folder for this question.  I'm moving it.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Gobae
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 11, 2008, 02:37:28 pm

Religion: Druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 29, 2007, 03:41:28 pm »

This is NOT the appropriate folder for this question.  I'm moving it.

To where?  I wanted to contribute.

Gobae - The Blacksmith
Ancient Celtic Clans
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: November 29, 2007, 03:56:06 pm »

To where?  I wanted to contribute.

it is now in the appropriate folder.  I never marked it moved.

However, the original poster has been banned.  You can still post, but he's not capable of responding.

Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 29, 2007, 04:36:29 pm »

Have any of you ever pondered the subject of Celtic sexuality? Or wonder if it even exists? I know the concepts of sacred sexuality and sex magic, but recently I have become interested in the idea that maybe the Celts had particular views towards sexuality in general. Now, I am talking of pre-Christian Celts of course. Did sex or sexuality have any role in tribal Celtic society? Did it have any resonance in Druid magic? Do any of you have any suggestions or musings of your own to add to this question? Thanks, Frank

A good book on the subject is Sex and Marriage in Ancient Ireland by Patrick C. Power.
Gobae
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 11, 2008, 02:37:28 pm

Religion: Druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 30, 2007, 09:17:05 pm »

The little we know about "Celtic sexuality" deals almost entirely with how it affected "social contracts", marriage, divorce, inheritance and the like.  This is because the Brehon laws that contain it survived long enough to be written down. 

The only other place we can get some indication about this topic is from archaeological evidence in the form of the few anatomically correct offerings that have been discovered.  Unfortunately, these are often superficial views because the typical interpretation of them revolve around things like prayers for pregnancy, increased virility or the correction of ED.

Celtic sex magick?  Druid sex magick?  We TRULY know so little about ACTUAL Celtic/Druidic magick and religious practices to begin with any discussion of what role sex played in these would lead quite quickly into supposition.

Gobae - The Blacksmith
Ancient Celtic Clans
Gwalchmai
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 12:31:45 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permissable.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 01, 2007, 09:20:53 am »

the Celts didn't really view sex as any more important than any other aspect of daily life.

also, because there would be large groups living together in one hut together then if they wanted to have sex they would generally just get down to it, regardless of who was there.

Visit My Quick Tarot Guide Today
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: December 01, 2007, 02:13:07 pm »

the Celts didn't really view sex as any more important than any other aspect of daily life.

also, because there would be large groups living together in one hut together then if they wanted to have sex they would generally just get down to it, regardless of who was there.

er - do you have a source for that?  I've never heard that before.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: December 01, 2007, 06:10:53 pm »

I don't know about the Celts, but this was apparently common in most peasant huts during the middle ages from what I remember reading. In you all live and sleep in what amounts to one room, there isn't much choice about it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Gwalchmai
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2008, 12:31:45 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permissable.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 08, 2007, 09:13:24 am »

I'm sorry, I don't. I can't even remember which book I first read it in.

Visit My Quick Tarot Guide Today

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.