The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 08, 2021, 07:54:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 08, 2021, 07:54:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Candle Colors and Meanings  (Read 14437 times)
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 24, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

Including me.  I don't consider whatever magic I do to be in a context of religion at all, actually.
So candles are tools of a completely different trade, unless I am offering them, not as spells, but as votives to deities.

That's pretty much where my trad and I are, as well. (I say that a lot, don't I? :need a new shtick:)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: November 24, 2007, 09:11:03 pm »

Including me.  I don't consider whatever magic I do to be in a context of religion at all, actually.
So candles are tools of a completely different trade, unless I am offering them, not as spells, but as votives to deities.

If ya want the truth of it, I don't either.

In fact, I'm more likely to reach for one of my ever-present cigarettes instead of a candle when I need to do a working that somebody else might use a candle for.  Wink

Damn, and now I need to find my notebook and pen so I can do a write-up about just exactly that before I get clonked by My Lady, too.  Roll Eyes

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 24, 2007, 10:59:04 pm »

So, you sort of enthusiastically walk in here and assume we all need our dose of 'learning' about candle magic, without even asking if anyone wants it? 

Well, it *is* a 101 forum...

I think it would have been better had there been an intro of some sort to the article, explaining the purpose behind posting it. I mean, it seemed to me as if the OP was trying to be helpful.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:02:21 pm by Mithril » Logged

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 24, 2007, 11:11:09 pm »

It is a 101 forum, granted, however, the tone is very much "This is how it is done class" and that's not very useful. The 101 board is more of a way to inquire about a certain concept, going no further then a beginng level, but not a place to lecture. However, if the OP had prefaced it with something like "This is how I see Candle Magic" then sure open the floor to discussion. Also, the OP would need to be clear that this is either A) Not his thoughts, but permission was granted or B) That it was his own thoughts.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 24, 2007, 11:47:15 pm »

If this works for you, wonderful, but to me, this kind of fussiness about candle use is a waste of energy.

I don't personally do candle magic. My candles are used as a sort of offering, and to "set the scene" for ritual. I use white because it doesn't conflict with anything. White and unscented. Cheap (a buck a piece, long burning), safe, white pillar candles.

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 24, 2007, 11:50:02 pm »

I don't personally do candle magic. My candles are used as a sort of offering, and to "set the scene" for ritual.

Same here. There is something about a flickering flame that really makes me unwind.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #21: November 24, 2007, 11:52:23 pm »

Same here. There is something about a flickering flame that really makes me unwind.

yes there is Smiley

Somehow, a ritual without at least one candle seems "incomplete" to me. Unless it's an outdoor ritual or such and candles aren't convenient/practical.

Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 25, 2007, 02:11:21 am »

I think it would have been better had there been an intro of some sort to the article, explaining the purpose behind posting it. I mean, it seemed to me as if the OP was trying to be helpful.

Sorry, my mistake..mostly this poster has been putting up little lectures everywhere.  And that seems a bit inappropriate even in a 101 folder.  Since I read by "new posts" when I read at all...I don't necessarily note which folder it is in.  But, it is a bit preachy and seems unoriginal and book copied to me.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: November 25, 2007, 05:34:18 am »

well im glad you like it!...and remember, take what you need and leave the rest, and if you need any more advice, please write back!

Did you intend this reply to be directed to me?  If so, I can only imagine that you didn't actually read what I wrote in the post you replied to.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #24: November 25, 2007, 05:36:22 am »

Mmh, since this was the first post I saw from you, I thought it not a bad thing to share some information (one can take it or leave it).

But I'm afraid I have to agree with some of the others now. It is a little strange that you post just your articles since this here is a debate/discussion board.

I'd suggest you might use the blog you can find in your profile to post your articles.
So everybody interessted in can read them there, because I don't have the feeling you put them up for discussion.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #25: November 25, 2007, 09:57:57 am »

Mmh, since this was the first post I saw from you, I thought it not a bad thing to share some information (one can take it or leave it).

That's exactly how I see it.

But I'm afraid I have to agree with some of the others now. It is a little strange that you post just your articles since this here is a debate/discussion board.

I don't find it strange at all. However when something is posted on a debate/discussion board I *assume* it's up for debate/discussion, no matter what it looks like the poster intended. Wink

I also post my essays on forums such as this one specifically FOR debate and discussion.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #26: November 25, 2007, 10:13:43 am »

I don't find it strange at all. However when something is posted on a debate/discussion board I *assume* it's up for debate/discussion, no matter what it looks like the poster intended. Wink

Well, right you are  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: November 25, 2007, 10:56:08 am »

Mithril,

In actuality, it's not going to matter where he posts this sort of thing in this forum. Regardless of the 101 status of this folder, this forum's members have never done well with someone coming in and trying to wow them with their knowledge on their first post (or, in this case, series of posts). The other real problem I'm seeing is it's very obvious Frank isn't reading what people have posted to him. Saying "Glad you liked it." to someone who had problems with the post isn't at all helpful and is really the antithesis of what this forum is about...discussion.

In short, if Frank wants to discuss, that's fine. If Frank wants to lecture, he's not going to find a welcoming audience for his posts. This sort of thing happens periodically, and it never, ever goes well. The poster invariably doesn't find the welcoming and adoring audience he thought he would find and is taken up short by the reponses and questions that come his way.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: November 25, 2007, 12:13:29 pm »

That's exactly how I see it.

I also post my essays on forums such as this one specifically FOR debate and discussion.

Yes, but then, you do it where you are known and you post in order for your articles to be critiqued and discussed.  You READ the replies instead of going "Glad you liked it!" in sunshine enema-tones when the readers obviously were going "Errm, this is a bit screwy here..."

I don't know if Nevar just wants an instant ego pat or what, but the articles strike me as neither interesting or original.  And his ignoring of questions...well, yeah, it makes me feel all pointy bootish.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #29: November 25, 2007, 01:08:06 pm »

I don't know if Nevar just wants an instant ego pat or what, but the articles strike me as neither interesting or original.  And his ignoring of questions...well, yeah, it makes me feel all pointy bootish.

One of my pet peeves is ignoring questions. I can see doing it by accident, when you stop following a thread after it's been there for an age, but right off the bat is kind of...odd to say the least. Especially when you reply to the thread but ignore the questions.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)