The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 09:41:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 09:41:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Animal Guides  (Read 2694 times)
nevar07
Permanently Banned
Apprentice
Last Login:November 28, 2007, 11:24:45 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 24, 2007, 03:07:23 pm »

Amimal guides or Totems are and are not a part of the Wiccan or Witchcraft Traditions. I am not trying to be confusing here, some Witches work with them and some don't. Personally I feel that those who do not are truly missing out on a wonderful experience and not meeting their full potential. Most commonly they are deeply ingrained in the history of Native Americans, Shamans and other tribal organizations and traditions, but developing a close relationship with such energy is also of benefit to the Witch.

Remember the old adages: clever as a fox, strong as an ox, etc.? Perhaps you need camouflage -- then ask Brother Fox for assistance. If you seek wisdom, ask the Eagle. The Lynx knows the art of keeping secrets and the Swan guides one into dream time. The Panther is a good protective animal, though she does have a sarcastic, laid back nature.

Power animals can guide and protect you in the spirit world and in your dreams. They can also assist you in the waking state as well. Perhaps you are trying to learn something and are having difficulty understanding. Ask wolf for assistance; she is the great teacher.

Animal guides are not limited to mammals. The birds, reptiles, amphibians, insects and mythological beasts can be just as helpful.

Children can be taught to work with animal guides and can have a great deal of success with them.

The act of honoring an animal is not an act of worship. It is the acknowledgment of their power and their being as brothers and sisters of the entire universe. It is a sign of our gratitude for their help. The energy of the animals, birds and other creatures that assist us should be honored. For too long, we have subjugated these creatures who are our equals in the system of the Universe. Native Americans often leave tobacco scattered on the ground as a gift. You could also burn incense in honor of the animal. When honoring animal wisdom and energy, always leave a gift of some sort. Remember to say "Thank you." For all the help they give us they deserve our gratitude

Blessed Be
Frank

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #1: November 24, 2007, 04:27:03 pm »

Amimal guides or Totems are and are not a part of the Wiccan or Witchcraft Traditions. I am not trying to be confusing here, some Witches work with them and some don't. Personally I feel that those who do not are truly missing out on a wonderful experience and not meeting their full potential. Most commonly they are deeply ingrained in the history of Native Americans, Shamans and other tribal organizations and traditions, but developing a close relationship with such energy is also of benefit to the Witch.

Remember the old adages: clever as a fox, strong as an ox, etc.? Perhaps you need camouflage -- then ask Brother Fox for assistance. If you seek wisdom, ask the Eagle. The Lynx knows the art of keeping secrets and the Swan guides one into dream time. The Panther is a good protective animal, though she does have a sarcastic, laid back nature.

Power animals can guide and protect you in the spirit world and in your dreams. They can also assist you in the waking state as well. Perhaps you are trying to learn something and are having difficulty understanding. Ask wolf for assistance; she is the great teacher.

Animal guides are not limited to mammals. The birds, reptiles, amphibians, insects and mythological beasts can be just as helpful.

Children can be taught to work with animal guides and can have a great deal of success with them.

The act of honoring an animal is not an act of worship. It is the acknowledgment of their power and their being as brothers and sisters of the entire universe. It is a sign of our gratitude for their help. The energy of the animals, birds and other creatures that assist us should be honored. For too long, we have subjugated these creatures who are our equals in the system of the Universe. Native Americans often leave tobacco scattered on the ground as a gift. You could also burn incense in honor of the animal. When honoring animal wisdom and energy, always leave a gift of some sort. Remember to say "Thank you." For all the help they give us they deserve our gratitude

Blessed Be
Frank

A thread where this has been well discussed;
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=1178.0

and a personal opinion...

Animals are a great way to observe and connect to the world around us, but horoscope stylized approaches are a bit saccharine.   

Meaning most people claiming to be "bear totem" are usually doing so based upon an assessment of self; I feel I have these qualities, and projecting them onto a set of associations that they have for a given animal, declaring that animal to be their symbolic partner.

Which in my opinion is why we have so many ravens, wolves and wildcats of various stripes, but not so many wombats, fleas or earthworms.  We gravitate towards animals who's linkages with positive human traits are easily noted, and whom when we share this with others wont leave them scratching their head as to why in the world you would want to be like a flea.

The overuse of words like 'loyalty' 'independence' 'heightened perception' 'wisdom' in most of the "totem" descriptions are kind of a give away to the psychological ploy. 

Not to say that this isn't a useful or workable practice, after all, through emulation of an archetype we can reinforce many ideals that we would like to see strengthened in our day to day realities.  Does it point out anything significant outside of ourselves?  Does it give a real connection and understanding of the physical animal whom you are claiming a connection to?  In my opinion; not really.

If you are interested in doing animal guide work, I would start out by asking what animals you see on a day to day basis.  What are the lessons that they teach through their natural behaviors about survival, and how incorporating those lessons into your life can bring about a better world view and deeper understanding of your connections to your world.  Study them.  Not glossing through as if flipping the pages of a magazine, but really sit down and study them.    What do they eat, how do they travel.  How do they interact with, and are affected by humans.

Even plants in this sense can be great teachers.  A Yucca demonstrates many of the qualities that are necessary for surviving the American South West.  My association for them would be something along the lines of deep rooted, drought resistant, prickly on the outside, reedy on the inside.  can be used in making rope, string, clothing.  Versatile and tough.  Once established, takes much effort to get rid of.

It's not enough to look up deer on the internet, like you would "Gemini" or "Sagittarius" sit down and think on it for a few minutes and decide to augment your identity by claiming a likeness based upon someone else's description of what a 'Deer person' is - which often doesn't even begin to examine what a deer is before deciding how a person who applies deer qualities to a situation should act.

Only after studying many animals and how they interact with each other and their habitats would I start to work with any one exclusively or claim a connection that is more than a casual association.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: November 25, 2007, 11:52:54 am »

Amimal guides or Totems are and are not a part of the Wiccan or Witchcraft Traditions. I am not trying to be confusing here, some Witches work with them and some don't.

Let me correct you here.  Animal guides and Totems of any sort are NOT part of Wiccan tradition.  The fact that some Wiccans and witches do use them does not change the fact that it is not part of the tradition.  Automobiles aren't part of the Tradition either, but most of us use them.

Is there any point to these posts of yours?  You clearly aren't interested in or capable of actually discussing what you post:  most of your responses seem to indicate that you really don't understand the posts and cannot discuss them in your own words.

So, really, why are you here, again?  This is, above all, a discussion forum.

--------------
Bless├ęd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Nimbus91
Apprentice
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 03:07:39 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan with Heavy Hellenic Leanings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 19, 2010, 08:16:23 pm »

Let me correct you here.  Animal guides and Totems of any sort are NOT part of Wiccan tradition.  The fact that some Wiccans and witches do use them does not change the fact that it is not part of the tradition.  Automobiles aren't part of the Tradition either, but most of us use them.

Is there any point to these posts of yours?  You clearly aren't interested in or capable of actually discussing what you post:  most of your responses seem to indicate that you really don't understand the posts and cannot discuss them in your own words.

So, really, why are you here, again?  This is, above all, a discussion forum.

I can kindly say that you seem a bit hostile towards what is an innocent post. It is after all just a post. At any rate, I have an animal totem, it is the moth. Whether or not it is a traditional part of Wicca doesn't affect my feeling of it. I am glad to have a spirit animal, and I believe Wicca is after all a nature based religion and spirit animals are indeed animals which are a part of nature. As such totem animals can easily be used in Wicca and still fit the religion.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 19, 2010, 09:33:06 pm »

I can kindly say that you seem a bit hostile towards what is an innocent post. It is after all just a post.

True, but incorrect information is incorrect information. Animal guides aren't part of traditional Wicca.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)