The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 03:53:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 03:53:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Homosexuality: Right or Wrong?  (Read 21819 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: November 26, 2007, 09:07:06 pm »

Just wondering but does that mean that I cannot practice the Craft and be a bisexual?

There are no laws that say you 'cannot'...personally I think such limitations would be frowned upon in Neo-Wicca ( I persume it is this that you are studying, as opposed to Traditional British Wicca). On another note, being bisexual you may even find it easier to grasp the whole concept of gender polarity that is part of Wicca. I like this part of Wicca, myself, and if it makes any difference- I am bisexual.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: November 26, 2007, 10:44:50 pm »

Just wondering but does that mean that I cannot practice the Craft and be a bisexual?

That depends on YOU and whatever tradition of Wicca you want to practice with. I certainly see no problems with it (but I'm not Wiccan of any sort, so my opinion doesn't count.  Wink )

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #32: November 26, 2007, 11:07:00 pm »

As I said in my first response: I know of people in Wiccan traditions who are gay, lesbian, bi, transgender, etc. It's a decision that's generally a matter of fit between the person, the tradition, and the particular group they want to work and study with. (I have come across a few groups that won't take people based on their orientation, but they're quite rare these days.)

Let's see if I can come up with a better example.

Say that you want to join a club of people who enjoy cooking together for fun. You can be of any sexual or gender orientation and enjoy cooking. You can be of any sexual orientation, and *not* like cooking. But if you don't like cooking, you are probably better off not joining a group where that's a major focus of the activities: you will likely end up frustrated, and they will too. That's no good for anyone.

Same deal with *any* religious path: if the general approach to a core part of the ritual structure isn't something that speaks to you on a level that you're willing to spend a bunch of time with, it's really worth looking and seeing if something else might not be a better place for you to be.

Again, in the Wiccan case: are you comfortable with the fact that more traditional forms of Wicca focus on a religious and magical act that is about polarity on multiple levels, and which is typically expressed through male/female polarity? Is that something that you are going to be able to work with in a ritual context for the next however many months or years you follow this path?

It doesn't have to be The Driving Thing that attracts you to the path. It isn't for a lot of people, at least starting out. But you need to be able to at least work with the ritual expression of it - generally in most groups these days, a knife into a cup, with appropriate energy work to go with it. In other words, do you like cooking enough to hang out with a bunch of other people who want to spend their spare time doing it, and who want to *focus* on that cooking and talking about why one thing works, or whether this thing might get a different effect, or how you might adapt to this situation there...

I think I may go snag a side part of this discussion off elsewhere, though, on some of my past experiences with the Great Rite in symbol.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: November 26, 2007, 11:20:13 pm »

No, that's not what it means at all.  You can be bisexual and still be Wiccan ("practice The Craft")

Just a thought though, it seems like you have some issues with being bisexual.  You may want to talk to someone about that.  No offense intended, it's just what I am seeing.

Blessings and Luck to you on your spiritual path...

*Síocháin*
Letheus
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 10:16:36 am

Religion: Seeker while leaning more towards Wicca:)

He did WHAT with the Sage?0.o

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: November 27, 2007, 06:14:51 am »

No, that's not what it means at all.  You can be bisexual and still be Wiccan ("practice The Craft")

Just a thought though, it seems like you have some issues with being bisexual.  You may want to talk to someone about that.  No offense intended, it's just what I am seeing.

Blessings and Luck to you on your spiritual path...

Its not so much that I have a problem with it but that Im afraid that I cant be open about it in front of my Wiccan friends like i wasnt able to with my Christian friends....Also to everybody else thank you for your sound advice....especially about the cooking example....and yes I do think I want to pursue Wiccan but as said before by some Iwant to see what I am getting into....I didnt have that choice in Christianity...I was pretty much force fed that.

~~Ethan~~

As long as you do what feels right, you can do no wrong.

Do what thou wilt but harm none!
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: November 27, 2007, 09:10:43 am »

Its not so much that I have a problem with it but that Im afraid that I cant be open about it in front of my Wiccan friends like i wasnt able to with my Christian friends....Also to everybody else thank you for your sound advice....especially about the cooking example....and yes I do think I want to pursue Wiccan but as said before by some Iwant to see what I am getting into....I didnt have that choice in Christianity...I was pretty much force fed that.

~~Ethan~~

You can be open with it to whomever.  You just have to know who will accept you and who won't.  This is with everyone, not just Wiccans or Christians.  Just make sure you aren't getting into Wicca because they are more accepting of bisexuality.  Grin

*Síocháin*
Letheus
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: November 27, 2007, 10:11:06 am »

You can be open with it to whomever.  You just have to know who will accept you and who won't.  This is with everyone, not just Wiccans or Christians.  Just make sure you aren't getting into Wicca because they are more accepting of bisexuality.  Grin

No ma'am Im actually getting into to Wicca because I find it fascinating and full of new things ive never tried before....plus I agree with a lot of the teachings Cheesy

Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: November 27, 2007, 11:26:20 pm »

No ma'am Im actually getting into to Wicca because I find it fascinating and full of new things ive never tried before....plus I agree with a lot of the teachings Cheesy

Good! I am really happy that you found something that works for you  Grin

It is fascinating and full of wonder...each and every magickal step you take is bound to be amazing.

*Síocháin*
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: November 28, 2007, 12:26:31 am »

Its not so much that I have a problem with it but that Im afraid that I cant be open about it in front of my Wiccan friends like i wasnt able to with my Christian friends.
It's possible that you can't be open about it with your particular Wiccan friends, but if that's the case, it's because they have issues, not because Wicca does.  By and large, though, you'll find that Wiccans and other sorts of Pagans won't make a big deal of it.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Letheus
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: November 28, 2007, 02:20:11 pm »

It's possible that you can't be open about it with your particular Wiccan friends, but if that's the case, it's because they have issues, not because Wicca does.  By and large, though, you'll find that Wiccans and other sorts of Pagans won't make a big deal of it.

Sunflower

Merry Meet all!

Thank you to everyone who sent out replies to my post and question! It was very eye opening to hear all of what everyones opinions are! Happ Winter Solstice and may everyone find what they are looking for in the new holiday!

~~Ethan(Letheus)~~

saxnot
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 11:09:07 am

Religion: Pagan.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: January 05, 2008, 05:51:52 pm »

I'd say that people of different sexual orientations are almost-exlcusively welcomed with open arms into Paganism. And a damn good thing, too.

Baba Nam Kevalam.
SpeakWithTruth
Last Login:April 21, 2008, 02:11:40 am

Religion: Undecided/Native American/Celtic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: April 16, 2008, 05:31:57 am »

Hey Im new to this board and an ex-christian.....I am abisexual male and I was curious as to whether Pagans think homosexulity is wrong like Christians do.....I have only been studying Paganism seriously for about 2 months now.....My first circle was on Samhain...so id like to know as much as i cn about Paganism....Im afraid to tell some of my new Pagan friends (Including my teacher whom is a Pagan High Priest) that I am bisexual for fear of not being accepted in the Pagan Community....So is it right or wrong? Please answer me this Smiley\

~~Ethan~~

(I realize this may be a bit off topic, and if I'm too off topic I apologize.)  I am lesbian/bisexual and one of the reasons I am drawn to Pagan religions (as opposed to Catholicism that I grew up with) is how accepting they seem of differences in general, for me especially sexuality and gender.  This may or may not be the official stance of your religion, but it is certainly the reaction of nearly everyone I've talked to about the subject. Smiley

~*SWT*~
SpeakWithTruth
Last Login:April 21, 2008, 02:11:40 am

Religion: Undecided/Native American/Celtic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: April 17, 2008, 09:35:04 am »

I just wanted to specify that looking for a more accepting attitude was a reason that I started looking at Pagan religions, not the reason that I believe what I believe now. It did lead me to find a lot of information on other religions, Pagan and otherwise.

~*SWT*~
Hannah
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2012, 03:43:34 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan (learning)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: May 29, 2008, 07:44:50 pm »

Hey Im new to this board and an ex-christian.....I am abisexual male and I was curious as to whether Pagans think homosexulity is wrong like Christians do.....I have only been studying Paganism seriously for about 2 months now.....My first circle was on Samhain...so id like to know as much as i cn about Paganism....Im afraid to tell some of my new Pagan friends (Including my teacher whom is a Pagan High Priest) that I am bisexual for fear of not being accepted in the Pagan Community....So is it right or wrong? Please answer me this Smiley\

~~Ethan~~

I'd be inclined to say it's a definite yes;; I am a bisexual female and I find that Wicca (which is my first faith, actually) or the Pagan community in general is quite accepting of homosexuality. A lot of Pagan polytheists recognize Greek gods... and in Greek and Roman mythology (among other kinds of mythology) homosexuality is accepted as just another part of life.

Like one, that on a lonely road     
     Doth walk in fear and dread,    
And having once turn'd round, walks on    
     And turns no more his head:    
Because he knows, a frightful fiend    
     Doth close behind him tread.

-"Rime of the Ancient Mariner," Samuel Taylor Coleridge
SamB
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 18, 2008, 02:42:18 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: June 05, 2008, 04:46:12 am »

To be perfectly honest I think it's down to the person.
OK in Christianity it's written down in a book, as far as I am aware I have not come across anything like that on my travels.
I'm a lesbian myself and had no problems whatsoever, yet!

You find with many religions/beliefs a very few people will frown upon homosexuality and that is mainly down to the person and of course they make people follow suit.

There are alot of homophobics in this world and use religion/beliefs to get their point across.

Just ignore anyone who does, they are narrowminded and ignorant.

You are what you are and don't let anyone change you!!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)