The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 02:40:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 02:40:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: What are your views on infant circumcision?
For it, for religious reasons
For it, for hygenic reasons
For it, for other reasons
Undecided/ need more info on the subject
Against it, for religious reasons
Against it, for other reasons
Just Hell No!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Views on Circumcision  (Read 26798 times)
Iago_Morgan
Journeyman
Last Login:October 12, 2010, 12:03:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christo-pagan-with added Wiccan flavoring

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: November 27, 2007, 02:03:51 pm »

I already have my opinions pretty firmly set on this matter (I tend to soap-box with this one). But I'm trying to guage the views mainly of the Pagan community as well as anyone else here who feels like voting.

Thanks for taking the time to vote/ comment!

Circle in the night
In the dark I cloak myself in Light.
Surrounded by this Power, Magick's might
I see the ancient Fire burning bright.
Circle in the night.

-From 'Circle in the Night' by Iago Morgan

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: November 27, 2007, 02:09:54 pm »

I already have my opinions pretty firmly set on this matter (I tend to soap-box with this one). But I'm trying to guage the views mainly of the Pagan community as well as anyone else here who feels like voting.

There ARE some medical reasons to circumcise, and if I lived in a country with poorer health care, I'd think differently on the subject.

But here?  I don't see a strong reason to, and I didn't want to deal with wound care and the like.  So I didn't.  But if for some reason it became medically necessary, I'd change my opinion on it.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: November 27, 2007, 02:15:51 pm »

None of the above.  I have no opinion on the subject.  I don't consider myself "undecided" or in need of more information; it's just a non-issue to me.  If my next child is a boy I suppose Hubby and I will have to figure out what we want to do (or not do), but until then...  *shrug*  Neither for nor against.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: November 27, 2007, 03:00:41 pm »

There ARE some medical reasons to circumcise, and if I lived in a country with poorer health care, I'd think differently on the subject.
Pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well.

Of course, I'm female and have no children so I'm not sure I actually merit an opinion...  Still, I feel pretty strongly about needless medical procedures performed on people who have no say in the matter.  (I get disgusted when I see babies with pierced ears, too.)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 27, 2007, 03:41:18 pm »

We chose to circumcise.  Neither of us really bought into the recent trends that all but equate circumcision with being the source of primal scream style traumas and emotional issues regarding sex and gender that have become favored by the 'all things natural' movements that tend to try to paint the loss of foreskin as a loss of identity and 'rightness' in a child.  Then again, the same movements can get as extreme as touting Ferber is the equivalent of Satan, and breastfeeding dictating that a child that wont objectify women. 

Perhaps a case of men self defining based upon the appearance of their genitalia is more the issue.  Whether you have a great work ethic, high IQ, and read before 6mo all revolves around the size, shape and varying proportions of the ever important package.

I think it has more to do with dad's feelings regarding his own masculinity, tying the negative psychological baggage of coming to adulthood/manhood to the act of circumcision.  Oedipal even. 

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 27, 2007, 03:45:38 pm »

I feel pretty strongly about needless medical procedures performed on people who have no say in the matter.  (I get disgusted when I see babies with pierced ears, too.)

That's the only reason why I would have a problem with it. Beyond that, I could care less. I don't see a reason for it, but I understand if some people do (religious or otherwise).

But I do not like to see procedures that are not medically  necessary performed on individuals who have no say in the matter.

Ashtarot
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 21, 2010, 11:33:13 pm

Religion: still finding my way

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 27, 2007, 03:50:29 pm »

It is too late to change my mind now. Twelve years ago when I had my son We decided to have it done.
I don't know if I would get it done today or not.

There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.
Douglas Adams
Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman
Last Login:March 26, 2008, 11:16:10 am

Religion: Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 27, 2007, 04:02:43 pm »

That's the only reason why I would have a problem with it. Beyond that, I could care less. I don't see a reason for it, but I understand if some people do (religious or otherwise).

But I do not like to see procedures that are not medically  necessary performed on individuals who have no say in the matter.

My son was circumcised.  It was 20 years ago and I don't remember them asking me.  They must have asked my husband.  I just accepted it as fact at the time. 

I did just now ask my son if it bothered him that we had him circumcised and he said he is glad we did (at least I don't feel guilty).   Wink
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: November 27, 2007, 04:05:38 pm »

We did it cause dad was, better now that later.  I personally know 4 little boys, whose parents I know well enough to talk about it, who had to be snipped when older.  Most of the little boys I know, I don't know whether or not they were snipped in infancy.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
ErickaJo
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 27, 2008, 05:11:22 pm

Religion: mishmoshmillymosh

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 27, 2007, 04:07:51 pm »

If Chris and I have boys, we won't be circumsizing them.  He isn't circumsized, for one, and my personal experience with men cut and uncut, well, I'll be blunt: the uncut men just seem to be happier with the whole thing (har har).  If our child would like to get cut later in life, that's his choice, and I'll support it.

Echoing Shad, medical problems bring up different circumstances and may change my stance.

ErickaJo
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 27, 2007, 04:20:07 pm »

I would say that I agree with male circumcision in infants for medical/hygenic reasons. Yet due to a story I was told by one of my closest friends a few years ago I am for male circumcision for another reason, too. Let's just say in some males there is a possiblity that when having sex...something not nice can happen to the foreskin and there is a lot of blood. Oh gosh I can't say anymore than that. My poor, poor friend.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 27, 2007, 04:22:18 pm »

I would say that I agree with male circumcision in infants for medical/hygenic reasons. Yet due to a story I was told by one of my closest friends a few years ago I am for male circumcision for another reason, too. Let's just say in some males there is a possiblity that when having sex...something not nice can happen to the foreskin and there is a lot of blood. Oh gosh I can't say anymore than that. My poor, poor friend.

OWWWW

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
ErickaJo
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 27, 2008, 05:11:22 pm

Religion: mishmoshmillymosh

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 27, 2007, 04:29:11 pm »

My first husband was the result of a botched circumcision.  His nerve endings never came back.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't, it would seem Smiley

ErickaJo
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 27, 2007, 04:31:37 pm »

My first husband was the result of a botched circumcision.  His nerve endings never came back.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't, it would seem Smiley

Oh gosh. Yeah, it would seem that way wouldn't it.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 27, 2007, 04:47:04 pm »

You may also want to compare reactions between the US where most males are circumsised vs europe where they are not. Being different has it's disadvantages.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)