The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2019, 09:47:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 09:47:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: What are your views on infant circumcision?
For it, for religious reasons
For it, for hygenic reasons
For it, for other reasons
Undecided/ need more info on the subject
Against it, for religious reasons
Against it, for other reasons
Just Hell No!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Views on Circumcision  (Read 20871 times)
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: November 27, 2007, 04:55:21 pm »

Thanks for taking the time to vote/ comment!

I voted for, but without any real conviction on the answer. I am, and we had our son done when he was born. That was over 14 years ago, it was pretty much automatic IIRC. I'm 43 and I don't know if it's age or maybe it's geographical or something, but when was born I think it was the norm to be circumcised. Growing up and being in the locker room or later in the Navy, I think I was almost shocked the first time I saw someone that wasn't.

*shrugs*

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 27, 2007, 05:15:06 pm »

You may also want to compare reactions between the US where most males are circumsised vs europe where they are not. Being different has it's disadvantages.

Where makes such a difference - says the now canadian brit Wink
I was asked never even asked when my other son was born - this time round I was asked and I said no. The difference an ocean makes I guess.

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 27, 2007, 05:34:30 pm »

I already have my opinions pretty firmly set on this matter (I tend to soap-box with this one). But I'm trying to guage the views mainly of the Pagan community as well as anyone else here who feels like voting.

I made the very informed decision not to have my son clipped.  I looked at the data, and there just doesn't seem to be a compelling enough reason to have it done.  I've never actually met anyone who's had a problem being uncirced (my husband isn't, nor were several men I've...<cough>..."known" in the past).  My kid's never had so much as a bladder infection, and (being a teenager) despite his less-than-impecable hygene.  Wink

Brina
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 27, 2007, 08:59:11 pm »

I am overall against it, mainly because it's just the norm here in the U.S.... and that's reversed in Europe. I don't like things being done just to fit in. lol. It's the normal state of the penis to have a foreskin, and that's good enough reason to *not* have it done for me!

Also, guys that are uncircumcised have greater feeling because the head hasn't been desensitized over the years. lol. The only guy I've been with is uncircumcised, and this is probably too much information, but it's a major issue for him to pull the skin back. He's probably one of those that the tendon or whatever would snap if it was forced suddenly and blood... and stuff. *shudder*

Anywho... I know he would have preferred to have been cut when he was an infant for the reason he *wouldn't* remember it... he would do it now except for the pain involved in a surgical procedure of that type, and also I'm sure there's some psychological stuff... like having the skin of your stomach taken off and having to live with looking at your guts all the time. lol.

So the possibility of a complication like the above might be a reason to have it done as an infant. I however still think that it's the natural state for it to be in, and just to leave it alone.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 27, 2007, 09:20:36 pm »

You may also want to compare reactions between the US where most males are circumsised vs europe where they are not. Being different has it's disadvantages.

From my own experience, guys in the UK think to be circumcised is weird: and if you are, they presume that you are Jewish. Yet in the US I would say that a lot of guys would think that not being circumcised is weird. My husband is American and he is a prime example. He was actually worried that I wouldn't like the fact that he was, because I'm British and it's not the social norm here. Therefore I guess society can play a huge part in it.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 17, 2019, 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: November 27, 2007, 11:08:14 pm »

I already have my opinions pretty firmly set on this matter (I tend to soap-box with this one). But I'm trying to guage the views mainly of the Pagan community as well as anyone else here who feels like voting.

Other -- I don't think it matters one way or another (at least not in first and most second world countries).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jixijenga
Apprentice
Last Login:October 05, 2008, 06:42:43 am

Religion: Asatru

A little short for a stormtrooper.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 21, 2008, 12:24:18 am »

Perhaps a case of men self defining based upon the appearance of their genitalia is more the issue.  Whether you have a great work ethic, high IQ, and read before 6mo all revolves around the size, shape and varying proportions of the ever important package.

I can personally say, having had the procedure done to me, as an adult I wish it wasn't so. The next part of my post will get graphic, but just so everyone can get a good idea of what it's like, I'll share with you.

Graphic stuffs:

Initially I didn't know why I had this strange start/stop feeling on the bottom length of my manhood, right at the head of it. After having foot surgery done, I instantly connected the dots during some.. personal time I had. Basically, it's as if somebody is running their finger along your skin, and then suddenly they're an inch farther away without stopping. It's like the finger met a teleport and suddenly boom, somewhere else. It's like that with me. It improves my endurance during coitus but to be honest with you sex is boring. A: I haven't been with too many women who've done more than pretended to be a corpse for my non-existent necrophilia fetish and B: I can't really feel all what I know I should be feeling. I've had my little Johnson slammed in a door, zipped up in my fly twice and one of which removed a chunk of skin and finally it was mauled by a vicious quail when I accidentally took a leak on her in the woods. Honestly those experiences weren't too painful and I know they should be.

So knowing what a surgical procedure does to the sense of touch really helped me understand what I would be experiencing and how much I'm missing.

/NSFW

Anyways, if anyone stumbles across this subject like I did, I hope my little personal testimony can shed some light on the issue to people who might not understand entirely.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: January 21, 2008, 05:56:35 pm »

To echo what others have said, I don't like it when a non-essential medical procedure is done on someone who has no say in the matter.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 15, 2008, 07:02:47 pm »

Neither of my sons were circumcised.  Basically I read up on it when I was pregnant with my first son.   I had a really strong feeling against it. 

When he was born, one of the nurses there asked if I was going to have it done.  I said no, I didnt feel it was a necessary thing, and she said good, because some little boys need it done for medical reasons, but my son didnt.  He actually a few years later after that, had a doctor examine him when he went in the hospital for medical testing, and he started to put down circumcised, and I said, no, uncircumcised.  He said well it is a good thing I didnt pay for it to be done, because he sure didnt need it.  So while I put no, against it for other reasons, I would say in general that is true, however if there is a medical reason I would do it.

I have known of instances where they should have been for medical reasons, but all things being equal, I would say no. 

Now, knowing what I do about our genetic disorder, it was probably a good thing I didnt, as stress tends to cause deterioration, and my son is already retarded.  And I would think that circumcision would be stressful.  Not to mention, locally they dont even medicate the poor kid before removing the foreskin, at least at the time of my son's birth.  I would think that would HAVE to be painful!

I might add that my first husband thought I was a little odd, but quickly agreed with me when he heard it would cost him money to have it done.  Roll Eyes

My second husband agreed with me to not have it done.   Both times the grandparents on the father's side thought it was an odd decision.  My side could care less. 

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 18, 2008, 08:42:36 pm »

I'm against it, but I certainly won't object if it has to be done for medical reasons, or if the area you live in isn't known to have a good supply of water for bathing and so leading to hygiene issues.  My own brother is uncut (I found this out when we had company for dinner one night) and as far as I know, he's never had problems. Heck the family doc at the time said "Leave him alone. Let him make some girl happy." I guess that was taken as a ringing declaration of professional approval.

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: February 18, 2008, 09:09:33 pm »

My own brother is uncut (I found this out when we had company for dinner one night)
I...need you to flesh out (HA!) this story a bit.  And by "need" I mean the thing well beyond "want".  Wink

Brina
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 15, 2019, 07:59:18 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: February 19, 2008, 12:13:51 am »

I...need you to flesh out (HA!) this story a bit.  And by "need" I mean the thing well beyond "want".  Wink
Yes.  It seemed to me like a very odd time for something like that to be disclosed.  So, like Brina, I have an itch of curiosity that, while I don't "need" in the sense of "will die without", if I don't get it scratched it'll drive me bonkers.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: February 19, 2008, 01:10:17 am »

Yes.  It seemed to me like a very odd time for something like that to be disclosed.

You dont even want to know what I imagined.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: February 19, 2008, 06:12:48 pm »

I'm against it, but I certainly won't object if it has to be done for medical reasons, or if the area you live in isn't known to have a good supply of water for bathing and so leading to hygiene issues.  My own brother is uncut (I found this out when we had company for dinner one night) and as far as I know, he's never had problems. Heck the family doc at the time said "Leave him alone. Let him make some girl happy." I guess that was taken as a ringing declaration of professional approval.

Very odd dinner conversation...rather like that episode in 'Meet the Fockers' but the other way around.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #29: February 20, 2008, 01:54:15 pm »

Quote from: Brina
I...need you to flesh out (HA!) this story a bit.  And by "need" I mean the thing well beyond "want".

Quote from: Sunflower
Yes.  It seemed to me like a very odd time for something like that to be disclosed.  So, like Brina, I have an itch of curiosity that, while I don't "need" in the sense of "will die without", if I don't get it scratched it'll drive me bonkers.

Quote from: Everfool
You dont even want to know what I imagined.

Very odd dinner conversation...rather like that episode in 'Meet the Fockers' but the other way around.

Ugh, let me put it this way: There's very little nowadays, esp. with the company we keep and me being a young adult, that is taboo conversation.  I don't even remember how on earth we even got to the topic of circumcision. Anyway, at the time my first thought was "Hmm, didn't know that" promptly followed by, "Yeah......thanks, Mom......even though I really didn't need to know that." 

/pause

I'm not going to live this one down am I?

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)