The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 04, 2020, 06:21:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2020, 06:21:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: What are your views on infant circumcision?
For it, for religious reasons
For it, for hygenic reasons
For it, for other reasons
Undecided/ need more info on the subject
Against it, for religious reasons
Against it, for other reasons
Just Hell No!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Views on Circumcision  (Read 25830 times)
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am
United States United States

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #90: May 02, 2011, 08:20:17 pm »

I already have my opinions pretty firmly set on this matter (I tend to soap-box with this one). But I'm trying to guage the views mainly of the Pagan community as well as anyone else here who feels like voting.

Thanks for taking the time to vote/ comment!

I asked my mom, who is a pediatric nurse, not that long ago about how exactly a circumcision is performed and I was completely horrified.  I have dated several uncircumcised males who have no problem with it.  There is no way I am putting my kid through that unless he truly wanted to. 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Adder
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 07, 2014, 01:04:49 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Goddess

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #91: May 03, 2011, 07:42:02 pm »

I already have my opinions pretty firmly set on this matter (I tend to soap-box with this one). But I'm trying to guage the views mainly of the Pagan community as well as anyone else here who feels like voting.

Thanks for taking the time to vote/ comment!

My opinion is yes, for health and practical reasons. I read recently that a study showed that HPV which causes cervical cancer is spread to more women from uncircumsized men. Given that other studies have shown the foreskin is markedly more susceptible to absorbing various STD's I'm not sure how much of the problem is actually even hygiene related. I do though consider hygiene to be a factor as well, because sand, dirt, moisture can be factors if you find yourself out in the wilderness under any sort of duress and complications in such sitations can be the difference between life and death. I've also heard stories where as adults people have had to have adult circumcision for medical reasons!! So given those issues I find my self wondering 'why not'.

I'd never consider it for an adult unless it was a medical emergency because I'd remember the pain and it sounds like I'd loose signifigant sensation, anything after a year sounds horrific option. I dont agree that the difference experienced by adult circumcision is the same loss experienced by infant circumcision, since the child is at the beginning of its growth process. Yes the foreskin contains nerve cell endings, but do they regrow into the remaining area after infant male circumcision? Contrary to mid-20th century science more recent studies have shown that nerves do grow and regrow so it makes me wonder if infant circumcision doesnt actually lead to a net result of more sensitivity, because if you've reduced the surface area for them to grow into then a possible result is actually higher density. Obviously this is a different story with adult circumcision because the growth phase is over or reduced. I think the best time to do it is as soon as possible after birth, because it is probably the best time for a human to handle trauma as well, after all you've just been pushed out of someones pelvis and I have no memory of that either. I am biased though having been done myself as a child, and am glad I was, though if I had any memory of it then I might change my tune, but I do not.

I also cannot understand why I'd want it anymore sensitive then it already is, so I tend to view male infant circumcision as an improvement, and am left wondering what possible reason is there to keep it! One perspective could be that if you believe we are born in a God/Godess's image then you are destroying some part of that image and therefore some aspect of connectivness, or that the entire body is a representation of your spiritual body and every inch of your being is sacred to fulfill your physical experience. I am yet to find such as solid or detailed connection between the physical body and the spiritual body though, as I do not think size matters but it is concievable shape still might. I tend to view all religions as clues to a true spiritual reality so one question I wonder about is if their is a deeper ritualistic (non-literal) meaning behind male circumcision, because it wasnt only done to infants in Abrahamic religions. So if from the spiritual/religious position I'd find myself unable to form an opinion at the moment.

Just a warlock devoted to the Goddess
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #92: May 03, 2011, 08:14:33 pm »

I asked my mom, who is a pediatric nurse, not that long ago about how exactly a circumcision is performed and I was completely horrified.  I have dated several uncircumcised males who have no problem with it.  There is no way I am putting my kid through that unless he truly wanted to. 

I am going to point out that doing almost any procedure on an infant involves a swaddling board, full body restraint and the absolute minimum anesthesia necessary for the particular procedure.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #93: May 04, 2011, 11:31:58 pm »

I am going to point out that doing almost any procedure on an infant involves a swaddling board, full body restraint and the absolute minimum anesthesia necessary for the particular procedure.

Yes, and this is one reason I would only want to have absolutely necessary procedures done.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)