The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 10:50:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 10:50:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here willing to help with a religion class project?  (Read 8182 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 23, 2007, 03:21:36 pm »

* Introduce yourself: (First name only is fine since this is online)

Howdy I'm Mandi

* How old are you?

29 years

* To what faith/religion do you belong?

Pagan; with a concentration of studies in North and South American Indigenous belief; North American areas include the Matakeeset/ Wampanoag/ Algonquin tribes in the Massachusetts, Cape Cod area, the Plains and Southern Plains Indians, with a focus on the Hopi, and the Curandera tradition and local (Texas)tribes.

* Were you born into this faith/religion or are you a convert? 

Convert is such an ugly word.  It holds all the connotations of bandwagon jumper.  It also implies a structured religion, that comes complete with clergy and a congregation.  Since my faith is a bit less structured than all that I'm not really comfortable with the word convert.  I haven't had to change myself to fit into my faith.  I just had to do some research. 

* If so, at what age did you convert and from what faith did you come?  What prompted this conversion?

At 14 I came out and openly declared myself not Christian.  Not that I could have effectively told you what I was at that point.  The things that I though my religion might be at that point were more reflections of what other people told me I must be since I wasn't Christian. 

I went with generalized pagan, wannabe Wiccan for a good five years, but it never really was a "fit."  It wasn't spiritually what I was looking for. 

In the last three years I've started looking at my family tree and really asking what it is that I do connect to.  I have a connection to family; I have traveled all over America, and no matter where I go and how completely out of sync with the people in the area I am, I have always felt like the land itself, accepts me even if others don't.  So I looked for something with an America wide connection, that ties into my family, and has a less formal approach.

* What God/Goddess do you worship?

I am a dedicant of Tonantzin, her name in nahuatl is Coatlaxopeuh; and her modern dedicants who are Christian call her the Virgin of Guadalupe. 

* What sacred texts does your faith/religion follow?

Tonan in her original form, was an Aztec/Olmec Goddess.  Which makes coming up with a comprehensive structure for worship a tad difficult.  Mas dificil.  I've had to turn to history books,  and person to person stories, as well as the folklore of the regions to really get a feel for things.  The Codex Mendoza, is incredible, in pictographs and I'm still working on it.  It tells the story of the conquering of the Aztec empire.  It was created as a message to Spain, on what the Aztec empire is/was and how to run it.   

* What is your favorite verse(s) from these texts?

No verses or glory for memorized text.  Being a parrot does not make one spiritual.  Teaching tales are used in the Curandera tradition, and I like quite a few of those.  Many Native American tribes have a variation on a "Turtle Mother" creation story, in which at some point the turtle agrees to carry the island that is occupied by mankind on her back.  How mankind ended up on the island, and whether it is in the sea, the clouds, and where the original animals came from like I said varies from tribe to tribe.  The turtle is a pretty consistent character in the story though. So I'll go with that one as a favorite.

* What are the major tenets of your faith/religion?

My ethics do not come from my faith.  Nor do my morals.  Thus I don't try to address the needs of a complex modern society through the out of date words of a simpler time.  Many 'tenets' of faith are the words of man making social laws in areas that a man would not otherwise accept the censure of his fellow man in.  Who you sleep with, what you eat, how you pray and how often. 

The main aspect of my "faith" that which it would not work without is a dedication to my patroness. (Tonantzin)

* What are your Holy days and why are they significant?

I celebrate a primarily pagan wheel of the year, but am moving away from this as time goes on.  Every day is sacred and individual and should be treated as such.  When I want to have a party, I don't really look for a reason.  I just have one.

December 12th is the day the Virgin appeared to Juan Diego, but for reasons I'll mention later I don't whole heartedly jump in on this one.

* Are there any special garmets that you wear for your faith/religion?

Nope

* Do you use and special prayer tools? (Example, as a Catholic, I carry rosary beeds with me everywhere that I go.)

I have a prayer bone that I made, from a deer foreleg bone, with medicine wheel imagery carved into it.  It's bound at the ends with leather, and pierced through the center, where I've threaded it with a thinner strip of leather and beaded it.  It's also seed beaded on the sides.  At one end is a pouch with an offering of cornmeal, at the other is a feather.

This isn't something necessary to prayer, just an icon I've made to represent prayers, and the spirit of my family.

Offerings are also another part of my faith, sometimes beer or wine which I pour into a terra cotta dish, and it is absorbed and evaporates.  Other times I'll make folded paper items that are specific to Tonantzin as offerings which I've burnt in the past, but usually keep on the mantle for a few days before doing so.  I've also got various stones, bones, beads and some mexican paper money up where they can be appreciated.

* What are the major misconceptions that the general public seem to have about your faith/religion?

The biggest misconception I have come across is that Juan Diego (Cuauhtlatoatzin before converting) suddenly out of the blue had the Virgin of Guadalupe appear to him. 

The pronunciation of Coatlaxopeuh ("Qwah-Tlah-Suh-Peh") sounds a bit like the Spanish "Guadalupe" (Gwa-Da-Loo-peh) Juan Diego, at a site sacred to Tonantzin, had the apparition of the Virgin appear to him, and tell him to build a shrine to her at Tepeyac where she would pour out her blessings upon all who came to her. 

My take on the story is that Juan Diego found a very clever way to save his faith.  He disguised his lady as a figure already prominent in Christian faith.  The Virgin of Guadalupe is sort of a Spanish version of Mary.  He found a way to continue to make her available to those who would seek her, even if it was by another name.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 23, 2007, 03:37:17 pm »

Anyway, if anyone would be so kind as to answer the following questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds kinda like you were only looking for one response, but what the heck:

Hi, my name is Susanne, but you can call me Thorn.  Nice to meet you.

* How old are you?
36.  (Dangerous year, that.  Both Lord Byron and Stevie Ray Vaughan died at 36.)

Ecclectic pagan at the moment.  In a bit of flux.

Convert.

* If so, at what age did you convert and from what faith did you come?  What prompted this conversion?
I was born non-practicing Methodist and later attended a Fundamentalist Christian church with my grandmother.  Gave up on Christianity when I was 16 or so.  I never felt right about monotheism, or the idea that there is only One True FaithTM.  Plus I was in a rebellious stage.  Found Wicca when I was 18, but eventually realized that didn't fit either.  Duotheism made less sense to me in the end than monotheism.  Plus, it all seemed too focused on biology and gender.  Did the pagan-tinted agnostic thing for years.  Decided to get serious again about two years ago or so and am still seeking.

Right now, I'm building a relationship with Brighid and she is my main focus.  (I also have a small shrine to Bast where I make offerings and ask her to look after my cat, Cosette.  But I really think of her more Cosette's goddess than mine.)  I've also become rather interested in Athena of late (she has much in common with Brighid) but that hasn't gone anywhere yet.

The records we have of ancient myths and practices are inspirational, but no text is sacred.  (This was another area where Christianity made me uncomfortable, actually.)

n/a

Not many at the moment:
- Everything is infused with the divine spirit, including yourself.  Act accordingly.
- You are responsible for your own choices, actions, and inactions.
- The gods are real, distinct individuals.  Relationships with them should be taken at least as seriously as relationships with fellow humans.

I celebrate the cross-quarter days, with a special emphasis on Imbolc.  (I've also been known to celebrate the solar holidays, but that's really more to support family and friends who are on paths that mark them as important.)

No.  Usually jeans and a tank top.  As someone else said, its important that I be clean and presentable, however.

* Do you use and special prayer tools? (Example, as a Catholic, I carry rosary beeds with me everywhere that I go.)
Really, anything that can maintain a flame (lamp, candle, bonfire.)

* What are the major misconceptions that the general public seem to have about your faith/religion?
Well, about paganism in general:  that we're all neo-Wiccans, devil worshippers, or hippie flakes.  (Yes, OK, I'm a hippie.  But not a flake.)

* What would you like people unfamiliar with you faith to know?
Pretty much the stuff I mentioned.  I'm not out for converts.  Heck, I'm still converting myself. 

Just, I suppose, that one can be very devout without belonging to one of the major world religions.

* Are there any questions that I have not asked that you feel need to be touched upon?
Can't think of any.
AzazealsSiren
Apprentice
Last Login:March 28, 2007, 06:51:45 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 23, 2007, 10:31:23 pm »

THANK YOU!!

YOU ... ALL ... ROCK!

(¯`·. It's GREAT to be a FLORIDA GATOR! .·´¯)

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 23, 2007, 11:23:55 pm »

You're quite welcome! lol I love answering surveys like these actually, they make me think. (and give me a chance to talk about myself. I'll admit it, I'm a bit vain. Hey, aren't we all? LOL)

Anna Veela
Last Login:March 24, 2007, 12:59:43 am

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 24, 2007, 12:59:22 am »

Your quite welcome! You ROCK too, for being open to other religions so far removed from your own.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 24, 2007, 09:24:16 am »

THANK YOU!!

YOU ... ALL ... ROCK!

Hah!  You ROCK too!  I hope you've got what you were looking for.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: March 24, 2007, 09:37:01 am »

THANK YOU!!

YOU ... ALL ... ROCK!

Hey I get to tweak shads nose cos I got to rant about flamekeeping before she did.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: March 24, 2007, 09:39:46 am »

Hey I get to tweak shads nose cos I got to rant about flamekeeping before she did.

and left me with nothing to say! Tongue

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Oceanlizard
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 09:06:02 pm
New Zealand New Zealand

Religion: Not quite Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 25, 2007, 07:46:33 pm »

==================================================

Elisabeth

* How old are you?

I'm still kicking around the idea of being a Kemetic and if it really fits my beliefs. So Pagan, going onto Kemetic, maybe?

Convert.

I started to call myself Pagan when I was 17. I used to be a protestant Christian. I really started to question Christianity and God when I was 15 and my sister was killed in a car accident. I just sort of drifted around for a year or two, not caring about religion at all (I had decided that what ever I did, I'll end up in hell anyway) Then I did some poking around and came across Wicca. This lead onto finding out about various Pagan religions, including Kemeticism.

Bast and Sekhmet mainly. Other of the Netjeru come and go.

None

-

Upholding Ma'at

Personally I don't really celebrate any holy days at the moment but that's because I'm still working out whether I should be following the Kemetic calendar or not.

No

Candles and food.

Haven't heard of any.

* What would you like people unfamiliar with your faith to know?
What I'm doing is not Wicca.

* Are there any questions that I have not asked that you feel need to be touched upon?
Can't think of any.

Renge
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 10, 2007, 09:20:56 am
Japan Japan

Religion: Pagan (Undecided)

Say whaaaat?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 26, 2007, 01:09:17 am »

Looks like I'm a little late...but anyway....

Amilee

* How old are you?

Paganism (specifics are still being worked out)

Convert

United Church (Christianity), I converted at the age of 14ish.  I felt drawn to it and I've always had a deep love for divination and witchcraft.

Mnemosyne the Greek goddess of memory.

None.

Nada

Remember and respect. 

At the moment I'm following the basic Pagan festivals.  I have yet to decide on other days that I should celebrate.  Days of Cinnamon are also important.

Nope

I wear a piece of Flourite crystal (to inspire myself) and a pentical. I touch them often for prayers.

The all Pagans, no matter who they are are evil.  That witches and actually perform magic...

For my religion I think that Mnemosyne's purpose is very important.  Remembering her would be enough for me.  I'd also like people to realise that I don't have supernatural powers. 

Not at all!

Insert witty quote here.  I'll get back to you with this one...

Got a kitty sleepin on my lap and kinda distracted.
Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 26, 2007, 08:17:12 pm »

Tim

* How old are you?
20, nearly 21

I am a Walker of the Silver Paths

Convert.  I'm building this path.

19.  Atheism, via agnosticism and neo-Wicca.  I realized when I was 12 that I believed something, and when I was 18 that I was pagan, but I couldn't make Wicca quite fit, so I started working on figuring this out.

I'm a pantheist, so I worship Existence as "the One That Is All."  As lesser aspects of the One, I deal primarily with the Ladies Arianrhod and the Morrigan.

None.

N/A

•   An it harm none, do what you will.  An it cause harm, do as you must.
•   All that you do shall return upon you threefold at the end of your Path, for good or for bane.  Accept this as a consequence of your actions, and think before you act.
•   Seek knowledge.  Knowledge overcomes ignorance.
•   Inaction is also an action, but do not allow yourself to be trapped by it.
•   Respect all that is.  We are all part of the One.  Do not respond to disrespect with disrespect.  If you cannot say something respectfully, it is better to remain silent.
•   Honor the One That Is All.
•   Honor the aspects of the One that have been given greater parts, perceptions, and time than you have.  Seek their guidance if you will.
•   Remain true to your Path.  Do what your Path calls you to do, and be what your Path calls you to be.  Always remember that you are a teacher as well as a student.

I celebrate the Wiccan Sabbats (Samhain, Yule, Imbolc, Spring Equinox, Beltaine, Midsummer, Lughnasadh, Fall Equinox), and use the neo-Wiccan significance.  They represent to me the cycle of life, death, and rebirth which is key to my religion.

No.  To quote Master Yoda, "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."  I feel no need to dress in a particular way, as the physical is less important than the spiritual.

I have a pendant that I wear almost all of the time, but it's not so much a tool as a symbol of my faith.

That as a male practicing a Wicca-esque religion, I must be homosexual.

That just because I don't perform magic in a flashy manner with instant results doesn't mean that I don't perform magic.  Subtlety is a virtue.

I think you should also ask whether people have been discriminated against because of their religion.  I haven't, but many have.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
dryad
Apprentice
Last Login:May 28, 2009, 04:17:05 pm

Religion: Wiccanesque Hekate-worshipping pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 30, 2007, 12:57:04 pm »

I know I'm late on this one, and you're probably already done gathering your data, but I wanted to fill our the survey anyhow.  ^_^

Christina

* How old are you?

You could call me an eclectic pagan with Wiccan and Greek & Irish leanings, but I don't fit nicely into any one category.

Convert to paganism in general, but my devotion to my goddess is based solely on her and not some outside person(s).

I was 16 when I discovered Wicca and started practicing it, but it wasn't completely my cup o' tea.  I was thwacked by Hekate at the same time, via Medea, but I had no idea who they were.  I didn't acknowledge my connection with Hekate until I was about 20.  The Irish influence really picked up when hubby and I went to Ireland two years ago.

I worship Hekate primarily, but I am a panentheist so I also honor/worship the One athat is All.

None

N/A

N/A
My personal philosophies, however, say I should seek further knowledge and understanding, that all faiths have truths, that everything deserves some level of respect, and that there is no one right answer for everyone in regards to religion and spirituality.

Some Wiccan days, full moons, dark moons, and days specific to Hekate.
Specifically, Samhain is important as a time to honor the deceased, November 15th is one of Hekate's days, Yule because the light is going to return, Imbolg because is reflects the sun's returning and it is Brighid's Day, Ostara because is signals Spring and new life, Beltaine because it's fun, it's fire, and it's our anniversary, Fall Equinox because it signals Fall's beginning, the dark moons because they're important to Hekate, and the full moons just because.

Not really.  Sometimes I'll do things skyclad, sometimes I'll just make sure I'm wearing comfortable clothes, sometimes it doesn't matter at all.  Usually doesn't matter.

Fire and a mirror.

That as a pagan, I'm automatically Wiccan.  The pagan public tends to have a lot of misconceptions about Hekate as being a fearful crone worth keeping away from.

That there is no one answer for everyone.

Can't think of any.

-Dryad
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: March 30, 2007, 05:42:48 pm »

So when is this critter due?

Katrina (wow I saw another Katrina on here.

* How old are you?

Reclaiming group practice, nebulous wiccanish solitary practice. attending an UU church

Convert.

34, I came from a wandering Christian path that began and ended in the UU church, but passed trough Baptist, presyterian and Methodist (20 years in the methodist part)

Brighid, Aphrodite (I think) and at least one GOd who said hi, but didn't bother to identify himself, but said Go now and do Research.  I use Lord and Lady as well as a designation for the above.  They don't seem to mind

None.

N/A

I use the Principls of UNity from Reclaiming, they seem to work for me

http://www.reclaiming.org/about/directions/unity.html.

I use the wheel of the year.

nope

I have a Hart and Cresent pendant I wear (I REALLY don't want to wear the pent at work), and a ring that is part of the Brighid devotion.  Usually, when I get stressed at the nursing home, I'll stop, look at the ring and ask "Why am I here." 

well, the general public around me at work think that all occult is evil, and that all witches are like that one agency nurse who was an out witch and an incompetent flake.  At the UU church, they are much more understanding.

* What would you like people unfamiliar with your faith to know?
I'm a person too, just like them.  And I'm not even that strange. And I'm not an incompetent flake.  And I'm not abusing my kids by raising them this way either.

the discrimination question mentioned earler is good.  I haven't been, but I'm sure I would be at work if I was out.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #28: March 30, 2007, 05:46:52 pm »

Katrina (wow I saw another Katrina on here.

Grin That's me!

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Starfire
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 30, 2007, 10:26:46 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: March 31, 2007, 02:26:52 am »

Starfire
* How old are you?
50 years young.
I'm a Pagan
My Mother was a Catholic and my Father was a Anthist so I was left on my own to fine my faith/path.
I was never comfortable in the Catholic Church, I couldn't look at Jesus on the cross without becoming horrified but I found comfort in looking at the Virgin Mary.  I've been drawn to the "Occult" since I was around 10-12 years old. I was bathizied (oops) a Catholic and was comfirmed before I married in 1978 but I didn't agree with the Church. That marriage didn't last past 7 years.  My second husband is a pagan and I have been one since I was about 10.   We have been married for 21 years now.
The Goddess "Luna", I'm a Cancerian and I feel so close to her (she rules my life) and she has always answered me when I've needed her the most.  (I hope that makes sense to you)  Also the goddess "Danu", my husband and I live in the forrest with all of her creatures. (I talk to the ones you can and can not see)

I follow what feels right for me.  I don't follow set rules or rituals.  I create my own and it works for me.

N/A

I do believe what the Wiccians believe..."Do as thy will, be it harm none".

OMG...Samhain is my favorite, I get to talk to those beyond the veil and I get to astral travel to other places during this time.

No
I always wear my pentagram.
That we are Satainic/Devil worshipers. 
That we are the followers of the Old Religion and we are reestablishing the worship of nature and the lunar goddess.
I believe that being a Pagan, Wiccian, Druid, etc, etc, is nothing new........we/it have always been around waiting to come into our own.  Magick Happens and it is in all of us, just Believe....
Blessed be,
Starfire

"Don't dream it, be it" ..... RHPS

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)