The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 12, 2021, 11:08:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2021, 11:08:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here willing to help with a religion class project?  (Read 8176 times)
Ashlan
Apprentice
Last Login:February 23, 2009, 05:45:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: wicca/asatru/eclectic

you never know if you don't ask

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: April 03, 2007, 04:56:31 pm »

* Introduce yourself: (First name only is fine since this is online)
Ashlan
* How old are you?
* To what faith/religion do you belong?
Earth Based
* Were you born into this faith/religion or are you a convert? 
Convert
* If so, at what age did you convert and from what faith did you come?  What prompted this conversion?
Presbyterian; 15: It was almost an instinctual urge
* What God/Goddess do you worship?
there's so many different names for the same entities - so for me they're somewhat nameless.
* What sacred texts does your faith/religion follow?
Everything that comes into my hands which might bear on the subject
* What is your favorite verse(s) from these texts?
seek and ye shall find
* What are the major tenets of your faith/religion?
same as above
* What are your Holy days and why are they significant?
the Equinox', turning of the seasons, etc.
* Are there any special garments that you wear for your faith/religion?
no
* Do you use and special prayer tools? (Example, as a Catholic, I carry rosary beeds with me everywhere that I go.)
Amber jewelry has a resonance for me
* What are the major misconceptions that the general public seem to have about your faith/religion?
That it's evil, inspired by the devil, etc.
* What would you like people unfamiliar with your faith to know?
That it has nothing to do with them; it seems to me that many who are unfamiliar w/non-mainstream religions act under the premis that each and every one of them is the center of the universe and therefore anything which happens in the world is directed at them.  It isn't.  Willfull ignorance on their part doesn't need to be inflicted upon me.
* Are there any questions that I have not asked that you feel need to be touched upon?
no

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: April 11, 2007, 06:56:20 pm »

* Introduce yourself: (First name only is fine since this is online)

* How old are you?

* If so, at what age did you convert and from what faith did you come?  What prompted this conversion?

* What God/Goddess do you worship?

* What sacred texts does your faith/religion follow?

* What are the major tenets of your faith/religion?

* What are your Holy days and why are they significant?

* Are there any special garmets that you wear for your faith/religion?

* Do you use and special prayer tools? (Example, as a Catholic, I carry rosary beeds with me everywhere that I go.)

* What are the major misconceptions that the general public seem to have about your faith/religion?

* What would you like people unfamiliar with you faith to know?

* Are there any questions that I have not asked that you feel need to be touched upon?

Hi there. Smiley My first name is Quinn. Yes, it really is my first name, and I'm female. The name is non-gender, although there aren't as many girls with the name as there are boys. Anyway, I'm 36 until this June. (Yeah! another year and still here! lol)

Hmmm, well I guess the handiest term for my personal path would be Ecclectic as I draw from just about any cultural source, and believe that Truth is everywhere. I do tend towards Green witchery though. Ummm, it's not a formal religion it's a personal choice and way of life. So no to conversion, although I could easily argue being born into it lol.

I was born to two free-thinking hippie parents. My father saw that I was educated and brought up Catholic, which is how he was brought up although as an adult he chose Kabbalism. His words to me were, "This is just a starting place. Faith is important though and you have to start somewhere. Follow it through to your comfirmation, read everything, and then make up your own mind." My mother took me to all kinds of churches and spiritual groups to broaden my horizons too. I particularly enjoyed the weekly yoga and meditation, which I attended before I began school. It has served me well throughout my life and I am forever grateful that my parents opened so many doors for me at such a young age. I dislike the "us or them" "we're the only one's with Truth" attitudes that one finds so often in any organized religion, and prefer to accept whatever rings true no matter where it comes from. His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Chief Seattle and Eleanor Roosevelt are my three biggest influences.

Hmmm, I "worship" God/Creator/Great Mystery/Divinity whatever name you use. I extend gratitude to and ask for aid from a wide variety of pantheons though, as I see most of these beings as some form of Divine Feminine or Divine Masculine with their own specific concerns. I extend the same respect and gratitude to the World around me and all that it contains or is surrounded by as I believe that each has its own lessons and powers. Stars, Sun, Moon, Dog, Fox, Deer, Ocean, Earth, etc etc. To me, all things are sacred.... even the ones I don't like lol.

Well, let's see. The tenets of Hinduism (and Buddism which formed after Buddha's life, much like Christianity and Christ) are huge with me. In the past several years I have been very drawn to Native American studies, which mirror a lot of the same wisdoms actually. Aside from the personal teachers who have come into my life, I support the works of Jamie Sams (13 Original Clan Mothers was brilliant), Ted Andrews, and David Carson along with wise Native people from long before such as Chief Seattle and Elder Black Elk. I also like the Ten Commandments and Jesus' instrustion to "Love God, love your neighbor, love yourself" as good spiritual guides. There have been many wise and generous spiritual souls over and time. I try to read as many as I can find, so this list could go on for quite a while. I'm very impressed with Brehon law as laid out by the Celts and consider it a great shame that so much of that culture's spiritual beliefs were shattered and lost. The Kabbalah, Ooh, and Mother Teresa! She was such a loving and generous spiritual soul....yeah I could go on for quite awhile lol.

"Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect." ~ Chief Seattle (1854)

"The first peace, which is the most important,
is that which comes within the souls of people
when they realize their relationship,
their oneness, with the universe and all its powers,
and when they realize that at the center
of the universe dwells Wakan-Taka (the Great Spirit),
and that this center is really everywhere, it is within each of us.
This is the real peace, and the others are but reflections of this.
The second peace is that which is made between two individuals,
and the third is that which is made between two nations.
But above all you should understand that there can never
be peace between nations until there is known that true peace,
which, as I have often said, is within the souls of men."

Black Elk, Oglala Sioux & Spiritual Leader (1863 - 1950)

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness." HH the Dalai Lama

“The power of God is with you at all times; through the activities of mind, senses, breathing, and emotions; and is constantly doing all the work using you as a mere instrument.” Bhagavad Gita

Just a small sampling of favorites. Smiley

Every day is sacred and a gift. I try to treat them that way even if it's been a "bad" day lol. I do pay special attention around equinoxes, changes of season and full moons. "Happy Friday" is treated with the same cheerful respect in our house as "Happy Halloween" or "Merry Christmas". Basically, I just try to live in harmony with the World around me. The World shifts through her changes and I try to acknowledge that same willingness to grow and change whenever I can.

No, no special clothing or absence of clothing. Whatever I've got on whenever I'm moved is usually good enough. As long as it's comfortable and servicable. I do have a tendency to go barefooted onto Earth for prayers and meditations as I find it helps to ground me and is a great comfort too.

Rosary beads are a great focus and I've used them on several occasions. I don't necessarily use a specific tool when praying, although I most often go outside off of man-made grounds. I've used any variety of natural objects as a focus though: stones, leaves, twigs, flowers, water, skyetc etc. I've also used tarot cards, ouja boards, and other divinatory tools for purposes other than prayer.

Misconceptions? lol Tons. "I thought you were a witch, why do you have rosary beads?" was said to me once. Most folks just plain can't understand how I can accept so many "different paths" as being equally valuable for reaching enlightenment. There's a wealth of misunderstanding available out there though lol. I've gotten just as much arguement or misunderstanding from those walking a Pagan path as from any of the organized religions too. Throwing myself open to everything often causes people to feel that I "lack direction or commitment", yet I feel that it is most definitely a hard road to simply Accept and be open. Someone once said, "Love each other. It's as simple and as difficult as that." So True!

What would I like unfamiliar people to know? We're all here together and we need to accept that and move on to bigger issues before it is too late.

Hmm, nothing seems to be missing to me...but it's also not my research lol. If anything else occurs to you though, I'll be happy to share my views though lol.

Wishing You Laughter

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
Daecon
Apprentice
Last Login:April 22, 2007, 08:22:35 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: April 15, 2007, 01:17:09 am »

* Introduce yourself: Erik

* How old are you?

eclectic wicca (Church of the Old Gods) Eclectic, in this context means neither Gardnarian or Alexandrian but ultimately descended from them.  (This is somewhat similar to the catholic/protestant divide.)

convert, or at least came to the faith as an adult.

* If so, at what age did you convert and from what faith did you come?  What prompted this conversion?  21.  I was originally baptised Methodist but was never observant past sunday school age.  I always thought God was too great to fit into any one religion or even any several.  When I found neopaganism, it seemed a good fit since it encouraged personal exploration of the Divine without a constrictive dogma.

* What God/Goddess do you worship?  I see all gods and goddesses as aspects of a universal Divine Principle.  They show different facets to be more comprehensable to us as the full Divine is beyond human understanding.  Even so, though I've worked with a number of gods over the years, I do have a few favorites:
         Prometheus -- bringer of knowlege and original rebel
         Bacchus -- I brew wine as a hobby
         Athena -- wisdom aspect especially
         Jesus -- especially his christkind aspect as the returning solstice sun.

* What sacred texts does your faith/religion follow?  Wicca has no universal sacred books, but we do have a body of inspirational poetry of which the Charge of the Goddess is the best known.

"Behold...the union of the God and the Goddess.  The blade blesses the cup and we are blessed.  The cup sactifies the blade and we are sanctified and made one in Their love."  This is the blessing of the chalice for the Cakes and Ale ritual. 

* What are the major tenets of your faith/religion?  The Divine is too great to comprehend so It divides Itself into "mind size bites"  The Divine is in all things animate and inanimate while transcendent of them all.  Humans are also part of this Divine principle and partake of Its nature. 

* What are your Holy days and why are they significant? We have 8 major holidays in a year and they follow an agricultural theme to attune us to the earth.

Samhain-End of the year, last harvest and a time to commune with friends and relatives that are no longer with us.

Yule--beginning of the new year.  We celebrate the returning sun with songs and stories.  To symbolize the new sun, we use all new candles on the altar.  The old ones were retired at samhain and in my coven, we don't use candles in any ceremonies between the two holidays.  (mundane candles for when the power goes out are still ok.)

Imbolic--feast of first milk.  This is when farm animals traditionally started giving birth so that by the time the calves/kids/foals/lambs etc. were on solid food, there would be grass for them to eat.  To me, the holiday is really a way of saying "Look, we know it's february, but spring is comming, I promise."

Ostara--We make talismans to give to family and friends to "bring some spring into their lives."  Since easter is comming soon, these take the form of decorated eggs. 

Beltane--this is the closest we get to an orgy, fully clothed and telling dirty jokes.

Midsummer--Spring is all about the joy of life but now we get into the serious stuff again.  The primary rite of midsummer is the battle of the Oak and Holly Kings.  The Holly King was born at Yule and rules the beginning of the year.  The Oak King must slay him for us to bring in the Harvest.  We commemorate this with a symbolic battle with two of the coven taking the Kings' roles.

lughnasadh--This is the easiest of the holidays for a christian to understand.  The whole ceremony is an extremely elaborate Eucharist.  The men of the coven make a Corn King out of straw with a loaf of bread in its torso.  The women meanwhile gather flowers and decorate the poppet.  The completed figure is burned and the loaf retrieved and eaten.  "Out of Death comes Life." 

Mabon--The Harvest.  We make a stone soup, everyone brings something to put in the pot.  Also, the dark time of the year is approaching, a time for meditation and contemplation.  To help, we make talismans for ourselves.

Which brings us back to Samhain--The Oak king dies and travels to the Summerlands, the land of the Dead.  He will be reborn as the new Holly King at Yule.

* Are there any special garmets that you wear for your faith/religion?  no, although traditionally black clothing is reserved for clergy in our coven.  Other than that most of us wear our usual clothes.  I do wear ceremonial jewelry, however, which I do not wear outside of circle. 

* Do you use any special prayer tools?   My high priest always says a witch can cast circle with just one finger, but for the holidays the altar always holds 7 special candles, a bowl of water, a dish of salt, a stick of incense, a goblet and a knife. Many of us have athames (the knives) of our own but the room is somewhat cramped so I usually use my wand instead.  (safer that way) 

* What are the major misconceptions that the general public seem to have about your faith/religion?  The claim that we worship the devil is less common than it used to be, although there are still some christians that belive this.  If satan existed at all, he would have to function as a god of evil, something foreign to wiccan philosophy. Though certainly there are plenty of gods of darkness, of chaos and of death, these are cycles of life. 
       Accusations of devil worship have, for the most part, been replaced with claims of sexual immorality in recent years.  This is only a little closer to the truth.  A few sects, Gardnarians especially, work skyclad (nude) but this is not all that common. (especially here in the northeast, it gets damn cold in february)  For those that do practice nude, the nudity has little to do with sex but it's easy to see how someone could make that assumption.  Similarly, a certain segment of the public considers homosexuality to be inherently sinful and I've never seen a wiccan coven that takes that view.  The result is that wicca has a much higher proportion of gays than most other religions, though still a minority.

* What would you like people unfamiliar with you faith to know?  We're not nearly as wierd as you think. Grin  We do, however, take our religion seriously.  For older witches especially, this wasn't our first choice for a religion.  It wasn't even our second or third.  We came to our faith after years of searching and so we think it is our best choice.  We don't, however, expect it to be everyone's best choice.

* Are there any questions that I have not asked that you feel need to be touched upon?  The relationship of magic to wicca.  It's a fact that wicca grew out of the 19th century magical lodges and spiritualist traditions.  There is natually a tradition of spellcraft that runs through the faith.  Generally, wiccans do not make a distiction between magic and prayer.
       One last thing:  Some don't mind it, but unless you know for sure, never refer to a male wiccan as a "warlock."  The term is considered pejorative by many.  "Witch" is proper for both males and females.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)