The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 06:33:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 06:33:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Other No-No aurthors?  (Read 18775 times)
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 04, 2007, 09:11:33 pm »

He is a great author. Whether you have Wiccan leanings or not, Cunningham's books are not only interesting, but his writing style is so down-to-earth it makes for a lovely read.

I think I've enjoyed some of Cunningham's work. I can't remember, though, if he wrote the book I'm thinking of, or not. I should pick up some of his books again. (Even though I'm not Wiccan the subject DOES interest me.)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 17, 2019, 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: December 04, 2007, 10:39:58 pm »

He is a great author.

He's a good author -- at least when writing on subjects he knows well. But I don't think I'd consider him a great author.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
ShadowScape
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 28, 2008, 05:37:20 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Insular Celtic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: December 05, 2007, 09:08:27 am »

DJ Conway (where do I START?? Awful, awful history and mythology. In Celtic Magic she claims that Danu is an aspect of Morrigan!!! UGH!!!! Shocked)

Never a truer word was spoken !

Redhound666
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2008, 04:18:07 pm

Religion: Tell You When I Have Found It ;)

The Master of the Elements Lives Forever

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: December 05, 2007, 02:43:38 pm »

hmm, what a peculiar statement. Are you saying you have or have not read him? He is not fluffy. If you have read him, you would know that. For fluffy (a word and idea I detest, but anyway...) try Poppy Palin, or anyone else who advises that you don't bother trying to understand or learn more about Craft and just do whatever feels good to you.

Actually, I have read 3 books from him. Earth Power, Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, and another one about Wiccans practicing in the city. It's just my opinion, but I personally don't like him.

Please help my dragons grow!
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: December 05, 2007, 03:09:52 pm »

Actually, I have read 3 books from him. Earth Power, Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, and another one about Wiccans practicing in the city. It's just my opinion, but I personally don't like him.
I wouldn't call Scott fluffy, exactly.  In Solitary Practitioner, he does come off as too much of a "white lighter" for my taste.  (For want of a better term.  What I mean is it all seems a bit "sanitized for your protection".  He appears to take the Rede as a call to pacifism, and to have removed some of the "ickier" bits from his version of Wicca, among other things.) 

But his information is pretty solid.  He doesn't spew the usual rubbish you'd find in, say $RW or McCoy.  I love his Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs to death. 

Those are the only two books I've read of his.
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: December 05, 2007, 03:30:04 pm »

I love his Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs to death. 

I have most of his books. His gemstone book and Incense, Oils, and Brews get a lot of use in my house. Wink
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2019, 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: December 05, 2007, 06:46:51 pm »

I wouldn't call Scott fluffy, exactly.  In Solitary Practitioner, he does come off as too much of a "white lighter" for my taste.  (For want of a better term.  What I mean is it all seems a bit "sanitized for your protection".  He appears to take the Rede as a call to pacifism, and to have removed some of the "ickier" bits from his version of Wicca, among other things.)
What I've always figured is, it reflected Scott's own nature - from all reports, he really was that nice and sweet and gentle of a guy.  As for "removal of icky bits", well, I'd venture that the absence of the Great Rite has more to do with it being impractical and theologically iffy in a solitary practice, than with prudery; that applies to some extent to other possible sexual content.

I don't really disagree with your assessment, though; I just think that most of the "sanitation" wasn't for anyone's protection, but an accurate depiction of Scott's own solitary practices.  It's not Wicca from a Traditionalist POV (not from "sanitization" but simply because it's solitary), but it's sound, though markedly "sunny-side-up", neoPagan religious Witchcraft.

(There are those ubiquitous eggs again... that gives me a whisper of an idea for a humor article.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: December 05, 2007, 09:25:21 pm »

For fluffy (a word and idea I detest, but anyway...) try Poppy Palin, or anyone else who advises that you don't bother trying to understand or learn more about Craft and just do whatever feels good to you.

Hmm...I have something by Poppy Palin.  It's actually a gathering of essays on magic by several different authors.  I'll have to read her essay and report back on where it rates on the fluffometer.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #23: December 06, 2007, 11:04:05 am »

I have most of his books. His gemstone book and Incense, Oils, and Brews get a lot of use in my house. Wink

I use the metal and gemstones and magical herbalism books all the time. Have to get the kitchen witch book and the incense and oils books. I agree that  his writing style is quite airy fairy, but this, to me, is not a factor in determining whether there is something of value in a book. I only read craft books for specific purposes, or to learn about specific topics.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: December 06, 2007, 02:01:17 pm »

but this, to me, is not a factor in determining whether there is something of value in a book. I only read craft books for specific purposes, or to learn about specific topics.

Same here, but I couldn't tell you when I last bought one. All the ones on my shelves predate 1995, iirc.
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #25: December 06, 2007, 04:34:18 pm »

Same here, but I couldn't tell you when I last bought one. All the ones on my shelves predate 1995, iirc.

The only Craft thingy I have going right now is Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft, by Christopher Penczak, but I am bummed b/c most of the stuff in it I already know, or do. But he has so many good citations, and he is so clear and direct, it helps me know where I want to go next, so will likely keep slogging through. For my Kali group, I'm also reading a really wonderful book by David Kinsley about the the Ten Mahavidyas called Tantric Visions of the Divine Feminine Also the Fairies encyclopedia by Kathryn Briggs is great fun, that is my current bathtub book.

I am reading too many things right now. The stack next to my bed is starting to annoy my husband b/c he keeps knocking it over.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: December 06, 2007, 04:57:45 pm »

The stack next to my bed is starting to annoy my husband b/c he keeps knocking it over.

My to be read pile got so huge it now has its own bookshelf. :rolls eyes:
Harken
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 10, 2008, 04:42:58 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: December 06, 2007, 11:00:30 pm »

The only Craft thingy I have going right now is Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft, by Christopher Penczak, but I am bummed b/c most of the stuff in it I already know, or do.

I think he's a good author, because at least if you disagree he generally explains, in-depth, why he believes that way and he supports it. I think that's part of the largest reason why there are so many "no-no authors" out there, because they don't explain why they believe that way. Silver Ravenwolf, for example, spews fallacies often as not with little explanation. The portrayal of Wicca and Witchcraft (if anybody differentiates) that she teaches wouldn't be so scrutinized (or maybe it would, haha) if she backed it up with logic.

- - - -

Anyhow, it probably would be advisable to look at the publishers of the "no-no authors", whoever they may be. Llewellyn, the publisher of many neopagan authors, hits and misses on many. I'm always super careful when looking at an unfamiliar author from there, because they seemingly publish anything that might make money. That's not to say they don't publish good information texts (because they do have a few good authors, many of them already talked about here) but. . they also publish Silver Ravenwolf, which, in my opinion, is their largest fault. Just a thought about publishing companies.

In perfect love and perfect trust.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #28: December 11, 2007, 03:52:17 am »

I think that's part of the largest reason why there are so many "no-no authors" out there, because they don't explain why they believe that way.
That also annoys me a lot. For example Ted Andrews (Animal Speak) has a lot of interesting ideas and includes all traditions of the world he can get hold of in his books, but often doesn't explain what's the difference between them and why he takes this aspect from this tradition and that from another one. Not a "no-no author", but still a bit questionable.

Then there's also those who say things like 'such and such practices are completly unnecessary' or 'such and such beliefs are neo-shamanic rubbish' without explaining why. That strikes me just as dogmatic bias against different beliefs/practices if they don't explain what they have against them.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
etherion1
Last Login:December 20, 2007, 12:49:41 pm

Religion: Solitary Wicca

Merry meet merry part blessed be within your heart

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: December 14, 2007, 10:22:38 pm »

Any good books etc, etc, etc? About any subject of Paganism?

From one "newbie" to another... i would suggest

anything by Scott Cunningham

Marian Green " a Witch alone"

Carl McColman " before you cast a spell "

i have found a lot of useful information and teaching techniques in these books. Some others that i like are

Starhawk, deborah lipp and Ed fitch.

Merry Meet & Merry Part Blessed Be What's In Your Heart !

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.