The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 24, 2022, 08:58:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2022, 08:58:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Other No-No aurthors?  (Read 22550 times)
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #60: February 01, 2008, 07:15:21 pm »

I've just added this o the list of books we need to request via Interlibrary loan.

You'll really enjoy it.  It's one of the few studies of Neopaganism in general that, while recognizing that Wicca is the most common Neopagan religion, doesn't treat it as *normative*, if that makes sense; Asatru, Druidry, etc. are treated as *separate religions* under the large Pagan umbrella, rather than deviations from Wicca.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #61: February 01, 2008, 07:18:03 pm »

You'll really enjoy it.  It's one of the few studies of Neopaganism in general that, while recognizing that Wicca is the most common Neopagan religion, doesn't treat it as *normative*, if that makes sense; Asatru, Druidry, etc. are treated as *separate religions* under the large Pagan umbrella, rather than deviations from Wicca.

I wish more books would do that -- especially some of the popular press ones by authors who really should know better.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #62: February 01, 2008, 08:50:35 pm »

I've just added this o the list of books we need to request via Interlibrary loan.

Done. Smiley

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Makamu
Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2010, 01:52:54 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: Henotheistic Christian with polytheistic leanings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: February 02, 2008, 08:52:26 am »

Modern Paganism in World Cultures:  Comparative Perspectives (ed. Strmiska) is an excellent collection of essays -- by leading scholars of Neopagan religions such as Magliocco, Blain, and Strmiska himself -- on various Recon movements.  Wicca is also covered, by way of contrast.    The introduction is a *fantastic* layout of various theories and perspectives on  Neopagan religions.

*scribbles note* Thanks for the recommendation, Catja Smiley

Maka
Tracey
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 09, 2008, 06:25:46 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #64: February 04, 2008, 11:27:55 pm »

Buckland is really variable.  Some of his books are worth every penny and some are a waste of paper.
I totally agree!!
Hopecraft
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 08, 2009, 03:36:27 pm
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Religion: pagan/ green witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: February 28, 2008, 06:13:51 pm »

The only Craft thingy I have going right now is Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft, by Christopher Penczak, but I am bummed b/c most of the stuff in it I already know, or do. But he has so many good citations, and he is so clear and direct, it helps me know where I want to go next, so will likely keep slogging through. For my Kali group, I'm also reading a really wonderful book by David Kinsley about the the Ten Mahavidyas called Tantric Visions of the Divine Feminine Also the Fairies encyclopedia by Kathryn Briggs is great fun, that is my current bathtub book.

I am reading too many things right now. The stack next to my bed is starting to annoy my husband b/c he keeps knocking it over.

I am quite a fan of Penczaks Inner Temple of Witchcraft and Outer Temple of Witchcraft, they are superbly written and I was quite surprised how much I really took away from those reads, especially the latter. 

To stay on topic though I bought those book on Ebay in an action and they were sold with Ann Moura's Grimiore for the Green Witch who I consider a no-no.  The correspondences and some other stuff in there was useful, but for the most part I'm glad I got it in auction and didn't pay cover.  I have since donated it away as it was taking up precious library shelf space. 
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #66: February 28, 2008, 07:53:46 pm »

To stay on topic though I bought those book on Ebay in an action and they were sold with Ann Moura's Grimiore for the Green Witch who I consider a no-no.

What was it you didn't like?

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Hopecraft
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 08, 2009, 03:36:27 pm
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Religion: pagan/ green witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #67: February 29, 2008, 02:08:58 pm »

What was it you didn't like?

For example, When you start reading the Grimiore, if you have not had experience in witchcraft previously or don't understand what it is to be a "green" witch you would think that Ann Moura and her "family" invented green witchcraft and that it is in and of itself a "tradition".  I know many a witch who call themselves a green witch that do not subscribe to Mouras specific tradition.  When I identify myself as a green witch, I do some simply because my particular path lies with the earth and its abundance of life, not a specific tradition or as Mours spells out "Rules of Conduct" set forth by any kind of system of belief.  It took me by surprise that Moura takes the concept of green witchery and acts as though its her tradition and everyone who claims to be a green witch follows her set of rules that her family invented.  She never points out that many people consider themselves green witches and don't have anything to do with her.  She's taken a broad classification and laid claim to it.  That slightly irks me and was the very first thing to put me off of her writing. 

Her style of green witchcraft is quite exhaustive...it kind of makes me giggle a bit.

But like I said, I did make use of her coorespondences and the like, its basically regurgitated from every other list of correspondences I've ever seen published.  And her basic rituals...are sometimes useful if you need to have that stuff spelled out for you.  If you want to view a copy of it, I found it on google books and was able to view alot of the book.
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #68: February 29, 2008, 07:18:01 pm »

For example, When you start reading the Grimiore, if you have not had experience in witchcraft previously or don't understand what it is to be a "green" witch you would think that Ann Moura and her "family" invented green witchcraft and that it is in and of itself a "tradition".  I know many a witch who call themselves a green witch that do not subscribe to Mouras specific tradition.  When I identify myself as a green witch, I do some simply because my particular path lies with the earth and its abundance of life, not a specific tradition or as Mours spells out "Rules of Conduct" set forth by any kind of system of belief.  It took me by surprise that Moura takes the concept of green witchery and acts as though its her tradition and everyone who claims to be a green witch follows her set of rules that her family invented.  She never points out that many people consider themselves green witches and don't have anything to do with her.  She's taken a broad classification and laid claim to it.  That slightly irks me and was the very first thing to put me off of her writing. 

Her style of green witchcraft is quite exhaustive...it kind of makes me giggle a bit.

But like I said, I did make use of her coorespondences and the like, its basically regurgitated from every other list of correspondences I've ever seen published.  And her basic rituals...are sometimes useful if you need to have that stuff spelled out for you.  If you want to view a copy of it, I found it on google books and was able to view alot of the book.

thanks for the review Hopecraft, I appreciate that Smiley

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Armagh444
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2010, 07:16:15 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #69: February 29, 2008, 10:56:59 pm »

And for every newbie too, who else should we avoid pertaining to books/online resources/stores?

Douglas Monroe's 21 Lessons of Merlyn should be treated as if the pages were laced with a particularly potent combination of Yersinia Pestis, Tularemia, Smallpox, and the worst norovirus you ever did see.

Three things from which never to be moved: one's Oaths, one's Gods, and the Truth. The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty. Three candles that illuminate every darkness: Truth, Nature, and Knowledge.
Armagh444
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2010, 07:16:15 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #70: February 29, 2008, 11:24:58 pm »

That'd be the one! Good ol' Big Blue. Grin

Oooo, Uncle Buckie's Big Blue Sleeping Pill!  I haven't had consistent access to that since I divorced my first husband and that was eons ago.

Three things from which never to be moved: one's Oaths, one's Gods, and the Truth. The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty. Three candles that illuminate every darkness: Truth, Nature, and Knowledge.
liquidy
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 22, 2008, 09:54:55 pm

Religion: Natural/Green, with a love of Egyptian deities

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #71: March 12, 2008, 12:06:46 am »

Douglas Monroe's 21 Lessons of Merlyn should be treated as if the pages were laced with a particularly potent combination of Yersinia Pestis, Tularemia, Smallpox, and the worst norovirus you ever did see.

To be quite honest with you, I have never read the book. To me, from the title, it seemed more a work of fiction. I thought it was mis shelved in my local haunt.. lol..

Experiencing emptiness is also experiencing peace, and the potential of peace is its unfolding as harmony among all people, animals, plants, and things. The precepts formulate this harmony, showing how the absence of killing and stealing is the very condition of mercy and charity.
-Robert Aiken, "Mind Of Clover"
Cosima
Apprentice
Last Login:October 04, 2010, 02:11:23 pm

Religion: Lazy Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #72: March 14, 2008, 06:36:28 pm »

And for every newbie too, who else should we avoid pertaining to books/online resources/stores?

Cassandra Eason should be avoided, I feel. I've read a few books of hers and they were all complete crap. She seems to just pick a cool-sounding topic and then make up a whole bunch of hogwash about it.

I haven't read it, but this book (http://tinyurl.com/ywcg5d) looks especially bad.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #73: March 14, 2008, 07:04:42 pm »

Cassandra Eason should be avoided, I feel. I've read a few books of hers and they were all complete crap. She seems to just pick a cool-sounding topic and then make up a whole bunch of hogwash about it.

I haven't read it, but this book (http://tinyurl.com/ywcg5d) looks especially bad.

Oh, that looks bad.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #74: March 14, 2008, 08:04:58 pm »

"Everyday Practical Magic from Around the World: Gypsy Love Cards, the I Ching, Native American Medicine-wheels And Much More (Hardcover)"

Oh dear. Makes even *my eclectic head spin a bit.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.