The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 23, 2019, 10:32:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 10:32:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Other No-No aurthors?  (Read 18820 times)
Redhound666
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2008, 04:18:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: Tell You When I Have Found It ;)

The Master of the Elements Lives Forever

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #90: March 17, 2008, 01:23:19 pm »

Starhawk's The Spiral Dance
Janet and Stewart Farrar's A Witches' Bible
Vivianne Crowley's Wicca:  the Old Religion in a New Millennium
Ed Fitch's Magical Rites from the Crystal Well
Scott Cunningham's Wicca:  a Guide for the Solitary Practitioner
Ellen Cannon Reed's The Heart of Wicca

I have heard good things about Starhawk's book, however, I have picked up Scott's book, read a chapter or two then returned it to the library.

Vivianna Crowley sounds familiar and I passed over the Witches' Bible. Haven't seen the other books.

Please help my dragons grow!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jorgath
Master Member
Last Login:March 31, 2010, 12:47:37 pm

Religion: Walker of the Silver Paths (Eclectic panentheistic path)

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #91: March 17, 2008, 02:28:59 pm »

I have heard good things about Starhawk's book, however, I have picked up Scott's book, read a chapter or two then returned it to the library.

Vivianna Crowley sounds familiar and I passed over the Witches' Bible. Haven't seen the other books.

I'd recommend you retry Cunningham.  He's widely considered one of the definitive authors on solitary Wicca.

"There are some who call me...Tim."
-Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Walker of the Silver Paths

Live, love, and laugh.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #92: March 17, 2008, 02:54:19 pm »

Then you have passed over some of the definitive books of Wicca.  Whether you agree with them or not, they deserve a read.   Alot of the early books deserve a read just for the history they give (even if their history needs to be taken with a grain or ton of salt). 

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #93: March 17, 2008, 03:50:08 pm »

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I swore off spelling magic "magick" the first time I ever spelled "public" as "publick." Spelling and grammar is far more important to me than using some clever spelling Crowley came up with.

And we won't talk about the people who use "majik" or "majique". They just make my teeth hurt.

I know a stage magician (for ren faires) who goes by "Zinger, the Magick", but pronounces 'magick' as 'majique'.....his presentation is hilarious and most excellently done.  Knowing hime I'd say he's making fun of all the different spellings too.....
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 15, 2019, 07:59:18 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #94: March 17, 2008, 04:08:53 pm »

And we won't talk about the people who use "majik" or "majique". They just make my teeth hurt.
Only your teeth?  Is it possible that I'm more cranky than you about silly usages?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #95: March 17, 2008, 06:25:35 pm »

Only your teeth?  Is it possible that I'm more cranky than you about silly usages?

Sunflower

Heh...yeah, but you gotta remember, I don't do magic (or any of the weirdass spellings available), so I really don't have a dog in that fight.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 15, 2019, 07:59:18 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #96: March 18, 2008, 03:25:57 pm »

Heh...yeah, but you gotta remember, I don't do magic (or any of the weirdass spellings available), so I really don't have a dog in that fight.
I thought of that while I was posting, but darned if I could remember for sure that you didn't do magic at all, so I figured it was easier not to bring that angle up.  But, yes, I figured that probably was the difference.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #97: July 02, 2010, 06:12:32 pm »

I just got a Magick book for my birthday. It's "The Complete Book of Spells, Ceremonies, and Magic" by Migene Gonzalez-Wippler, and I was wondering if she too is just fluff?

And for every newbie too, who else should we avoid pertaining to books/online resources/stores?

Any good books etc, etc, etc? About any subject of Paganism?

I was just wondering...  Grin

I read that one. She claimed Artemis was Celtic. *eyeroll* There were a lot of flaws in it, I thought.

Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #98: July 05, 2010, 06:23:57 pm »

I just got a Magick book for my birthday. It's "The Complete Book of Spells, Ceremonies, and Magic" by Migene Gonzalez-Wippler, and I was wondering if she too is just fluff?

And for every newbie too, who else should we avoid pertaining to books/online resources/stores?

Any good books etc, etc, etc? About any subject of Paganism?

I was just wondering...  Grin

It took me a lot of reading various authors before I realized that just because an author is "fluffy" does not mean that one cannot learn from them, even if it is just to see what is out there.  Sometimes even the fluffy ones have occasional titles worth having.  For example, I am not a Silver Ravenwolf fan, but I did like her "A Witch's Notebook".  Her herbal section was and is helpful when it comes to blending herbs. 
Cybella
Master Member
Last Login:January 23, 2011, 10:38:37 pm

Religion: Hearthwitch

Cybella Mathúin

Blog entries (0)

mensachick mensachickie

Ignore
« Reply #99: July 06, 2010, 03:38:14 am »

It took me a lot of reading various authors before I realized that just because an author is "fluffy" does not mean that one cannot learn from them, even if it is just to see what is out there.  Sometimes even the fluffy ones have occasional titles worth having.  For example, I am not a Silver Ravenwolf fan, but I did like her "A Witch's Notebook".  Her herbal section was and is helpful when it comes to blending herbs. 

I agree with that, I do a lot of rewritting of things.  If I can go to a book, even a bad one, and get kind of a "bare bones" ritual or spell and then rewrite it for my own purposes to me a book would be worth it.  But, that said, I have been in this long enough to separate the good info from the crap (mostly). 

And thanks guys, this thread has extended my reading list exponentially.  I thank you, my bank account not so much Smiley.  As I'm really stuck as a solitary (weird work schedule) for at least now, this site and books are my best references.

Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts, Study Hard, Be Evil!

There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.
Ronald Reagan

There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Ronald Reagan

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #100: July 06, 2010, 08:12:15 am »

It took me a lot of reading various authors before I realized that just because an author is "fluffy" does not mean that one cannot learn from them, even if it is just to see what is out there. 

In general terms, and in theory, I agree with you.  In practice, I only have so much time (and brainpower) for reading, and a long list of non-fluff that I'd like to work through.  I can't justify wasting time or energy on stuff I know is mostly (or know is likely to be mostly) crap in the hopes that there will be some lesson buried in it, or in hopes that this book will be more useful than everything else written by an author with a reputation for churning out fluff.  In other words, I'm sure there's something worthwhile there, but the fluff is just never going to be high enough on my priority list to actually get around to reading it.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.