The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 29, 2020, 01:52:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 01:52:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Homegrown Solstice Traditions  (Read 7848 times)
Tj
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2009, 01:36:26 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Daoist Shaman (I also associate the various spirits with their khemetic names).

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 07, 2007, 05:38:46 pm »

I'm thinking of staying up all night too, but I'm not sure how I'm going to entertain myself.  14 hours and 59 minutes in the dark! 

15 hours or anime/TV sounds plausible to me!

Quote from: see above
I was thinking candles instead of lightbulbs, but hmm, you're right, sleep might win that way.

I'm a recovering hypersomniac, so I know the feeling. I'm used to fighting sleep by now. 2 years as a hypersomniac does that to you!
-Tj
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:42:19 pm by Tj » Logged

The earth is my home
the universe my temple
and nature: my god.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 10, 2007, 10:01:11 am »

I'm thinking of staying up all night too, but I'm not sure how I'm going to entertain myself.  14 hours and 59 minutes in the dark! 

After thinking more on the subject, I'm not sure if I see the reason for me to stay up all night.  Taking a peek out my window, it seems that much of nature is sleeping.  Why fight nature?!

A question for those of you who do celebrate, what exactly is it about Solstice that you are celebrating?  Do you concentrate more on the dark aspect (longest night of the year) or the light aspect of the Sun 'returning'?

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
LillyLiveredLilim
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 20, 2009, 06:49:33 pm

Religion: Unclear

Yellow Streaked

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: December 10, 2007, 10:59:58 am »

After thinking more on the subject, I'm not sure if I see the reason for me to stay up all night.  Taking a peek out my window, it seems that much of nature is sleeping.  Why fight nature?!

I hadn't thought of it that way before.  Hmm.

A question for those of you who do celebrate, what exactly is it about Solstice that you are celebrating?  Do you concentrate more on the dark aspect (longest night of the year) or the light aspect of the Sun 'returning'?

I'm not sure if I'm celebrating or making the best of a solemn observance.  It seems I never have just one answer to questions about my religion!  On the one hand, our family is closely linked to bears in the form of our Gods and otherwise.  Not being bears ourselves, we don't hibernate at all, but one night of the year we hole ourselves up in what amounts to a token hibernation.  Another way to look at it is this: During this time period everything is sleeping.  Our Gods, the woods, everyone else, and now even the sun are sleeping.  If every last thing fell asleep, would the world continue to exist or would it dissipate?  Sounds silly, I'm sure, but we hold a vigil to maintain continuity.  Just in case.  And because having a feast complete with Christmas crackers is fun!
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: December 10, 2007, 12:08:08 pm »

Why I stay up (other than, I'm a night owl and happy to have a nice virtuous excuse Cheesy), is for awareness of it.  (I usually do a - much shorter of course - all-night vigil for Midsummer, too.)

As far as I recall, I didn't get the idea from anywhere, but thought it up myself just as what made sense to me for Yule/Midsummer.  (Well, I absorbed the idea of all-night vigils generally, from hither and yon, but applying it to solstices was my own idea.)  So I just think of it as one possible way that someone could mark the season, out of who-knows-how-many ways.  I'm always a little startled by how many other people do it.

I was going to say, "Yes," and explain that I don't really separate the two.  But I realized that, while they are inseparable for me, there's probably more emphasis on "longest night", because the "returning light" doesn't get so much attention until Brigidfeast, when it has become quite noticeable... especially since that's about the only visible "sign of spring" in these parts at the beginning of Feb.

There's other stuff with Yule, too - nuances like, not just "longest night" per se, but the implications that contains of "from here it can only get lighter".

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: December 10, 2007, 01:29:24 pm »

My response is very much like Sunflower's: I stay up all night to be aware of the length of this longest of nights as it passes. And like Sunflower, it's something I just settled on on my own as a way to mark the winter solstice.

Mostly I'm focusing on the dark aspect in my all-night vigil. I *detest* winter, but on this night, I surrender myself to it: try to revel in it, to discover things in it, to find things to enjoy about it, and celebrate it. "It" meaning not just winter, but the dark side of life, and the dark side of my own human psyche. (Note that "dark" is NOT synonymous with "evil".)

Consequently, my observance can range from solemn to raucous debauchery, depending on my mood (and the day of the week winter solstice falls on; Fridays and Saturdays, like this year, definitely tend towards the latter).

BUT there *is* an aspect pf celebrating the light returning: watching dawn the next morning, you know you've passed through the dark and gotten through it, and it only gets better from here. And the candle I burn all night long is a symbolic lifeline, I suppose; a reminder of the light at the end of the tunnel.

Another way to look at it is this: During this time period everything is sleeping.

I used to think this way, but though sleep holds sway for most of the natural world--and it certainly does from a human perspective--plenty of living things are wide awake. Owls hunting on a winter night, their prey foraging for food to survive the cold...those are just two examples off the top of my head. Mother Nature may be asleep, but She keeps one eye half open even on the coldest winter night.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: December 10, 2007, 01:30:44 pm »

15 hours or anime/TV sounds plausible to me!

It wouldn't work for me. Plunking me in front of a TV late at night when I'm tired is one of the fastest ways to get me to nod off!

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #21: December 10, 2007, 01:49:44 pm »

(Transplanting a quote from the "Solar Cycle Ritual?" thread, so as not to hijack that topic)

It's definitely fun, but a bit grueling in the final hour or two before sunrise. I usually start preparing a big celebratory breakfast around that time, which helps keep me awake.

I'm usually up 'late' the night of the 25th being santa and all, but afterwards isn't so much about celebration but solitude.  I'll sit and strum the guitar a bit, finish off whatever cookies are still laying around and stare at the fire and just kind of contemplate that in the long night of the soul, you really do have to turn away from the easy light and warmth that groups and cheer bring, and rekindle your own fires from within.  There is self soup to be made, and diluting it with others is to stifle the small embers that do the cooking.

I find myself thinking about joy coming from work, and how nice the silence between work and joy is.  In that silence I indulge my moody vices, hence the cookies and the fire.  I might spend some time sketching, or reading, or playing on forums, although in those moments I try to refrain from posting.  Late night anime fests would probably be appropriate in that equation.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #22: December 10, 2007, 04:43:26 pm »

I used to think this way, but though sleep holds sway for most of the natural world--and it certainly does from a human perspective--plenty of living things are wide awake. Owls hunting on a winter night, their prey foraging for food to survive the cold...those are just two examples off the top of my head. Mother Nature may be asleep, but She keeps one eye half open even on the coldest winter night.

Also, the skies don't sleep.  Winter is an amazing time for star-gazing because the skies tend to be crisp and clear.  Solstice is going to be very close to the full moon this year as well, so the night sky, if clear, should be just beautiful to watch. 

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: December 10, 2007, 07:31:56 pm »

So I just think of [an all-night vigil] as one possible way that someone could mark the season, out of who-knows-how-many ways.  I'm always a little startled by how many other people do it.

Since a few of us seem to be planning to stay up all night for the solstice, how about doing “Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice”?

Here’s how it would work: On the evening of Dec. 21, one of us starts a new thread with that exact title. All of us up-all-nighters will then know to go to that thread in the course of the night and share our thoughts, experiences, encouragement for those feeling groggy, etc.

The thought of a communal winter solstice vigil has always appealed to me, but I don't know anyone else here in NYC who stays up all night for it. This would be a way to have that commual feel, in a cyber way. And obviously, folks can wander in and out in the course of the long night (for example, I'll be incommunicado from about midnight to 4 AM, while I'm out dancing). If folks in Europe or Asia participate, we can even vicariously experience the longest night marching across the Northern Hemisphere.

What do you guys think?

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #24: December 10, 2007, 07:35:58 pm »

What?  No abundance of winter solstice threads? 

Well considering that I was raised Christian and am in the process of becoming a Jew, I doubt I will be much help.  Celebrating Hannukah with my son for the first time has been fun, though.

Sperran
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: December 10, 2007, 08:23:51 pm »

Since a few of us seem to be planning to stay up all night for the solstice, how about doing “Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice”?

Here’s how it would work: On the evening of Dec. 21, one of us starts a new thread with that exact title. All of us up-all-nighters will then know to go to that thread in the course of the night and share our thoughts, experiences, encouragement for those feeling groggy, etc.

I'm not able to stay up all night (or at least I can't plan for it) because I'm travelling starting the 23rd, and my sleep cycles are notoriously difficult if I try to shift them. But I am planning to be out at a Yule party on the evening, come home late, and then do my best to get up to see the sun up before dawn (and then go back to bed.)

I think it's a great idea!

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #26: December 10, 2007, 08:49:44 pm »

...there's probably more emphasis on "longest night", because the "returning light" doesn't get so much attention until Brigidfeast, when it has become quite noticeable... especially since that's about the only visible "sign of spring" in these parts at the beginning of Feb.

I agree.  I am feeling more toward "longest night" because the growing of light wont be noticeable for awhile.  It will be just as dark the following day as it was the day before.

There is something about the Sun coming up again after such a long night though, that reminds me of the human spirits' desire to survive through even the darkest times.  That to me is a good reason to celebrate the returning light.

FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #27: December 10, 2007, 08:57:09 pm »

Mostly I'm focusing on the dark aspect in my all-night vigil. I *detest* winter, but on this night, I surrender myself to it: try to revel in it, to discover things in it, to find things to enjoy about it, and celebrate it. "It" meaning not just winter, but the dark side of life, and the dark side of my own human psyche. (Note that "dark" is NOT synonymous with "evil".)

Yes!

BUT there *is* an aspect pf celebrating the light returning: watching dawn the next morning, you know you've passed through the dark and gotten through it, and it only gets better from here. And the candle I burn all night long is a symbolic lifeline, I suppose; a reminder of the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes!

You've basically said all that I've spend weeks figuring out for myself.

FierFlye
Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #28: December 10, 2007, 09:30:48 pm »

I think it's a great idea, even though I plan to get some sleep that night.

Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: December 11, 2007, 12:44:23 am »

>snip<
What do you guys think?

I think that's a great idea!

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)