The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 16, 2019, 12:55:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2019, 12:55:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Homegrown Solstice Traditions  (Read 7476 times)
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #30: December 11, 2007, 10:53:34 am »

What?  No abundance of winter solstice threads?  Were we all dutifully waiting for December only to find ourselves too busy to post?  We have to remedy this!

I知 not a morning person, so this getting up to watch the sun rise is so not going to happen. That being said, I am going to be doing my first solstice ritual as a pagan this year. I知 still ironing out details and writing what I知 going to say, but I do plan to mark the day. I just shall not be marking that day at 6:00 am. Unless the sun comes with a snooze button.

Unfortunately, I知 the only pagan in the family with my mother knowing of my religious choice, my father completely oblivious in his own world, and my brother sometimes forgetting he even has a sister. Holiday celebrations are very low key and secular. The closest to a religious symbol in my house is the angel ornament on the tree. And nobody but me gets the meaning behind the sudden influx of holly and evergreen this year. [listens to her kitty trill at the fake red bird on top of the china cabinet]

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: December 11, 2007, 11:12:15 am »

I知 not a morning person, so this getting up to watch the sun rise is so not going to happen.

I'm not a day person by any stretch of the imagination - my mom swears I've been naturally nocturnal since conception. What I do is set the clock, get up, get my coffee, and go outside (weather permitting) and sit and wait. When it's all over, I go back to bed.

[listens to her kitty trill at the fake red bird on top of the china cabinet]

ROFL There's a red bird ornament on my Christmas tree. My calico adores it. (she's a triller, too)
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #32: December 11, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »

I'm not a day person by any stretch of the imagination - my mom swears I've been naturally nocturnal since conception. What I do is set the clock, get up, get my coffee, and go outside (weather permitting) and sit and wait. When it's all over, I go back to bed.

ROFL There's a red bird ornament on my Christmas tree. My calico adores it. (she's a triller, too)

I suppose I could do that I could set my alarm for about 10 minutes before the weather people said the sun is supposed to rise, open the curtains, and sit on my bed to await the sun. [Hi Sun! Bye Sun! snore] It痴 even on a Saturday this year. I may just do it.

Yes, my kitty is awesome. The other kitty chirps at things but she has no interest in the fake animals. Pens and pencils, on the other hand, are fair game. Kill the eraser!

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: December 11, 2007, 04:53:20 pm »

Since a few of us seem to be planning to stay up all night for the solstice, how about doing 填p All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice?
I love it!

The Cauldron Cill will also be doing its group flamekeeping for solstice at that time (which doesn't necessarily involve staying up all night), but I don't see that that'd interfere.  In fact, hovering around the thread and posting about the experience/concept would fit well with the "do creative work" aspect of a flamekeeping shift (at least in terms of what kinds of things Brigid expects/approves of for me to do).

One more item for my "neo-Saturnalia" - what with my Cill shift and the group shift, Yule itself, a friend's annual Yule dinner (social more than religious, but Pagan-heavy), the full moon, and a "deity assignment" task (which is how Saturnalia came to mind - the deities pushing this are Mars Sylvanus and Epona), I have a nearly-filled week of magicoreligious-and-related stuff.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
鉄elfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: December 11, 2007, 04:54:59 pm »

I suppose I could do that I could set my alarm for about 10 minutes before the weather people said the sun is supposed to rise, open the curtains, and sit on my bed to await the sun. [Hi Sun! Bye Sun! snore]

Lol, now that sounds more like it! I may just do that, too.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: December 11, 2007, 05:11:48 pm »

It痴 even on a Saturday this year

Even better!

Yes, my kitty is awesome. The other kitty chirps at things but she has no interest in the fake animals. Pens and pencils, on the other hand, are fair game. Kill the eraser!

Ours has learned how to pull her laser pen from the pen cup. LOL
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: December 13, 2007, 05:14:54 pm »

I'd like to hear how others incorporate their newer (to most families, at least) Pagan traditions with older Christian-oriented family traditions. 

I grew up Catholic, and Christmas was always special. I have not been a Catholic for over 40 years now, but I love the holidays and my kids grew up with Yule, but one would have to look close to see the difference in our decorations or traditions from 'normal' people.

We are celebrating the Longest Night and the rebirth of the Sun, but the emphasis is on the Night. It has been the tradition since the last son moved out to have the big Solstice Eve Dinner Party on the 21st of Dec. I already have the seasonal altar up 

Yule in the studio

and the Yule log on it becomes the centerpiece at the table. In the place of it I put the cauldron, ready to go for our 'Night of Wishes" ritual. This ritual was inspired by the children book; The Night of Wishes by Michael Ende, (of Neverending Story), a delightful magical story about good triumphing over evil, ending with a spell of wishes to renew the earth and protect the environment and other good things. I read it to the kids every Yule Eve after they grew out of The Polar Express. Everyone writes wishes out for the new year on flash paper and we toss them into the flaming cauldron. The flash paper does this great ball of lighting thing and it's great fun. With each wish we drink a toast (usually the mulled mead or whatever wine the kids have brought), a blessing for our family and friends.

We decorate the Tree (alway have a tree) with lights and suns, stags, toys and apples at the party, eat till we can't move and exchange gifts. I still read a short story out loud (they still ask for the Polar Express) and as my family is musical we pull out the instruments by the keyboard and sing Joy to the World, Holly and the Ivy, Deck the Halls among others. This is the first year I will play the harp! I also have a decorated Tarot table set up and do Big Deal Readings (meaning full trappings, meditation prior, candle light only, very ritualistic Tarot) as the long night is a perfect time to ask questions and delve deep. Generally we do that right before the more raucous Wish Making.

I love to see my kids all together again, rare now they have grown, and the grandkids make it a very special time. We stay up late, often the kids sleep over after all those wish toasts  Wink but not all night. I am usually the only one up at dawn to do a short Greet the New Sun ritual. This year I will heading right out after the ritual to the Dickens Fair to enjoy the show with my friends, and exchange a few gifts there.
Tess
Last Login:August 18, 2016, 09:37:19 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

I walk sunwise on the Path of the Spiral

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: December 16, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

I'd like to hear how others incorporate their newer (to most families, at least) Pagan traditions with older Christian-oriented family traditions. 

I'm an only pagan surrounded by varying shades of Christians excepting my own family who have never been practising anythings, by which I mean not Christian, but do enjoy the choral tradition and the harvest suppers at friends' churches.  I have no problem with our Christmas traditions because other than a blessing before dinner on the 25th and knowing that at least one person will walk down the street for the midnight choral service, Christianity plays no part on our annual celebrations. 

As for incorporating pagan traditions into the season, I don't much because my traditions are so much a part of my daily life.  I don't mean I light candles and seek divine guidance before every activity, but rather I live my life the way I believe my life as a pagan should be led.  At this time of the year, I like that people have to think about the person they are giving a gift to.  I like when strangers chat in a check-out line.  I like watching the mother of a thirteen-year-old boy give her son a kiss in the middle of a parking lot after he has spontaneously helped an stranger with a heavy bag.  I like watching when he doesn't remember to be embarassed.  I watch, I listen, I smile.  Because the dark is overly present at this time of year, it is fortunate that my favourite time during this season is the night.  It is quiet and white and cold and clear where I live and you can hear the planet and the singing of it's progress through the heavens*.   This season is, for me, the quiet of the year, in part because Christmas means time away from work and because winter here is finally here to stay and it won't let go until April.  This is my pause when I can simply "be" and listen to the heartbeat - mine, the world's, the divine's.  It centres me and grounds me like almost nothing else.  For me, I couldn't ask for anything more from a tradition.

* note "heavens" is used because it feels less infinite and clinical than "universe".

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)