The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 12, 2020, 12:07:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 12:07:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oh My Goddess. Does That Exist?  (Read 41245 times)
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #150: April 24, 2008, 01:48:27 am »

I saw this program where they hinted that the mayans (or the aztecs. i forget) may have had fighter jets.

I think I caught one where they seemed to follow the lineof reasoning that ancient civilisations couldn't possibly have made all those impressive things, like stonehenge, pyramids, etc.  So, therefore, it must have been aliens.  They only interviewed people who thought it must be aliens.

I do not understand this approach.  What can't be achieved with lots of rock and a populace you don't mind working to death? Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #151: April 24, 2008, 08:46:45 am »

I think I caught one where they seemed to follow the lineof reasoning that ancient civilisations couldn't possibly have made all those impressive things, like stonehenge, pyramids, etc.  So, therefore, it must have been aliens.  They only interviewed people who thought it must be aliens.

Erich von Däniken is still selling books, so this doesn't surprise me. Supposedly he has one out now about aliens in ancient Greece. I haven't been about to bring myself to actually check into it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #152: April 24, 2008, 11:39:59 am »

I am too. I think if any of my astral friends actually physically manifested I'd freak out.

That's one of the reasons I'm dreading living on my own, especially since I want to live in the country. (At least I have my dog. :p )

I don't really believe in them when I'm alone in my bedroom in the sense that I'm afraid one might turn up. It's just the thought that they could exist generally and meet me at one point in life that makes me uneasy. I mean some people are hard to deal with when they are alive, how do you deal with someone who is dead? Dead people wouldn't have jobs and obligations, so if they were determined they could just put endless energy into annoying you.  Shocked Huh I just hope ghost don't find me interesting. Wink

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #153: April 24, 2008, 03:24:53 pm »

I just hope ghost don't find me interesting. Wink

What I find interesting is that I've worked in a funeral home & cemetery for a little over three years now and I figured that if I were to have such an encounter it would be here.  I've yet to notice anything.  There've been a few nights where I've worked late and my imagination decided to climb out and have some fun after everyone else went home but even then it was less 'spooky' feeling than other offices I've worked late in.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Redhound666
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2008, 04:18:07 pm

Religion: Tell You When I Have Found It ;)

The Master of the Elements Lives Forever

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #154: April 24, 2008, 05:20:26 pm »

What I find interesting is that I've worked in a funeral home & cemetery for a little over three years now and I figured that if I were to have such an encounter it would be here.  I've yet to notice anything.  There've been a few nights where I've worked late and my imagination decided to climb out and have some fun after everyone else went home but even then it was less 'spooky' feeling than other offices I've worked late in.

I believe in ghosts. So do my parents. Because when I was a child, I would start laughing and act like I was being played with but my parents would be in another room and no one else was in the house. When they came into the room, I would hold out my hands like I wanted to be picked up, but I wasn't holding my hands to my parents, it wound be to empty air away from them. They swear to this day that the room smelled like my Grandfather's cologne. (He had died way before I was born, way before my mother met my father.) Other things happened to me as I grew up. Shadows in a lit, empty hallway, the pressure of my cat or dog jumping onto my bed when the animal was dead or when the bed was a top bunk, doors slamming into my face (causing a bloody nose). But the one that cemented the belief was when I was in a grocery store with my dad. I just happened to look behind me when this man was in the middle of the aisle dressed in a tux. I froze at the sight of him, my mind went blank, time was distorted. All he did was shake his head. I don't know why, but I looked back at my father, who had his back to me and the man. It was only for a split second, then I looked back at the man but he was gone.

Thats all I remember clearly. I knew that he wasn't alive from the second I laid eyes on him. I can't explain it.

Please help my dragons grow!
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #155: April 24, 2008, 08:32:43 pm »

Erich von Däniken is still selling books, so this doesn't surprise me. Supposedly he has one out now about aliens in ancient Greece. I haven't been about to bring myself to actually check into it.

Some idiots never give up.   Well, I shouldn't call him an idiot.  He has certainly profited greatly on the wishes to be decieved by the public.
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #156: April 24, 2008, 09:17:13 pm »

I don't really believe in them when I'm alone in my bedroom in the sense that I'm afraid one might turn up. It's just the thought that they could exist generally and meet me at one point in life that makes me uneasy. I mean some people are hard to deal with when they are alive, how do you deal with someone who is dead? Dead people wouldn't have jobs and obligations, so if they were determined they could just put endless energy into annoying you.  Shocked Huh I just hope ghost don't find me interesting. Wink

Lol. I hope ghosts don't find me interestng, either! Be and let be (Oops, I almost said 'live and let live').

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #157: April 25, 2008, 02:50:28 am »

Lol. I hope ghosts don't find me interestng, either! Be and let be (Oops, I almost said 'live and let live').
Maybe we just need to hang up a board saying 'no office hour' in invisible writing onto our doors. Wink

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #158: April 25, 2008, 08:16:09 am »

I'm not sure if anyone follows the tv series Supernatural on the CW network but last nights episode was hilarious.  Essentially they spoofed the ghost hunter shows phenomenon.  It was all the funnier for me because of our conversation here.  Here's an episode recap on tv.com.

Harry Spangler and Ed Zeddmore make a demo tape advertising the show that will change the world forever: Ghostfacers.

The Ghostfacers team investigate haunted houses and supernatural phenomena. They meet with their team, including Kenny Spruce, Ed's adopted sister Maggie, and intern Alan Corbett. Their new target is the Morton House. Every four years it becomes the most haunted place in America. Unfortunately, their initial plans are disrupted when Ed's father pulls into their garage.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Grymdycche
Journeyman
Last Login:December 09, 2009, 03:42:56 pm

Religion: Aspiring Trad Witchcraft

I never speak in absolutes ..except this one

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #159: April 25, 2008, 12:21:32 pm »

Actually that's not surprising.  Ghosts do not purportedly hang out at funeral homes and cemeteries.  If you were dead, would you want to hang out there?  Ghosts are supposed to haunt areas that are either sentimental to them (places they loved in life), or they haunt there because they feel they have some unfinished business associated with that location - often a battlefield or murder scene.  The ultimate case of obsession/compulsion!

Some idiots never give up.   Well, I shouldn't call him an idiot.  He has certainly profited greatly on the wishes to be decieved by the public.

Well, if you'll take a step backward and think about it for a bit, there are a great many "rational" people who would say the same of people who believe in magic and spirits. Wink They would think no better of many members here, and probably lump us all together with the Von Däniken fans.
I'm jus' sayin'..  it's a personal choice -  where does one draw the line between being open-minded and having exposed grey matter ready to plop out of the cranium and smack the sidewalk?   Cheesy

I'm not sure if anyone follows the tv series Supernatural on the CW network but last nights episode was hilarious.  Essentially they spoofed the ghost hunter shows phenomenon.  It was all the funnier for me because of our conversation here.  Here's an episode recap on tv.com.

That looks great!  lol  (Whether you believe or not, you gotta be able to laugh at yourself, if no one else)

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #160: April 28, 2008, 03:11:24 pm »

Watch the show all the time!  Great episode and I was so glad to see the two nerds from Season 1 make a return.  They are great for comic relief and just like last time they appeared it is before the final arc of the season.

Diannaskye
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 16, 2008, 05:41:18 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #161: May 16, 2008, 05:32:40 am »

Actually that's not surprising.  Ghosts do not purportedly hang out at funeral homes and cemeteries.  If you were dead, would you want to hang out there?  Ghosts are supposed to haunt areas that are either sentimental to them (places they loved in life), or they haunt there because they feel they have some unfinished business associated with that location - often a battlefield or murder scene.  The ultimate case of obsession/compulsion!

The spirits I've encountered in graveyards were either roamers, guardians who CHOSE to protect the place, or those who were sleeping lightly and COULD be awakened but did not HAVE to be.
Grymdycche
Journeyman
Last Login:December 09, 2009, 03:42:56 pm

Religion: Aspiring Trad Witchcraft

I never speak in absolutes ..except this one

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #162: May 16, 2008, 10:07:21 pm »

The spirits I've encountered in graveyards were either roamers, guardians who CHOSE to protect the place, or those who were sleeping lightly and COULD be awakened but did not HAVE to be.

There are the exceptions, yes.  Troy Taylor even wrote a book specifically about ghost hunting in cemeteries, taking many people in the biz by surprise. I read it last autumn.  And in fact, he mentions "gateway" (vortex)  spirits and protectors. (Good call!  Wink )

The book, if anyone is interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Haunted-Graveyards-Taylor/dp/1892523345
Also, his Guidebook for Ghost Hunters is considered by many to be the "bible" of Ghost Hunting (read that last fall too)
Amazon offers them together (as well as separately) for a discount.

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
Hannah
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2012, 03:43:34 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan (learning)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #163: May 29, 2008, 07:58:02 pm »

Recently, I have read that there are other creatures that I didn't realize existed still.

I do know, however, that the Fey, Dragons, and psychic vampires exist. But beyond that, I don't know.

So, what else is out there? Brownies? Werewolves? Vampires?

Lol. Or am I just insane?

I don't know how much I believe they physically "exist" as they are representations or manifestations in the spirit world only...  I DO believe strongly in spirits, though. Smiley

Like one, that on a lonely road     
     Doth walk in fear and dread,    
And having once turn'd round, walks on    
     And turns no more his head:    
Because he knows, a frightful fiend    
     Doth close behind him tread.

-"Rime of the Ancient Mariner," Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Artemisia
Apprentice
Last Login:October 16, 2008, 09:41:20 am

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #164: August 14, 2008, 12:09:44 pm »

Recently, I have read that there are other creatures that I didn't realize existed still.

I do know, however, that the Fey, Dragons, and psychic vampires exist. But beyond that, I don't know.

So, what else is out there? Brownies? Werewolves? Vampires?

Lol. Or am I just insane?

Brownies exsist, yes.
I'm pretty sure I saw a werewolf once.... Maybe it was an Astral dream...
And yes, vampyres do exsist. They can either be Albinos (People with white skin, hair and red eyes who, if they go out in the sun, can burn very easily due to the lack of pigment in their skin) or people who have an energy defficiency, like one of the members here mentioned earlier on.
There are a few others that exsist, adn I shall name them:
Whigmaleeries: The Scottish Cousin of a Banshee. Their scream can kill anyone who hear it within hours. Instaed of weeping the death of someone, they ride to the house of the family of the person about to die on a pure white steed and tells them face to face. They wear all black, including a black veil and just visible under the veil are their red eyes.
Banshee: AKA Irish Washerwoman who weeps the death of someone hours before it happens. The Banshee is often misunderstood. She is mourning for the family of the person who is about to die. I once heard a Banshee's scream, and a few hours later, my great Granny died peacefully in her sleep.
Valkyries: Often seen in Scandanavia and Iceland. MAidens of war who take the heroic dead to Valhalla.
Wood Elves: Tall, usually blonde (Brunette exception) with either blue or green eyes. Pale skinned. Excellent archers and horse Riders. Live in the woods far away from the human race:
Dark Elves: The exact opposite of Wood Elves. Jet black skin, silver or white hair and red eyes. Are also tall and ride horses. They usually use swords instead of bows and arrows.
Harpies: Beautiful, winged maidens at first glance. But they tend to turn into ugly faced winged monsters. They usually steal things and people.
Selkies: Seal spirits who could take human form on land. They often intermarried with mortals.
Kelpies: A shapeshifting water horse that haunted Scottish rivers. It often appeared as a horse but it could take the form of a man and leap at passers by.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)