The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 11, 2020, 10:19:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2020, 10:19:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Book - Is It Good?  (Read 6566 times)
Herne
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 03, 2013, 10:23:36 pm
United States United States

Religion: Undecided

Vagabond and Seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 06, 2007, 09:26:06 pm »

Hello!

I was looking around in the local Goodwill today and found a book called Spiral Dance by someone called Starhawk for only .75. Since it was so cheap, I went ahead and bought it. Is it any good or did I waste my money?

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.

Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.

"Seeing isn't believing. Believing is seeing."
Little Elf Judy from The Santa Clause (1994)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: December 06, 2007, 09:48:23 pm »

Completely ignore her history - she's got a big ye old matriarchy from olden days thing going.

Otherwise, though, it's an EXCELLENT book.  if I could find my copy, I'd read it again for inspiration, like I do some other books.  (unfortunately, the house ate it).

it IS feminist in slant, but it's not man-bashing.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 06, 2007, 10:03:02 pm »

Completely ignore her history - she's got a big ye old matriarchy from olden days thing going.

Otherwise, though, it's an EXCELLENT book.  if I could find my copy, I'd read it again for inspiration, like I do some other books.  (unfortunately, the house ate it).

Spiral Dance was my very first witchy book way back in the day. Still love it. Love going to Reclaiming events. It is very No. CA. flavor tradition.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: December 06, 2007, 10:17:16 pm »

I was looking around in the local Goodwill today and found a book called Spiral Dance by someone called Starhawk for only .75. Since it was so cheap, I went ahead and bought it. Is it any good or did I waste my money?

As Shadow said, ignore the history. It's bad. Ignore some of the feminist stuff uif it seems a bit excessive in places, but most of the rest of the info is good. The exercises are EXCELLENT. They are worth the cost of the book by themselves.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 06, 2007, 11:13:24 pm »

As Shadow said, ignore the history. It's bad. Ignore some of the feminist stuff uif it seems a bit excessive in places, but most of the rest of the info is good. The exercises are EXCELLENT. They are worth the cost of the book by themselves.

Ditto what Shadow and Randall have said.  It does get a bit heavy-handed with the feminist perspective (nothing wrong with that per se, just a little one-sided IMO), but don't let that dissuade you. On the whole, it's definitely worth keeping a copy around.  I'd say you found an excellent buy!

Harken
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 10, 2008, 04:42:58 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 07, 2007, 01:27:32 am »

Hello!

Being a male and having read it, I didn't mind the feminism so much. I think you found a very lucky buy. Smiley Her writing style is unique and captivating, and her discussion of various topics in neopaganism are thorough and thought-provoking. Happy reading!

In perfect love and perfect trust.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 07, 2007, 08:24:09 am »

she does correect some of that history in the footnotes for the 30th anniverary edition.  but she doesn't make any actual changes to the text.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: December 07, 2007, 01:15:20 pm »

she does correect some of that history in the footnotes for the 30th anniverary edition.  but she doesn't make any actual changes to the text.

I liked some of the footnotes at the time I read the book.  You could see where she basically held her hand up to a mistake.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 09:37:09 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: December 07, 2007, 05:45:13 pm »

I liked some of the footnotes at the time I read the book.  You could see where she basically held her hand up to a mistake.
<nod> I really like that way of doing updated editions.  What has changed, how it has changed, and the reasoning behind it is all right there.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: December 07, 2007, 05:50:50 pm »

The Twentieth Anniversary edition did this as well and it was very interesting to see how her ideas had changed and why. 

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 07, 2007, 05:55:05 pm »

The Twentieth Anniversary edition did this as well and it was very interesting to see how her ideas had changed and why. 

My mistake, why I wrote thirtieth, I don't know, that one is due out in a couple years, I think. And then we can see what else gets correctsed and how her views have evolved again

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: December 07, 2007, 06:27:45 pm »

This is ironic enough that I wonder if the universe is trying to tell you something.

For almost anyone else, I'd say that'd be an excellent bargain at ten times the price.  I think that's true for you, too, but you might not think so at first.  There's quite a bit of material that relates directly to where you are currently (and is not readily found elsewhere), but a lot more that I suspect you'll be resistant to - had you, a few months down the road, posted that you were ready to revisit the M/F balance, and asked for book recommendations, this is almost certainly the book I'd have suggested.  And there's the irony:  I know from your posts that you don't think you're at that point, and, IIRC, aren't sure you'll ever want to go that route, but this could be a nudge to do so.  Take your time with it, put it aside for a while if you need to, but don't give up on it altogether; I think it may have things you need.  (Cue the Rolling Stones here.)

I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, since you're quite new to TC and I don't really know you yet; I'm going by the content of a half-dozen or so posts, and may be reading too much into this.  But you have put a fair bit of yourself into those posts, and the personal issues you've spoken of relate fairly directly to some of the content of the book.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: December 07, 2007, 06:33:58 pm »

My mistake, why I wrote thirtieth, I don't know, that one is due out in a couple years, I think. And then we can see what else gets correctsed and how her views have evolved again
I wondered about that; I thought it was kind of early (it should be '09).

Sunflower

saxnot
Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 11:09:07 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 06, 2008, 09:25:53 am »

Hello!

First book I ever read on the subject of any kind of paganism, and I'd say it's a really good introduction and actually includes a number of really good rituals. The politics may not appeal to everyone, but I certainly learned a lot from it. Hell, I went out and bought her book "Truth or Dare". Afterwards. That, I wouldn't recommend quite so much. That's some really radical feminism right there.

Baba Nam Kevalam.
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 06, 2008, 01:42:06 pm »

First book I ever read on the subject of any kind of paganism, and I'd say it's a really good introduction and actually includes a number of really good rituals. The politics may not appeal to everyone, but I certainly learned a lot from it. Hell, I went out and bought her book "Truth or Dare". Afterwards. That, I wouldn't recommend quite so much. That's some really radical feminism right there.

Well, truth or Dare is political, not religious.  Starhawk sort of falls off the left end of the universe.  And I doubt she's nonradiacal about anything.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)