The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 15, 2019, 01:07:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2019, 01:07:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Merging Several Religions Into One?  (Read 5803 times)
Letheus
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2011, 10:16:36 am
United States United States

Religion: Seeker while leaning more towards Wicca:)

He did WHAT with the Sage?0.o

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 10, 2007, 01:36:09 pm »

Is it possible to take bits and pieces from each religion that feels right to u and merge them together to from a different religion? Like i find myself believeing a lot of the Wiccan ways while im still a bit drawn to some christian teachings....Also there are a couple other religions that I find feel right to me......Can I have some advice please?

As long as you do what feels right, you can do no wrong.

Do what thou wilt but harm none!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: December 10, 2007, 01:44:20 pm »

Is it possible to take bits and pieces from each religion that feels right to u and merge them together to from a different religion? Like i find myself believeing a lot of the Wiccan ways while im still a bit drawn to some christian teachings....Also there are a couple other religions that I find feel right to me......Can I have some advice please?

It sounds like you might want to look into eclecticism--which is not a religion in and of itself, but a way of approaching religion.  We probably have several threads about it around here, and I know there are multiple people here who draw on more than one religion who might be able to help you out.  The idea is to take what speaks to you from all different sources, and put the pieces together into a whole that's meaningful to you.  The one thing I would caution you about is that it's entirely too easy to do this in a way that winds up not making a lot of sense, if you just throw everything that sounds good together without thinking it through.  I would advise that you think carefully about how everything fits together before adding any new "piece", in order to give yourself a good solid foundation to build on.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Letheus
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 10, 2007, 02:00:17 pm »

The one thing I would caution you about is that it's entirely too easy to do this in a way that winds up not making a lot of sense, if you just throw everything that sounds good together without thinking it through.  I would advise that you think carefully about how everything fits together before adding any new "piece", in order to give yourself a good solid foundation to build on.

I was actually thinking the same thing...I mean it would look kind of weird if i took from christianity that I believe gays are unholy but then took from another religion that it is fine to be gay......Whta I mean is is I think I should put pieces into this new path that are not contradicting...but thats just me

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 12:41:51 am

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: December 10, 2007, 02:50:36 pm »

Can I have some advice please?

Have a look at the essay I wrote for TC on eclecticism, paying close attention to the first part (things people mess up):  http://www.ecauldron.com/eclecticism.php

Any eclectic approach is improved by in-depth understanding of all the pieces you're dealing with.  If something looks shiny to you, don't just snag it -- have a look at how it works, and how it works in the context of its place of origin.

Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 10, 2007, 05:29:38 pm »

Of course it's possible, just be sure to know what and where you are taking from, and don't call it something it's not. Other than that, I don't see why not. Whatever helps you find happiness or spiritual truth.
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 10, 2007, 06:34:42 pm »

Can I have some advice please?

I'll second the points that Darkhawk and Star have already made.  It's quite easy to pick and choose bits of different belief systems.  Where you'll have to do some work is in making the puzzle pieces fit together into something coherent and sensible. 

You might want to start with a framework of what's spiritually important to you.  Write down the things that you want to get out your selected path.... enlightenment, contact with the divine, greater sense of humanity, whatever is important to you.  That will give you a skeletal foundation to start from.  As you pick up aspects of various religions that appeal to you, the key is to determine if they will fit into your basic framework.  This is not always as easy as it seems and requires you to really think through the concepts that you're about to embrace.  Not always easy, but well worth the effort.

Tj
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2009, 01:36:26 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Daoist Shaman (I also associate the various spirits with their khemetic names).

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 10, 2007, 09:31:06 pm »

I'll second the points that Darkhawk and Star have already made.  It's quite easy to pick and choose bits of different belief systems.  Where you'll have to do some work is in making the puzzle pieces fit together into something coherent and sensible. 

You might want to start with a framework of what's spiritually important to you.  Write down the things that you want to get out your selected path.... enlightenment, contact with the divine, greater sense of humanity, whatever is important to you.  That will give you a skeletal foundation to start from.  As you pick up aspects of various religions that appeal to you, the key is to determine if they will fit into your basic framework.  This is not always as easy as it seems and requires you to really think through the concepts that you're about to embrace.  Not always easy, but well worth the effort.

o yeah, that took me 7 years. Well, mainly because I was missing certain religions (like all pagan and similar religions) so there was a whole bunch of stuff that did not make any sense. Or that I wanted to put in but, did not know how. Once I ran into paganism (consequently shamanism), then Daoism it took about 6-7 months.

Here is a link to another post where I go into it in more detail in case anyone cares. I am thinking of doing a essay type thing where I go into it in more detail, just for the fun of it, my hope is that it will help someone. Possibly on my website, I don't know yet!

-Tj
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:33:41 pm by Tj, Reason: link to URL » Logged

The earth is my home
the universe my temple
and nature: my god.
Tj
Journeyman
Last Login:May 10, 2009, 01:36:26 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Daoist Shaman (I also associate the various spirits with their khemetic names).

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 10, 2007, 09:40:41 pm »

Have a look at the essay I wrote for TC on eclecticism, paying close attention to the first part (things people mess up):  http://www.ecauldron.com/eclecticism.php

Any eclectic approach is improved by in-depth understanding of all the pieces you're dealing with.  If something looks shiny to you, don't just snag it -- have a look at how it works, and how it works in the context of its place of origin.

Like he said, it is very important that you understand where you are taking an idea from. And generally have a feel of things before incorporating it, sometimes I found something that made sense at first glance did not at all, after a lot of introspection. I also find that religions that are already structured and have stood the test of time, can offer a lot in terms of "ideas for blueprints" after all it worked for them! After having built a "foundation" I looked around for existing religions whose foundations had some common parts with mine. I usually looked at how that religion built on the part of the foundation that is similar to mine, sometimes it gave me ideas. This is how encountering Paganistic religions helped me. My foundation had "nature is important to this all somehow" in there, Pagan religions had that in their foundation too, so I looked at how each of them built on that, it helped me figure out how to do mine!

Most importantly, if it doesn't feel right don't go with it. And MAKE SURE that any ideas you take from a religion you take because, you TRULY believe in them even after much scrutiny, and not because everyone around you says it's true. It's very important to segregate your beliefs from the beliefs that others put in you. It's a fine line, yes, but there is a difference in many cases.

Last but not least be respectful of the religions you are borrowing from, each have their own gods, "masters", priests, followers etc. NONE OF WHOM you would normally want to offend. After all it's not nice, you borrowed from them, you owe them at least some respect!

Of course I am by NO MEANS an expert, I have just done this before. So, good luck; you'll need it (your in for the ride of your life!). And hope you succeed in your spiritual quest!

-Tj.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:56:26 pm by Tj » Logged

The earth is my home
the universe my temple
and nature: my god.
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 11, 2007, 09:07:28 am »

Just want to play a bit of a Devil's Advocate since you have received several eclectic viewpoints.  Many believe that no, you can't take pieces from different religions and merge them.  When you remove something from one religion, you lose the meaning.  And when you try to merge religions that are normally very different (if not opposites), then you have neither, but something that is disrespectful of both (and perhaps offensive to both).

Then again, you can do whatever you want since the religion police will not be coming for you and nobody can stop you.  Just remember that not everyone will agree with what you are doing.  Not only the usual people that have different religions, but those that you have "borrowed" from.
guineith
Journeyman
Last Login:February 21, 2008, 09:42:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: druidic pantheist

It is possible if you think it is possible

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 11, 2007, 10:33:03 am »

Then again, you can do whatever you want since the religion police will not be coming for you and nobody can stop you.  Just remember that not everyone will agree with what you are doing.  Not only the usual people that have different religions, but those that you have "borrowed" from.
Yup, I can definitely relate to that. It's not just upsetting the people that you have to worry about, either. Remember that religion is not a hobby. The Gods are real beings, and some of them are immortal foes. For instance, blending Christianity and Middle Eastern mystical beliefs often works well-same roots and all. Christianity and Shamanism can be merged, however, trying to be a Christian Satanist probably will not work. Those two just will not agree!

If you are a Christian Shaman/Magi/Wiccan you will almost definitely be shunned by your local church. "All pagans are going to Hell", you see. Actually, you will probably get more understanding from the Pagan side. I would consider my path to be a druidic/shamanistic one, yet I am a follower of Jesus too, immersion baptised and everything. I say to Him, "Well, if you didn't reject the Maji, you won't reject me." When I'm around Christians, I just keep my pagan leanings carefully hid, because I know they won't understand, and all I'll get is a three hour sermon of how I should repent or burn. My pagan friends know that Jesus is my God, (the Earth Mother being my Goddess), and it is not an issue for them. Mind you, my Jesus is a very pagan friendly guy! He turns water into wine, just like Bacchus did, and like Bacchus was crucified for all the good he did. Like Osiris, he was raised to life by the tears and devotion of his beloved, and like Krishna, he urges us to do what we must, even if our very blood kin are opposed to us.

No ancient tradition is without wisdom, if you can take wisdoms from various sources and successfully assimilate them, then you will benefit from the process.

The wind was a raging torrent
Rushing through the trees
The Moon was a ghostly galleon
Tossed upon stormy seas
The road was a silver ribbon
Across the Purple moor
And the Highwayman came riding, riding,
riding
The Highwayman came riding
Up to the old inn door...
Alfred Noyes "The Highwayman"
AlfrFiter5
Apprentice
Last Login:December 12, 2007, 08:54:06 pm
Greece Greece

Religion: Searching for One

We are all One

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 11, 2007, 06:11:30 pm »

I find myself doing this many times, but as others said, do not try to combine complete opposites. It doesn't work!

Maybe you could try looking into the Ba'hai faith? It is one of the main religions of the world that did exactly this, combine faiths. All of the great prophets of the world, i.e., Jesus, Abraham, Moses, Zoroaster, Muhammad, Krishna.... and many beleifs are their religion. 

"Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell. I was alone, forgotten, without escape on the hard horn on the world."
J.R.R. Tolkien
Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 11, 2007, 07:01:28 pm »

It's not just upsetting the people that you have to worry about, either. Remember that religion is not a hobby. The Gods are real beings, and some of them are immortal foes.

I suppose I have a different point of view.  For me, religion is a hobby.  It has never been any deeper or more meaningful to me than working with my animals, doing mosaic, hiking, or any of the other activities I do for enjoyment and personal wellbeing.

It wouldn’t be terribly upsetting to me if I could no longer “practice.”  The here-and-now, the life and the people around me are of much more importance than any god or goddess could ever be.  Perhaps I don’t truly believe, or understand.  Or perhaps there really is nothing more than what I perceive: a fascinating subject, but one that is not inherently more valuable or worthwhile than any other.   
Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 12, 2007, 02:48:45 am »

For me, religion is a hobby.

I feel somewhat the same way. I love to read and research and learn new things, but I'm not currently practising as such other than the occasional candle and meditation, and some prayer-work (generally right before falling asleep in bed). Researching religion is something of a hobby of mine, and while I do have my spiritual beliefs, I'm still working on just how deep they run.

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 12, 2007, 06:40:26 pm »

Just remember that not everyone will agree with what you are doing.  

This is true of ANY religious or spiritual path that you choose for yourself.  There will always be someone who will not agree with your choice.  It's a good thing to keep in mind if you're going to be "out" about your personal beliefs, but it should never be a deterrent to keep you from seeking your own path. 

Something to consider about eclecticism that isn't always mentioned:  We may piece together our overall spirituality from different sources, but many of us did not chose the deities who set us on our path.  They choose us (also known as being tapped or thwapped by a deity).  The "traditional" practices associated with our deity may not be either possible or workable for us.  We may find that they are not spiritually fulfilling in the way that we need them to be.  So we hobble together our own spiritual practices and beliefs in a way that are meaningful to us and acceptable to our gods.  If someone else has an issue with that, I always welcome them to take it up with my deity.  She's never had an issue with the way I've chosen to serve her and she is the ultimate authority for me.  It's Her that I ultimately answer to, not my critics and not Her other followers. 

Letheus
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 14, 2007, 01:50:57 am »

Maybe you could try looking into the Ba'hai faith? It is one of the main religions of the world that did exactly this, combine faiths. All of the great prophets of the world, i.e., Jesus, Abraham, Moses, Zoroaster, Muhammad, Krishna.... and many beleifs are their religion. 

I will inquire about this...as it is im so confused about religion right now....i mean ill tell you guys right now...Wicca interests me mainly the magical and one with nature part of it...I actually believe there is a god and a goddess...but beyond that i am confused...and for some of you others that have read my other posts you can attest to how confused i am... Embarrassed Sad

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)