The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 12:19:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 12:19:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fun Recipes for Losing Weight  (Read 8552 times)
amandathehunter
Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2008, 08:01:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: Reformed Celtic Reconstructionist

Saving the World, one Campaign at a time.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 12, 2007, 10:43:51 pm »

Heya! I'm wanting some new recipes that are low-fat, etc. All the recipes I have are my mother's southern fried food and german food. I am on a budget, as a single mom, so anything that's not overly expensive is great too.

Thanks for any help you have!

"Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Origins Unknown

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Enchanted Spirit
Journeyman
Last Login:March 26, 2008, 11:16:10 am

Religion: Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 13, 2007, 12:25:12 am »

Heya! I'm wanting some new recipes that are low-fat, etc. All the recipes I have are my mother's southern fried food and german food. I am on a budget, as a single mom, so anything that's not overly expensive is great too.

One way that I lost weight is to never eat fast food or junk food. I also stay clear of too many carbs.  I maintain a healthy diet of fruits, veggies, protein, and vitamins.  I never drink sodas or eat anything with sugar (if I need to sweeten something I use Xylitol). A year and a half ago I lost over 55 pounds and I've kept it off.  I also notice with my new diet, I don't get sick anymore. I've saved a ton of money by just not hitting the fast food joints and the junk food isles (and since I've quit eating it all, my kids have too).   Wink
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: December 13, 2007, 07:48:57 am »

Beans are your friend.  Smiley  Canned beans are quicker and easier, but more expensive; dry beans, if you have the time to deal with them, are cheap.  (And if you have a crock pot, you have the time to deal with them.  I think it was Brina who posted this method a while back...  Soak the beans overnight in the crock pot (add lots of water for this, they really soak it up).  In the morning, drain them, then add boiling water to cover and any seasonings you feel like putting in.  Then just cook on low for 12-24 hours.  Works beautifully and takes almost no time or effort on your part.)  Pair them with rice (also cheap and easy) for a complete, low-fat protein.

My favorite bean recipe, which is quick and easy and healthy as all get-out:

Dressed-Up Red Beans and Rice

1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil, plus a little more for sauteeing
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 bell pepper (any color), chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
3 Tbsp sugar
black pepper to taste
1/3 cup vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar, but white is OK too)
1 can (or about 1 3/4 to 2 cups cooked) red beans such as kidney beans
2 cups chopped kale (about 4 good-sized leaves)
cooked rice (I like short-grain brown rice, but use whatever you like)

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat.  Add a small amount of oil, then the onion, peppers, and garlic.  Cook for about 3 minutes until onion and bell pepper are soft.  Add sugar, pepper, vinegar, and the 1 1/2 Tbsp oil and allow to come to a boil.  Add the beans and cook another 3 minutes until warmed through.  Add the kale and cook for another 3 minutes.  The kale should be slightly wilted, but still bright green, not brown.  Serve over rice.

This is supposed to make 4 servings, but as an entree Hubby and I have found it works better as two servings.  You might be able to eliminate the oil that goes in with the vinegar; I'm not sure.  I've never tried it.  It's a fairly small amount, though, especially if you split this into four rather than two servings.

Another low-fat, very filling, and relatively inexpensive idea:  Boil up a bunch of angelhair (cappelini, which I may have spelled wrong) pasta.  Open a can of diced tomatoes with garlic and basil (sometimes called Italian style; get the finely chopped ones if you want to be fancy).  Heat the tomatoes up, dump them in with the pasta and mix it all together.  You could probably add a simple salad with a little honey mustard dressing (equal parts honey and plain yellow mustard) for not much more expense, very little in the way of extra calories, practically no extra fat, and a lot of extra nutrition.  (Just try to avoid iceberg lettuce if you can, though; there's no nutritional value in it.)  You could also do a variations on this with different kinds of pasta, different kinds of tomatoes, etc.

One of my favorite healthy breakfast/lunch dishes is fresh fruit (whatever you like and is in-season and therefore halfway affordable; you could probably use canned or frozen if you need to), nonfat yogurt, and granola.  (The granola you do have to watch because the fat content can get high, but if all else fails, just fruit and yogurt is yummy and filling too, or use a low-fat healthy cereal that you like.)

The big thing I've found when dieting, too, is to watch portion size.  Eat too much of anything and it doesn't matter how healthy it is, you'll still gain weight.  (Also remember that healthy does not necessarily mean low-calorie, and vice versa.)

I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I hit Post; if I do, I'll post back in with them.  Smiley  I've rambled enough for now, though.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
amandathehunter
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 13, 2007, 12:05:46 pm »

<snip>

OOh, thanks so much. I may have to try something else on the yogurt front, i'm not really a fan, but i'm sure ill find something. that kind of stuff is what i'm looking for.

"Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Origins Unknown
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: December 13, 2007, 12:55:54 pm »

OOh, thanks so much. I may have to try something else on the yogurt front, i'm not really a fan, but i'm sure ill find something. that kind of stuff is what i'm looking for.

You're welcome!  I'm not a big fan of yogurt all on its own either, but the fruit sweetens and flavors it and the granola gives it a different texture and body that I like.  (In the fruit department, I especially recommend grapes, apples, and pears, all of which are sweet enough to balance out the yogurt and mix pretty well with it.)  I'd encourage you to try it once like this; you may find you like the flavor combination more than the yogurt on its own.  (Or you may not.  But you never know until you try!  Smiley )

Another one I thought of:  Stir fry.  You can use any combination of veggies, fresh or frozen (though I'm not sure canned would do as well here), that you like, and any meat (or not) that you like.  Just fry it all up in a small amount of oil in a skillet (assuming, like me, you don't have a proper wok) until everything's cooked through and serve over rice.  Experiment with adding things like soy sauce or various vinegars in the last few minutes of cooking if you want a little extra flavor.  Smiley

Oh, and if you want something sweet you could do homemade applesauce.  Basically you just peel and core a couple of apples, cut them in half, put them in a baking dish and drizzle with a touch of honey.  Don't overdo it, the apples are sweet already and more sweetener=more calories.  (You could add some spices here if you wanted, too--I like cinnamon, nutmeg, and just a touch of clove and cardamom--but you don't have to.)  Then stick 'em in the oven until they're good and mushy.  Once that's happened, all you have to do is mash them up in a bowl.  (If you like your applesauce thinner, you can add some apple juice here, or brandy if you want a more adult taste.)  Serve hot or cold.  You can also apply the same roasting principal to a lot of fruit, with or without the mashing at the end.

I'm trying to think what else I ate regularly when I was losing weight...  Oatmeal is a good breakfast, though unfortunately my favorite recipe calls for cream (not so healthy!).  I've tried substituting milk as far down as 2% and it just doesn't work, it comes out all watery and nasty.  Instant oatmeal isn't as nutritious as, say, steel-cut oats, but it's not bad either, just not as good.  Wink  Adding dried fruit helps give it some interest.

I need to go look back through my blog, I know I've posted a few ideas and recipes there.  Maybe back with more in a bit.  "Good food on a diet" is a topic I can (obviously) go on and on and on about if you let me.  Grin

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: December 13, 2007, 01:45:40 pm »

I need to go look back through my blog, I know I've posted a few ideas and recipes there.  Maybe back with more in a bit.  "Good food on a diet" is a topic I can (obviously) go on and on and on about if you let me.  Grin

Here we go again...  An unfortunate amount of people will probably wince at this first recipe, but--well, notes after the recipe itself.

Homemade Veggie Burgers

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked long-grain (MUST be long-grain) brown rice, preferably warm
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons chili powder, more, to taste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, more, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)

Mix all ingredients in food processor and pulse until well-mixed and mostly smooth. If using cold rice, especially if it has been stored in the refrigerator, you may need to add 1-2 Tbsp of water to moisten the mixture.

Divide mixture into 6 balls. Form each ball into a thick patty. (This is easier if you wet your hands first.)

Fry burgers in a skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (or lightly greased). Cook until browned on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.

Notes:  OK, I know.  But veggie burgers taste a lot better if you don't expect them to replace meat burgers.  If you're expecting the taste of beef, yes, they will disappoint.  But if you just let their own flavor come through, you might find they're better than expected.  And they're healthy and making them at home is pretty cheap and easy.  With this one, I like to just cook up what we need right then and freeze the rest  for later, which for Hubby and me means a couple of meals down the road that cost us next to nothing ('cause we already have them) and require next to no effort.

Generic diet advice:  I encourage you to try things you've avoided in the past because you don't think you like them, perhaps prepared differently than you've had them before.  This was one thing that helped me when I was dieting; it gave me a lot of variety, let me have some fun experimenting, and really changed how I thought about some foods.  (Like sweet potatoes and beets.  I was convinced I hated them both.  Tried them again, cooked differently, and found I kind of liked them, actually.  Seriously, keep the damned marshmallows away from them and the sweet potatoes improve a thousandfold.)  Be adventurous.  Smiley

Also, don't forget to allow yourself some indulgence sometimes.  Some people can be on a diet 100% of the time and never ever ever break it...  I don't know about you, but I'm not one of them.  Remember that eating an ice cream sundae or a piece of pie here or there is not going to (in most cases) completely kill your attempts to lose weight.  The key is just to make those indulgences actual treats, for special occasions and rare times when you just HAVE to, rather than everyday things.  Wink  And if you indulge once in a while, you'll probably be less stressed about the diet and therefore more likely to stick close to it the rest of the time.

OK, I think that (finally) exhausts my advice on the subject for the moment, LOL.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

amandathehunter
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 14, 2007, 01:56:39 am »

So, here's what i had for dinner tonight, in case anyone else is looking for diet-y type recipes too.

a Chicken breast, marinated in olive oil and red wine, grilled
3/4 bowl of romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
handful of baby carrots
handful of celery
red wine vinaigrette dressing.

it was good, if a little wine-y.

I don't have the beans, or the rice, but they're on my shopping list. While I am a meat eater (i'm sorry... but it's so good...) i don't mind trying vegetarian recipes.

Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 14, 2007, 04:19:53 am »

Hey, my mum recently overhauled her diet (with good results) so i thought id add my two cents. Mum put herself on the CSIRO total well-being diet, and it has some really sound nutrition advice (plus loads of really great recipes). www.csiro.au/science/Twd.html

I really like making salads with the meat added to them.. Greek salads with cucumber, olives, feta, tomato and red onion go really well with lamb f'ex.

I also love watermelon salad like this one www.abc.net.au/northcoast/stories/s1575363.htm...

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: December 14, 2007, 06:37:26 am »

A thought, if you're trying to diet -

Cut the meat up, and have smaller portions.  Not a whole chicken breast, but maybe two-thirds, and have the rest as leftovers or something.

It's easy to over-eat when you have entire pieces of meat.  chopping it up makes it look like more.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: December 14, 2007, 07:29:06 am »

It's easy to over-eat when you have entire pieces of meat.

Especially here in the US, where we seem to have gotten this "bigger is better" attitude.  It seems like I can never find chicken breasts anymore that aren't, like, half a pound each.  Which is ridiculous.  (Of course, this is still better than going to a restaurant and ordering chicken, where you often get the whole breast instead of what we've come to commonly refer to as a "chicken breast", which is really half a breast.)

Also, if you use less it will stretch farther, giving you more meals for your dollar.  Which is important if you're on a budget, with the price of meat these days.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 14, 2007, 07:44:49 am »

I am trying to loose a few myself these days. Like everyone else said, I cut out the junk and sweets (hard at the holidays  Sad ) and just eat smaller portions in general. I also try to stay away from restaurants altogether. And as much as I absolutely hate it - exercise.

Weight Watchers has a good site with some good recipes (like baked onion rings instead of fried):

http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/index.aspx

Good luck!
Allstar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2009, 03:05:02 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 15, 2007, 06:03:25 am »

Homemade Veggie Burgers

I am totally going to try making these!!  Cheesy

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 15, 2007, 12:45:18 pm »

I am totally going to try making these!!  Cheesy

they do look really good. I think my so-called vegetarian daughter (who does not eat any vegetables except french fries and raw carrots) would even like it.

some lower carb ideas-
Use spinach or swiss chard or spaghetti squash or broccoli instead of pasta, when you make pasta dishes. As a working mom who does 99% of the cooking, I have to make a lot of spaghetti when I need dinner on the table in 15 minutes, but using a substantial veg under whatever sauce and protein is a fast and filling alternative to pasta.

Make sandwiches by wrapping cheese, meat and whatever else in a big lettuce leaf. Crunchy wonderful.

The south beach cookbook has some really good recipes, too.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 15, 2007, 01:01:45 pm »

The south beach cookbook has some really good recipes, too.

Ooo, I second this recommendation. And there isn't one cookbook, there are at least three of them, all very good.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Ravendas
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 01, 2008, 09:22:19 am

Religion: Pantheistic Agnostic w/ Pagan Leanings

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 15, 2007, 07:07:33 pm »

Here we go again...  An unfortunate amount of people will probably wince at this first recipe, but--well, notes after the recipe itself.

Thanks for all the great recipes and ideas! I'm definitely going to try a few!

Notes:  OK, I know.  But veggie burgers taste a lot better if you don't expect them to replace meat burgers.  If you're expecting the taste of beef, yes, they will disappoint.  But if you just let their own flavor come through, you might find they're better than expected. 

I keep trying to tell my hubby this, but he still refuses to even think about eating veggie burgers. Sad

Whether we name divine presence synchronicity, serendipity, or graced moment matters little. What matters is the reality that our hearts have been understood. Nothing is as real as a healthy dose of magic which restores our spirits.
Nancy Long

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)