The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 14, 2019, 04:04:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2019, 04:04:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Learning about Religions  (Read 3540 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 23, 2007, 06:32:25 pm »

Though the conversation has somewhat meandered off the original topic, my thread Pagan Religions: A List has gotten me thinking. (Can you smell the smoke?)

If you were a total newbie to any religion/spiritual path, what questions would you be asking? What would be the basic questions that you'd need answered to feel like you had a pretty decent, if not general, idea of what the religion is all about? (This can be for any religion or path, not just pagan.)

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

ginnflynn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 15, 2009, 08:54:49 pm

Religion: Generic Pagan/Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 23, 2007, 10:32:11 pm »

Hmmm, interesting question.  Probably something along the lines of "How do you see the Divine?" and "How do you contact the Divine?" And maybe some general info on ethics to round things out.  That would give me a good starting point, I think.

Rose_Morningstar
Apprentice
Last Login:November 23, 2007, 01:47:13 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Constantly changing. The only thing that stays the same is my belief that all religions are valid.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 23, 2007, 11:11:20 pm »

I'd want to know what that religion's stand on certain questions that are important to me would be. I don't know if I could ever belong to a religion that saw women as totally inferior to men, for example, so if that was a crucial part of a religion's teachings, that religion would in all likelihood be right out of the running for me.

"How do you connect with the Divine" is a good question, too, as was said by ginnflynn, and I'd certainly want to read/read about any holy books that the religion used.

All the sun long it was running, it was lovely, the hay
Fields high as the house, the tunes from the chimneys, it was air
And playing, lovely and watery
And fire green as grass,
And nightly under the simple stars
As I rode to sleep the owls were bearing the farm away,
All the moon long I heard, blessed among the stables, the nightjars
Flying with the ricks, and the horses
Flashing into the dark.

~From "Fern Hill" by Dylan Thomas
bjohn28515
Last Login:April 20, 2007, 01:06:36 am

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 25, 2007, 07:41:48 pm »

If you were a total newbie to any religion/spiritual path, what questions would you be asking?

I'd ask, what am I looking for or need from this and what is expected of me.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: March 25, 2007, 07:54:57 pm »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Ashirin
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 16, 2007, 10:32:58 pm

Religion: Eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 27, 2007, 09:00:08 pm »

Along with the good questions posed above me, throughout the thread, I would also ask what's the purpose of my individual life within the tenets of the faith? What am I expected to do? How am I expected to live to be considered faithful?

These are pretty important questions, imho, because how one lives one's life should be an important part of faith also.  I mean it's one thing to proclaim that you follow "Bob the Giant Cheese", but do you follow Bob's teachings, or the teachings of other of Bob's followers?  Do they live life and conduct themselves in a  way you can not only live with, but one that seems right to you?
rockchickcass
Last Login:March 30, 2007, 01:43:59 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 28, 2007, 06:25:12 pm »

as ashirin says, my initial questions would be, and were, where do I fit into this thing??? I think its so easy to see faith as something extrinsic, spmething imposed. It is looking at how I, as an individual fit in, what makes me part of this? Domy actions have consequence? So much prganised religion is based around forgiveness, and unconditional absolution, i would be asking what makes this way of life different...why must I account for my actions.

Of couse this is all in heinsight....and the questions I SHOULD have asked at the begining.
Ashirin
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 16, 2007, 10:32:58 pm

Religion: Eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 28, 2007, 09:27:00 pm »

Of couse this is all in heinsight....and the questions I SHOULD have asked at the begining.

*nod* Exactly. But that's ok, I think. Now, when I look at my spirituality, and my religion, I'm able to give a much more...honest, maybe, look at my direction and needs.  I'm in a much better place religiously speaking, than I was when I started on my path, but I still find myself seeking.  I'm just able to ask more questions now. *grin*

I expect though that 10 years from now, I'll be saying, 'You know, I should have seen to ask *this* question back then!'  *Snicker*
Zanshin
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 17, 2007, 02:21:06 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 14, 2007, 07:18:05 am »

I'd be asking:

How is my life? Am I grounded and centred? Am I genuinely focused on growth and balance? Am I looking for escapism and fantasy, or am I accepting and working with my own realities? Why am I considering entering a world of religion? What do I expect from it? What appeals to me about this religion? Am I intrigued by its imagery and aura? Do I like the people involved? Are my attractions to it grounded and holistic? Is it appealing to my Muladhara chakra as much as my Sahasrara chakra? I.E. Is it appealing to my actual earthly reality as much as my cerebral and ethereal longings? I'd ask over and over: what do I want from this, and why do I want it? Is this wanting grounded, or will it lead me away from my totality into a partial version of myself. If I want this thing that I currently don't have, what is that telling me about where I currently am? Does it mean I'm unsatisfied with what I have? What am I lacking? Will I be gaining it, or just evading it? Why can't I make things work without this other thing? Is it a tool or an escape?

Etc. I think anyone embarking upon any religious journey should be asking a lot of very mundane questions about themselves first of all. Many, many people launch themselves into religion or occultism as a substitute for something they feel they lack within themselves, and attempt to evade the real work by immersing themselves in something they find more interesting and glamorous (and almost all of them say 'Yes, but not me!). It's interesting to remember that the word 'glamour' actually means a spell or an enchantment. It can take a long time to see through such things and listen again to the little voice telling you to remember yourself. Been there, done that, had my tower collapse. I recommend anyone pay very close attention to their foundations before building any big towers within religion. And then ask which religion is using imagery and language that you find useful and positive within your own life. What kind of images and language will help, and not distract from the process? At that point you might just recognise it anyway, as it might just feel on all levels like a challenging but welcoming way of getting home to yourself.

That's my take anyway, FWIW.

mauvedragon
Apprentice
Last Login:August 30, 2007, 09:57:12 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Christian Heretic and Pagan

Hokmah's daughter

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 25, 2007, 09:16:02 am »

Etc. I think anyone embarking upon any religious journey should be asking a lot of very mundane questions about themselves first of all.

Other than asking questions of myself, I'd also be asking questions like:

How does the community of this faith relate to each other? Can I practice in private?

Someday I must read this scholar Everyone….He seems to have written so much, all of it wrong. – the Emperor Mage, Tamora Pierce

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)