The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 27, 2023, 01:49:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 27, 2023, 01:49:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is it true that...? - Stuff claimed by 101 books  (Read 11798 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 15, 2023, 06:19:42 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: February 16, 2008, 04:31:19 pm »

I once bought a book about Ancient Egyptian magic that contained almost an entire chapter devoted to a discussion of chakras.
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Newage.  Rhymes with "sewage".

I think I need to  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes some more.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: February 16, 2008, 05:49:37 pm »

Newage.  Rhymes with "sewage".

*laughs when he finally gets the joke*

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: February 16, 2008, 05:51:56 pm »

I once bought a book about Ancient Egyptian magic that contained almost an entire chapter devoted to a discussion of chakras. This wouldn't be all that bad, I guess, but the author was quite insistent that the Ancient Egyptian people were the first to recognise and work with them.

::eyebrows rising to points:: It always amazes me what nonsense can get published.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #33: February 16, 2008, 06:16:23 pm »

Or rules such as "When doing this, you should at all times do that" and other silly things like that  Cheesy

Or the opposite of that. Poppy Palin is really awful with her attitude of "it's ok not to pay attention to magical correspondences and anything else that is confusing or difficult. Just do what feels good." God knows how many people have had their magickal eyebrows burned off with that kind of advice. Or more likely got no results whatsoever and decided that it was all bs in the first place.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: February 16, 2008, 06:37:58 pm »

Believe me, he isn't the only Pagan/New Ager to claim to be a reincarnation of someone famous.  I think I've came across ten different Cleopatras in the five years I've been posting on Pagan message boards.

Well, really when you stop and think about it who really wants to be the reincarnation of the Kings stableboy?

"Make way!  Make Ye waaay!  Make way for the Kings Stableboy!"

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: February 16, 2008, 07:05:27 pm »

Well, really when you stop and think about it who really wants to be the reincarnation of the Kings stableboy?

"Make way!  Make Ye waaay!  Make way for the Kings Stableboy!"

(lol)

I think that what bugs me the most is that these people always claim to be the incarnation of someone famous.  Sure there are people running around claiming to be Cleopatra, but no one is saying that they're the reincarnation of her younger brother/first husband.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #36: February 17, 2008, 03:37:35 am »

Believe me, he isn't the only Pagan/New Ager to claim to be a reincarnation of someone famous.  I think I've came across ten different Cleopatras in the five years I've been posting on Pagan message boards.
Might be funny to ask them out and watch them get historic facts wrong...but wait, it's the history books which got them wrong...

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: February 25, 2008, 07:42:22 pm »

He has done a lot of weird stuff.  A few years a go he tried to summon the Loch Ness Monster, just as an example.  And I once saw him on TV preforming an exorcism on a bed once slept in by Aleister Crowley.

The bed exorcism has become a running joke among my friends.  A bit of misinterpretation spawned the idea of getting furniture out of the house by exorcizing it - except that it just might end up in the nearest herd of swine.  Wink

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #38: September 06, 2008, 10:08:24 am »

I'm reading Cunningham's Magical Household at the moment and there's a lot of funny and questionable stuff in it, although I find it a very useful book for all the good stuff it has. Just want to share this quote and hope someone with more expertise on early church history could comment on it:

Quote from: Cunningham, Magical Household, p. 53
A powerful church linking bathing with older Pagan religions, thaught that cleanliness was kin to evil, causing Western Europe to suffer through centuries of abysmal body odors.

I know people in the middle age thought washing was unhealthy, but was it really the fault of the church?  Huh

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #39: September 06, 2008, 12:31:40 pm »

I know people in the middle age thought washing was unhealthy, but was it really the fault of the church?  Huh

There's a website here: http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/baths.html that does an overview of various bathing patterns/histories in that time period - and more usefully, quotes a variety of other sources/scholars, making it easier to track down specific points.

There's a couple of things going on:
- Jewish practice includes a particular emphasis on whole-body immersion at regular points: during the Inquisition and at other times/places where anti-Semitism flared, regular compulsive bathing was sometimes noted as a crypto-Jewish practice (i.e. one of the things that people who were Jewish but pretending to be Christian might do - also included were particular household preparations on Friday nights, the use or avoidance of various foods, etc.) Since being labelled as a crypto-Jew has *all* sorts of negative repercussions, people avoided those markers, even when they were not remotely Jewish.

- Bathing was not, per se, discouraged by the Catholic church - but both attachment to the earthly body and immodesty were considered problematic and at least potentially sinful. They're certainly both ongoing topics of discussion/teaching in the time period. This is a complex message to get across ("bathe, but not too much or in the wrong way") and it's not surprising (especially given other factors) that this got translated as "we don't bathe much")

- We're also just plain talking about places in which running water was non-existent, heating large quantities of water was extremely labor intensive, and places which, in winter, it might be a severe shock to the body to deal with cold/drafts/etc. without adequate clothing. (Remember that the Little Ice Age, as it's commonly called, was in effect from 1300 to 1850ish: temperatures in England, France, and Germany (and points north) were notably cooler than they are today. My favorite example of the climate shift is that New York Harbor, an ocean-facing harbor, froze over in early *July* in 1780. (nice summary here: http://www.bu.edu/bridge/archive/2001/11-02/iceage.htm

All of that said, *washing* was quite common - face, shoulders, hands and arms, feet and legs - it was just full-blown immersion in water that became less common.

So, while Cunningham's wrong about the base reasoning (it's not cleanliness, but either the process of washing, or 'excessive' washing that are seen as potentially sinful), the basic idea (that full-blown baths were out of favor, and that there are some religious reasons for that) is not as far off as it might be.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Ridley Craft
Apprentice
Last Login:September 15, 2008, 12:50:23 am

Religion: Probabalistic Sorcerer

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: September 07, 2008, 03:43:02 am »

In a book about Druids by Miranda J. Green I've read that there's a Neopagan British guy who thinks he is the reincarnation of King Artus. I have skimmed the book at a friend's and don't remember the name of the guy. Does anyone know if this is true? (The guy is really sure he has been King Artus in a past life?) I don't want to offend anyone, but to be honest my friend and I both laughed our asses off.

Has anyone else come across funny/questionable stuff?

David Icke, I think thats all I have to say, this man believes that the Bush family are a race of lizard creatures from another dimension or something along those lines. I guess that having an over active imagination prone to science fiction and gullbility directed toward ones self dont mix well, I hope no one takes him seriously.

I find it easier to pull the wool over a blind mans eyes, then it is to teach a sheep to think for itself.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #41: September 07, 2008, 12:37:49 pm »

Thanks, that makes more sense. Cunningham has a lot of interesting material, but I find he has a habit of short-displaying and disconnecting them.

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: September 10, 2008, 03:28:53 pm »

So, while Cunningham's wrong about the base reasoning (it's not cleanliness, but either the process of washing, or 'excessive' washing that are seen as potentially sinful), the basic idea (that full-blown baths were out of favor, and that there are some religious reasons for that) is not as far off as it might be.

A discussion I heard on Radio 4 recently suggested that, as well as the anti-Jewish thing there was the fact bathing was very popular with all those lusty, sinful (and pagan) Romans. Also that it was a sign of vanity and unhealthy obsession with the flesh. :p

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.