The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 06, 2021, 12:34:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2021, 12:34:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Who thought this was a nice place to live?  (Read 7327 times)
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 18, 2007, 06:09:09 am »

...Tammy, a registerd Saddle Bred,27 or 28...

That is a supremely aged mare - congrats.  I bet she's a good friend, too. Smiley

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 18, 2007, 06:09:41 am »

My horses would die if they ever even saw snow.

Cheesy

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: December 18, 2007, 09:24:34 pm »

That is a supremely aged mare - congrats.  I bet she's a good friend, too. Smiley

Suprisingly she has spent most of her life without shelter.  That here in W. Central IL.  She is having some problems now, not that they affect her fisty temperment.

Handsome on the other hand has been a hard keeper and has had foot problems for a number of yrs.  He has been stalled for the past 3 or 4 yrs. 
Athystle
Journeyman
Last Login:June 26, 2011, 06:05:23 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: December 19, 2007, 04:33:53 pm »

I'll take the clear and cold temps, the fog, and the new snow in the hills out here, thanks.  Wink

Will that ice caked on the horses' ears cause frostbite and/or other problems?

Here in northern Vt. we got 22 inches in the storm last Sun and Mon. Getting another 7-9 tonight through tomorrow they say now. I have had horses since 1969 who are kept out but have a nice shed to go into if they choose. During that storm last weekend they stayed out amost the whole time standing with their rears to the wind while the snow piled up on them. I find they almost always choose out over in. Horses have amazing insulating abilities and are healthier being able to choose when they want to go in out of the weather over being kept inside all winter. In all the years I have had horses I have never had a sick one except for a hoof abcess once which has nothing to do with cold weather. Never had any frostbite or anything like that. As long as a horse has not been clipped or just recently came from a warmer climate where it wouldn't have gotten natures signal to grow a thick furry coat would an animal need to be blanketed or kept inside but it is nice to have something for them to go into if they should desire.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: December 19, 2007, 09:29:03 pm »

During that storm last weekend they stayed out amost the whole time standing with their rears to the wind while the snow piled up on them. I find they almost always choose out over in. Horses have amazing insulating abilities and are healthier being able to choose when they want to go in out of the weather over being kept inside all winter.

If they have access to forage, horses can withstand incredible hardships.  They ferment the forage in their gut, producing heat (and gas, which is why they fart so much) that gets them through incredible weather.

I only bring in the ones who are shivering.  Even the weanlings were not shivering, having grown the shaggy coat you mentioned.

Amazing animals - far ahead of us. Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)