The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 09:48:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 09:48:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What does religion give you?  (Read 7650 times)
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 20, 2007, 02:39:58 pm »

"If God made and loves everyone," which I felt (and still feel) He/She did, then I could see no reason He/She would condemn people to hell since he made them as non-Christians, in Non-Christian cultures, without the benefit of Christian upbringing.

Goes along with the whole hypocritical idea of preaching an all loving, all forgiving God and then turning around and listing the exceptions.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Didgeridoo
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 02:46:07 pm

Religion: Panentheistic/Universalist

Let me think about that...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 20, 2007, 03:07:13 pm »

That's a nice concept. Yet I think *some* Christians *may* argue with you by saying you only feel like that because Satan has influenced you, lol.

You are, sadly, very correct. More so than you know. I have been condemned by Christian family members, Christian ministers, and so on for being seduced by the Devil and told that I preach the doctrine of the Anti-Christ. After all, according to some interpretations of Revelations, Universalism is the end-times world religion. It is sad that I have to deal with that accusation, but I do. Regularly really.

It's such a convient out really. I can't really argue with that statement since there is no right answer. It's like the child's game of "So are you still a pathological liar?" or "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?". There is no answer that doesn't make you wrong.

To tie this back into the original topic. The Universalism that I believe in is part of what I saught in religion. A God that truely is loving without exception. Like the old saying goes, you may stop loving God but God doesn't loving you.

The more a person looks on everything as divine-
more divine than it is in itself-
the more will God be pleased.

A person works in a stable.
That person has a Breakthrough.
What does he do?
He returns to work in the stable.

-Meister Eckhart
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: December 21, 2007, 12:02:01 am »

what do you want out of your religious path?  Where is your spirituality leading you and what do you look to gain from it?

This echoes what many have already said, but...

A connection to the Divine, in my case personified by Brighid.
A better understanding of what my role is here in this life.
Peace.
Hope.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: December 21, 2007, 04:01:47 am »

And so I ask of you, what do you want out of your religious path?  Where is your spirituality leading you and what do you look to gain from it?

All i really want/hope for is a better understanding of myself and a source of comfort and connectedness in hard times... But I'm someone who needs to believe in something Kiss

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: December 22, 2007, 05:42:07 pm »

My religious path is helping me to learn. To learn about myself, to learn about others, and to learn about the mysterious universe around me. It's a never-ending quest, and that's fine with me.

I agree with this. In addition to learning, my religion makes me feel good. The "soul enrichment" mentioned by FierFlye. I enjoy it. Feeling that connection with the Earth keeps things in check and gives me peace of mind. I am a speck in time; I want to make my experience as good as I can. My religion helps keep things in perspective, and not to sweat the small stuff.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Magpie
Apprentice
Last Login:January 30, 2011, 03:50:05 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox

Gravatar

Dice and Diamonds

Blog entries (0)

the_magpie

Ignore
« Reply #20: December 26, 2007, 10:38:56 pm »

Iíve been asking myself a lot of really basic (and very hard) questions pertaining to spirituality lately.  In a different thread, Soulfire gave me this advice:(emphasis mine)

And so I ask of you, what do you want out of your religious path?  Where is your spirituality leading you and what do you look to gain from it?

You wouldn't believe how long it's taken me to answer this. My religion, simply put, gives me happiness. It gives me connection in a familial way with the deities I serve. It gives me a better understanding of the workings of the universe and my place in them. It gives me a paradigm in which I can meditate and understand myself.

But mostly, it gives me happiness.

"The gods care not if you rage and thrash your breast. They hear not words but thoughts. They speak not to ears. Be silent then and let them speak to the god within. Be quieter still and let the will speak through you."
Awakening Osiris - Normandi Ellis
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #21: December 27, 2007, 11:21:20 am »

You wouldn't believe how long it's taken me to answer this.

It's tough coming up with answers to simple questions, isnt' it? 

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Grymdycche
Journeyman
Last Login:December 09, 2009, 03:42:56 pm

Religion: Aspiring Trad Witchcraft

I never speak in absolutes ..except this one

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 02, 2008, 08:15:56 pm »

Wow, I never thought about that before (people who are never exposed to Christianity).  Seems so obvious now. Roll Eyes

I could give you a mile long laundry list of Judeo-Christian conundrums and paradoxes like that.
Things that make you go, "hmmmm.." !

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
Grymdycche
Journeyman
Last Login:December 09, 2009, 03:42:56 pm

Religion: Aspiring Trad Witchcraft

I never speak in absolutes ..except this one

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 02, 2008, 08:26:07 pm »

Iíve been asking myself a lot of really basic (and very hard) questions pertaining to spirituality lately.  In a different thread, Soulfire gave me this advice:(emphasis mine)

Actually, religion gives me nothing.  It's spirituality I seek, if anything.
That will give me all the things people here have already listed:  a oneness with nature and the universe, inner peace, a sense of knowing or purpose, etc.
All religion does is organize it and give it a common structure. I find that a little too impersonal and limiting, in most cases.
It's great if you want that feeling of belonging with others, a sense of spiritual community, I guess. 
I dislike organized religion, though, I really don't think anyone else can really tell me what my "path" is or what Deity is or is like.  They can suggest things, sure, but it's still up to us what we believe and which we choose.
Or maybe I'm just an iconoclast.   Tongue

Qualis vir, talis oratio
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard might not be what I meant
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 02, 2008, 08:50:35 pm »

I dislike organized religion, though, I really don't think anyone else can really tell me what my "path" is or what Deity is or is like.  They can suggest things, sure, but it's still up to us what we believe and which we choose.
Or maybe I'm just an iconoclast.   Tongue

*snort* join the club...

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 04, 2008, 03:58:10 pm »

I want it to challenge me and that is what I am getting.  As well it I believe it is leading me to be more in touch with my ancestors and myself than any other path could offer me.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)