The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2020, 04:35:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 04:35:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hellenic Polytheism  (Read 5487 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: December 20, 2007, 08:26:03 am »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

I know I am interested in Hellenic Polytheism, although raised christian. I am young but very intellectual I am considered to be somewhat advanced for my age. My question would have to be what god should be my patron god?

Fiamma's got some great advice, but I wanted to add a couple of thoughts...

First off, don't feel like you have to have a patron.  It's not a requirement by any means.  Smiley  If you don't feel particularly drawn to a specific deity, then there's no need to seek one out just for the sake of having a patron.

Second, I'm wondering from your message if your problem is also partly "who should I follow, Athena or Hades".  If that's the case...  Unless one or the other (or both) of Them are putting up resistance to the idea, you don't necessarily have to choose.  Provided They're both OK with it, there's no rule that says you can only have one patron.  Wink

And this caught my eye in your post too:
Although Zeus, Hera, Athena, and apollo are the usual patron gods to other hellenic polytheists, I would like to worship and know Hades.

Whatever you wind up doing, I recommend against choosing a patron just because they're popular.  Just because those deities have more people running around saying, "I follow THIS god!" doesn't mean that you also have to choose one of them as your patron.  My advice is to choose based on which deities you feel a connection to or a call from, not based on who everyone else is following.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.